PDA

View Full Version : EK1 using 98 oct fuel

cvicek
25-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Hey Member,

Just wondering, i been using 98 oct fuel for my honda civic Ek, and the car are running prefectly find, but 1999 honda civic are recomended to use 91 oct.

Will it damage the engine?

Muzz
25-08-2007, 07:50 PM
No, not at all.
Complete waste of money to use a higher octane fuel than necissary though.

cvicek
26-08-2007, 03:21 PM
But i used the lower oct fuel before, i find that the enginee is not as powerful, and also when startup at cold weather, it doens't startup as smooth.....

Issit just me ?

defect
26-08-2007, 03:27 PM
probably just you, your only wasting extra money you dont need to use

Dell99
26-08-2007, 08:59 PM
isn't the fuel cleaner with less carbon build up or something or rather

to say that its just a complete waste of money i must disagree

teaseR
26-08-2007, 09:55 PM
some people state that they get more milage using 98 octane then 91. i think theres a difference couple of dollars more u keep the injectors clean then u save on injector cleaners =)

bennjamin
26-08-2007, 10:02 PM
No, not at all.
Complete waste of money to use a higher octane fuel than necissary though.

Do tell why :)

Under the impression and experience that using a higher octane fuel than rated on the fuel cap ( for example "USE UNLEADED ONLY" , use 98 octane) gives better economy and also smoother running engine. For the extra 10c per litre and $3 ish per tank , you (can) get around 50-80 more ks out of a tank.
Have a browse of this recent thread about different fuels
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12837

mrwillz
26-08-2007, 10:33 PM
the benefits outweigh the cost 3-5bux extra
BIG WOOP

98 ftw

hengz
26-08-2007, 10:48 PM
mrwillz knows his shiz. rip old ek1

hondavti25
26-08-2007, 11:04 PM
i use 98 on my ej8 and it runs to me a fair bit smoother then 91 id spend the extra money treat your car to the best :)

Mugen Civic
27-08-2007, 02:19 AM
I use Shell V-power and my EK civic that i'm using now has never tasted anything else. It runs alot more smoother and the 98 octane petrol claims to clean the engine. I have experimented with my other EK civic with the different octane petrol but mostly use 98 octane on it. When I went down to 95 octance fuel (Shell had a 98 octane petrol shortage at the time) it ran with a lack of power and didn't seem to do as much Kms. Can't imagine how bad 91 octane fuel would feel.

So yea, I give 98 octane fuel the thumbs up for Civic Ek's. It is more expensive but I believe the long run would pay off.

:thumbsup:

cvicek
27-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Have you try to Ultimate from BP? Because i use to thought that SHell is better... So i use V-power, but after i swap to BP Ultimate, the car runs the sames, but the cold startup are better/faster.

But the Km doesn't go as much as Shell. . .

SeverAMV
27-08-2007, 09:08 AM
apparently shell v-power contains 5% ethanol, which adds a little to fuel efficiency.
but if you have a honda warranty, it is void if you use ethanol on any of their pre-2003 vehicles.
that and i wouldnt recommend using ethanol based fuels unless you burn thru it fast, otherwise you'll be giving it enough time to oxidise to ethanoic acid. on one hand, this is good, as ethanoic acid has twice the oxygen content of ethanol. on the other hand, it will corrode parts, noticeably your fuel lines.

@Dell99 - octane has carbon in it, therefore higher octane = more carbon. no point in using high octane unless you can get enough air in the motor to combust it properly (most cases a pod filter will do).

nvdvtc
27-08-2007, 10:52 AM
hey guyz.....

well from what i say and ive been hearin yes V-POWER does giv u alot of rsponse but but it eats through ur fuel line i dont noe if thats true but that what ive been told so0o i dont use it but what do u guyz think........????

cheers NAB.16A

Mugen Civic
27-08-2007, 11:21 AM
no there are two types of V-power. V-power has no ethanol and is 98 octane. V-power racing has ethanol and is 100 octane.
EK1 is not recommended to use fuels with ethanol greater than 10% I think... or was it no ethanol at all, can't remember.

But yea, the reason why I only use V-power and not BP or the others out there is because I live across the road from Shell. Just fill up as I need to when I leave or go. Usually around Tuesday's - Wednesday's cause that the cheapest for the week usually. Get around 500Km's outta one tank full (I think 45L) if I run it bone dry.

CTR Coupe
27-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Ben, AFAK when using 98 the cost out weighs the benefits. I run 98 i probably don't need too. to be honest i cant tell the difference between 98/92. idle might be slightly smoother but thats probably more to do with other additives they put in it rather than the octane aspect.

SeverAMV
27-08-2007, 01:59 PM
[B]
EK1 is not recommended to use fuels with ethanol greater than 10% I think... or was it no ethanol at all, can't remember.

shouldnt be using any ethanol at all unless your civic is at least an 7th gen-ish (the EP shape?). the other problem with using ethanol when you shouldnt is that it combusts much faster than octane due to less oxygen required for the combustion process, so if your car cant handle it, you will get some knocking.

bennjamin
27-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Ben, AFAK when using 98 the cost out weighs the benefits. I run 98 i probably don't need too. to be honest i cant tell the difference between 98/92. idle might be slightly smoother but thats probably more to do with other additives they put in it rather than the octane aspect.

It became apparent after about 2-3 full tanks of normal driving that the ECU seemed to adjust to this new fuel ( caltex 98 ) and i started to get quite better economy and "feel". Ive been told its due to the denser fuel , so the ECU will self trim and run a touch leaner giving you less fuel used per combustion stroke so less fuel used overall.

Mugen Civic
27-08-2007, 09:08 PM
shouldnt be using any ethanol at all unless your civic is at least an 7th gen-ish (the EP shape?). the other problem with using ethanol when you shouldnt is that it combusts much faster than octane due to less oxygen required for the combustion process, so if your car cant handle it, you will get some knocking.

yea thought so, thanks for clearing that up

tune2look
27-08-2007, 09:49 PM
on my ek1 with 98 octane fuel, I have short wheelspin into 2nd, and a skid into 3rd.

time to time I put standard 91 fuel to see how it goes.... (like... ben saying its too much for my crappy d16.... I actually beleive him.... EVERYTIME!)
it will only make a skid into 2nd and 0.5 rpm drops down compare to 98oct.

Few times I tryed V-power racing, 100 octane!!! the car runs like V8. haha.
to ek1 owner... 0.1 increase of torque counts!!!

anyway, final experience....
last year on the way back from a holiday with bunch of uni friends,
I had 2 girls on board, mates s15 had 1boy, 1girl on board.
2 runs, got 1.

cant say where but not strip. with 2 of ozhonda members together...

Sound strange? I couldnt believe what I was driving!!
My ek has a DIY CAI, axle back xforce, 16'' BSA(back then).
s15 has custom downpipe and HKS silence cat back, 17'' rays.
We both has nothing...
first run I started to high and ended up with heaps of wheelspin then gave up...
Second was the winwin and it was done with experimental V-Power + Octane Booster!
I know the other driver wasnt the best, but see the point?

"EK1 should not even climb up a hill with 3 people in it, dare to run s15!?!"

high octane fuel does make impossible possible!

Chi
27-08-2007, 10:07 PM
on my ek1 with 98 octane fuel, I have short wheelspin into 2nd, and a skid into 3rd.

time to time I put standard 91 fuel to see how it goes.... (like... ben saying its too much for my crappy d16.... I actually beleive him.... EVERYTIME!)

2 runs, got 1.

We both has nothing...
first run I started to high and ended up with heaps of wheelspin then gave up...
Second was the winwin and it was done with experimental V-Power + Octane Booster!

WTF BBQ?!!

Encor3
27-08-2007, 11:29 PM

2 runs, got 1.

We both has nothing...

have you driven V8's... a civic's power and torque is nothing compared to a V8 car.

I doubt you get wheelspin in 2nd, unless your driving around in oil with no grip tyres.
Yes 98 octane will give you more power, but it wont make you wheelspin and give you 10kw atw.
98 octane is totally differnt to NOS, nos will make impossible possible... 98 octane wont make your car that much faster.

You cant talk about street racing on ozhonda , not to mention its illegal.

I think most of the time these personal opinions would be subjective and more of a placebo then anything.

I suggest go out and test it out for yourself make sure you log how many kms you do. Thats the only real test you can do, unless you want to dyno with different fuels. Bum dyno isn't exactly accurate

98 octane is better fuel then 91 obviously but it doesn't make the impossible possible, it just burns cleaner and more power, responce and better fuel consumption. IMO go for it.

1996ek1
27-08-2007, 11:30 PM
WTF BBQ?!!

LOL ..

tune2look
28-08-2007, 10:34 AM

two things i mentioned earlier, I never said anything wrong.

Better comburtion and better flow is directed towards torque. I CLEARLY SAID 0.1!!!

and everyone knows weight is killer for d16y4s. with 3 people in a civic even without any audio gear, it souldnt even go close to turbocharged 2.0.

and YES I have driven V8 before and I know what it feels like.
Dont just assume that this poor d-series owner knows nothing about anything.
just becuz i have a car that is not good enough for 98 oct then you, let says.... er... b16? b18??? .... WHATEVA.

My signature kindly asked you to correct me, not critism.
"have you driven v8??" wasnt just good enough to overwhelm what i said!

bennjamin
28-08-2007, 04:13 PM
come on guys lets not get carried away. Dotn speak of racing on the street :)

It is official , that a higher rated fuel will give some improvement on "feel" of your motor and also on economy. Just nothing amazing.

For higher powered motors and tuned etc a higher rated fuel is a must :)

Encor3
28-08-2007, 07:34 PM
two things i mentioned earlier, I never said anything wrong.

Better comburtion and better flow is directed towards torque. I CLEARLY SAID 0.1!!!

and everyone knows weight is killer for d16y4s. with 3 people in a civic even without any audio gear, it souldnt even go close to turbocharged 2.0.

and YES I have driven V8 before and I know what it feels like.
Dont just assume that this poor d-series owner knows nothing about anything.
just becuz i have a car that is not good enough for 98 oct then you, let says.... er... b16? b18??? .... WHATEVA.

My signature kindly asked you to correct me, not critism.
"have you driven v8??" wasnt just good enough to overwhelm what i said!

Never said anything aboutt your car. Or how rich or poor you are. Never said you know nothing. You haven't really said anything that is factual nor proven. Ek1 out running s15 just based on fuel?sounds a bit farfetched and a bit of bs.. no offense.

Any proof that you have short wheelspin in 2nd and skid in 3rd just because you have are using 98 octane?

98 octane is a better fuel but it isn't nos...

Back on topic.

Like i said previously.
Just go for it and log how many kms your getting per tank, try to keep driving conditions and styles different for a few tanks, just so that it doesn't mess with the info your collecting.

I would collect
Date, Type of Fuel, Amount filled up, Amount driven.

I've found mobil 8000 to give me the best mileage per tank. V-power is little less but definately has more responce then 8000. Never tried ultimate as there isn't a BP near where i live.

Mugen Civic
29-08-2007, 03:28 AM
I usually get 500Km on 40 Litres. Fuel light turns on with abouts 7 Litres left in the tank, knowing this is because I fill it to the brim and its abouts 37~38 Litres and I know its a 45 Litre tank. Only using V-power 98 octane from Shell.
Only engine mods is K&N pod filter (pretty good on airflow) and muffler (which I don't think has much on performance contribution).
I do have things that weigh the car down like two 12" subs and 2 Amps in the boot all the time so that would contribute to less KM.

Still :thumbsup: to V-Power