PDA

View Full Version : dc2 vtir help

j421Lo
29-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Hey OH,

Need some assistance about the issues iv'e had with my car, this only started last night

1) I was driving last night and everything was fine

2) A mate drove it for about 5 mins n gave it a good dose of vtec.

3) I got in the drivers seat and noticed the revs were down to zero n he didnt stall the car. Tried to start it once and nothing, second time did the job

4) While driving home the acceleration felt very laggy,it didnt have the same response as normal on all gears. i had to plant the pedal to get the car going.

3) This only happened once, While gearing down to stop, the revs stayed on 2.5k for a few seconds while breaking and almost to a halt.

4) This morning while driving, the car was running fine and I couldnt notice any of the symptoms that was occuring from the night before.

5) Tried turning on my alarm and it didnt work, checked under the hood n found out the the positive lead on the battery wasn't connected. Hooked it back up n turned on the alarm and everythin was fine.

My question: Could the loose connection on the battery be the reason for the problem with the accelration/revs? Or could it be something else?

Any input you guys have is appreciated

j421Lo
29-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Anyone got an idea wat it could be?

TRU32U
29-08-2007, 06:23 PM
nope dussnt sound liek it should affect it its a battery...

jdmTYPE R
29-08-2007, 06:39 PM
its doesnt affect it in the day but at night it does coz your headlights drain power from the battery and alt ...

rikstar
29-08-2007, 08:30 PM
3) I got in the drivers seat and noticed the revs were down to zero n he didnt stall the car. Tried to start it once and nothing, second time did the job

Check if the leads that connect to the battery have any moisture/residue... i had this problem with my 98 integra. It was so bad that i had to cut about an inch of the wire off and re-connect. There stuff you can buy from Autobarn that stops this from happening if its the issue.

4) While driving home the acceleration felt very laggy,it didnt have the same response as normal on all gears. i had to plant the pedal to get the car going.

Check your air filter, it could be really dirty and needs a clean. I always notice i get better acceleration response when i have just cleaned my air filter.

Just some ideas... good luck.

Cheers.

T-onedc2
29-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Anyone got an idea wat it could be?
How many km's has the car done and when was the last service by a mechanic?

B18cEG
29-08-2007, 11:29 PM
First of all while the car was being v-tec'k and driven rough the positive terminal may have come off, when the car was coming to a stop the revs may haved dropped low enough so that the altenator couldn't produce enough power to keep the car running, and since the possitive terminal was off, the car stalled. When you came to start the car again the terminal may have been just resting on the battery post to display gauges but when started there wasn't enough connection to crank. The second time round the terminal may have moved just enough to make connection then start the car. While driving if the positive terminal had moved enough it may have just scraped on the body of the car causing the symptoms you had, but not enough to blow the fuse. Now that you have connected the terminal to the post securely there shouldn't be any more probs.

Thanks and enjoy

j421Lo
30-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Thanks for all the input. My car seems to be runnin fine now.

j421Lo
30-08-2007, 09:04 AM

Check if the leads that connect to the battery have any moisture/residue... i had this problem with my 98 integra. It was so bad that i had to cut about an inch of the wire off and re-connect. There stuff you can buy from Autobarn that stops this from happening if its the issue.

Check your air filter, it could be really dirty and needs a clean. I always notice i get better acceleration response when i have just cleaned my air filter.

Just some ideas... good luck.

Cheers.

Thanks for the advice m8. So it is a definite that a loose connection can affect the revs.
About the air filter, its probably is a good thing to give it a clean but i dont think it was the problem since fixing the connection on the batt cleared its symptoms.

j421Lo
30-08-2007, 09:10 AM
How many km's has the car done and when was the last service by a mechanic?

cars clocked 171k... but its still runnin sweet except for that night. Had a minor service done about 4k ago by a certified mech

j421Lo
30-08-2007, 09:13 AM
First of all while the car was being v-tec'k and driven rough the positive terminal may have come off, when the car was coming to a stop the revs may haved dropped low enough so that the altenator couldn't produce enough power to keep the car running, and since the possitive terminal was off, the car stalled. When you came to start the car again the terminal may have been just resting on the battery post to display gauges but when started there wasn't enough connection to crank. The second time round the terminal may have moved just enough to make connection then start the car. While driving if the positive terminal had moved enough it may have just scraped on the body of the car causing the symptoms you had, but not enough to blow the fuse. Now that you have connected the terminal to the post securely there shouldn't be any more probs.

Thanks and enjoy

I was thinkin pretty much the exact same things that u stated. I just wasn't sure if a loose terminal could affect the revs. Since securing it, it has been runnin like normal so it could have been the case. tnx

j421Lo
30-08-2007, 09:18 AM
One last question:

Just as a precaution, could there be any damages i should check for due to the problems i was having?

Tnx again

B18cEG
30-08-2007, 11:35 AM
should be all good, do you know how to do the code check? if now just pm me and i will guide u through
Thanks

T-onedc2
30-08-2007, 06:34 PM
you can do a fault code check by following this DIY thread

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8218&highlight=ecu+fault+codes

STOCK
30-08-2007, 07:18 PM
nice car thats lindas old one isnt it?

16CTEG
30-08-2007, 11:00 PM
yes the lead of of effected it! i had a loose earth cable once n it did the same! as the charge from the alternator isnt charging the batter! my dials where all over the place n felt sluggish! all your electrics run off thee battery! the alternator charges the battery!

j421Lo
31-08-2007, 08:35 AM
should be all good, do you know how to do the code check? if now just pm me and i will guide u through
Thanks

you can do a fault code check by following this DIY thread

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8218&highlight=ecu+fault+codes

tnx guys.. im familiar with the code check.. ill do it over the weekend. I'll post up any updates if anythin else got effected.

j421Lo
31-08-2007, 08:37 AM
nice car thats lindas old one isnt it?

Hey man... yeh it was. bought it around a year ago.... it dont look like her car no more... if u see her her, let her know im takin real good care of it:p\
Who is this by the way?

j421Lo
31-08-2007, 08:39 AM
yes the lead of of effected it! i had a loose earth cable once n it did the same! as the charge from the alternator isnt charging the batter! my dials where all over the place n felt sluggish! all your electrics run off thee battery! the alternator charges the battery!

tnx 4 dat.... at least it gives me a piece of mind that the lead was the cause for the problems and nothin else. Just wanted to make sure

B18cEG
31-08-2007, 10:38 AM

The battery is used to start the car, once the car is started the altenator charges the battery and assists in running the car, to prove this just start your car then lift off the battery terminals careful not to touch them on ANYTHING and watch " Wow the car is still running" haha.

Have fun

16CTEG
31-08-2007, 10:42 AM
The battery is used to start the car, once the car is started the altenator charges the battery and assists in running the car, to prove this just start your car then lift off the battery terminals careful not to touch them on ANYTHING and watch " Wow the car is still running" haha.

Have fun

I SAID the earth!!! not the battery terminal! it's happened to mee before! i used to work at honda! i was taking my gearbox out i out it back on and i didnt put the earth terminal on tightly enough n it caused me those problems!

j421Lo
31-08-2007, 01:58 PM

Have fun

I SAID the earth!!! not the battery terminal! it's happened to mee before! i used to work at honda! i was taking my gearbox out i out it back on and i didnt put the earth terminal on tightly enough n it caused me those problems!

eheheh u guys are funny. All should be good. At least next time that happens i know exactly whats goin on. tnx for all da info

STOCK
31-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Hey man... yeh it was. bought it around a year ago.... it dont look like her car no more... if u see her her, let her know im takin real good care of it:p\
Who is this by the way?

hahhahaha Will let her know your taking good care of it :thumbsup: Seen the car round greenvalley area and still remember it even without the c5s. Ive got the white DC2

j421Lo
31-08-2007, 04:39 PM
hahhahaha Will let her know your taking good care of it :thumbsup: Seen the car round greenvalley area and still remember it even without the c5s. Ive got the white DC2

So ur from da hood... ill keep an eye out! just honk or somethin if ever u see me

STOCK
31-08-2007, 04:42 PM
LoL narrows it down by saying white dc2 aye? LoL ill beep or blow off next time i see ya!