PDA

View Full Version : jerking on deceleration?

vinnY
29-08-2007, 12:39 PM
say i'm doing 45 in second then just let off the throttle, car seems to jerk back violently like i'm ever so slightly tapping the brakes coupled with a whirring sound
seems to have a slight whir when accelerating also

is there any way i can check whether the cv joints are fine even though the boot isn't split?
is there anything on the driveshaft i should be looking for? i.e. common faults with the driveshaft

engine's a stock b16a with a daikin clutch installed and fresh gearbox fluid, no metal shavings out of the gearbox when the oil was changed, so nothing seems wrong in there that i know of

probably haven't described much very well but i can't think of away to better describe it without knowing what people don't understand, so please ask questions if nothings clear so i can think of an answer :) thanks guys

Bayani
29-08-2007, 02:27 PM
It's your Gearbox taking it down to first speed.

It's fine :]
Well I think it's fine, 45 going in to 1st would do that.

I get it too if I don't slow down enough.

29-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Yep as above .. its normal :)

vinnY
29-08-2007, 02:33 PM
what do you mean by 45 into first though? i'm not downshifting just letting off the throttle
its probably more pronounced because of the solid torque and side engine mounts though... will have another look again soon :)

bennjamin
29-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Dont go into 1st gear until you are STOPPED. just cruise in 2nd until you are almost 0 and then clutch it. 1st gear is made to get you going under load ( uphill etc)

panda[cRx]
29-08-2007, 02:49 PM
yeh like ben said 1st gear isnt for normal driving, it's just to get you started.

Q_ball
29-08-2007, 02:49 PM
He just said he wasnt downshifting tho...

panda[cRx]
29-08-2007, 02:52 PM
well its not his cv joints.

pretty hard to go off what he's said. if you are concerned about it take ur mech for a quick spin and point it out when it happens so he knows what ur on about

bennjamin
29-08-2007, 03:06 PM
vinny , open ur bonnet while the engine is off - and grab the top of the engine and pull forwards and backwards. Excess movement will be caused by worn/broken engine mounts and can contribute to mishifting / funny noises crunches etc. Also look at the chance your input shaft bearing or release bearing are worn / bad

gnx1987
29-08-2007, 04:40 PM
Forgive me if I'm insulting your intelligence, but this has been posted in the noob forum and there's no way of telling your experience with cars or manual cars at least except for your join date. But I'll post this just in case.

45 in second gear would equate to about somewhere between 4 to 5 thousand revs wouldn't it? By what your saying it's hard to tell how violent it is. However at those kind of revs and going from open throttle to closed, the engine is going to be starved of a lot of air and is going to drop in rpm severely due to the sudden loss of air and the great need for it. The higher the rpm the more severe the jerk, obviously.

Get someone else who knows cars to have a look at it if I have insulted your intelligence.

ZeForce
29-08-2007, 04:41 PM
I think what he is refering too is just engine braking due to the very short first and second gear ratios of the B16a gearbox

panda[cRx]
29-08-2007, 04:52 PM
^ you would presume he'd be used to it after owning the car a while?

6000rpm
29-08-2007, 04:55 PM
try easing off the clutch a bit slower or rev match when downshifting.

vinnY
29-08-2007, 04:58 PM
no offense taken, just happy to have someone answer questions

its a bit different to the regular jerk of engine braking, it feels as if the brake is being jabbed coupled with a whirring sound
i'm not so worried about the jerking problem, thats probably because of worn mounts

i'm just worried about the whirrling sound coupled with the sudden deceleration and mild acceleration
probably lube up a few things and give it a shot later and see what i get

^its not that i'm suddenly letting go, heel and toe seems to eliminate it because the synchros don't really need to do their job, the 45 in 2nd is just an example, it seems to give off the same same while downshifting in general whether it be 5-4, 4-3, 3-2
its as if something isn't being lubricated properly and making a slight metal to metal rubbing sound

29-08-2007, 05:25 PM
hemp.. best is to bring to mechanic n diagnose wats happen to it :)

SeverAMV
30-08-2007, 01:21 AM
when was the last time you changed the gearbox oil? could be some gunky oil build-up causing the gears not to connect properly. could get the gearbox drained and flushed of current oil and replace with some shockproof stuff, like redline lightweight shockproof gear oil, or the new castrol vmx range i think it is. they're more viscous than most oils and should promote a better transfer of power to the gears and make it somewhat smoother.

vinnY
31-08-2007, 12:01 PM
when was the last time you changed the gearbox oil? could be some gunky oil build-up causing the gears not to connect properly. could get the gearbox drained and flushed of current oil and replace with some shockproof stuff, like redline lightweight shockproof gear oil, or the new castrol vmx range i think it is. they're more viscous than most oils and should promote a better transfer of power to the gears and make it somewhat smoother.

actually changed it about 50k's ago with genuine honda fluid, will look into the other fluid you're talking about though
any idea on approx price?

Barge Ass
31-08-2007, 12:04 PM
Theres a time and a place for jerking and in the car on a public road is not one of them..... most of the time.

vinnY
31-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Theres a time and a place for jerking and in the car on a public road is not one of them..... most of the time.

you sir fail at providing the funnies :thumbdwn:

actually come to think of it, its either a metal friction noise or something like a thin piece of metal vibrating at a rapid pace
such as loose heatshield on headers(it can't be the ones above the cat, removed those already)

Bayani
31-08-2007, 01:06 PM

some guy told my girlfriend that he enjoys going out and driving naked and jacking off whilst in his car.
needless to say.. she did not hang around. LOL

Barge Ass
31-08-2007, 01:36 PM
you sir fail at providing the funnies :thumbdwn:

actually come to think of it, its either a metal friction noise or something like a thin piece of metal vibrating at a rapid pace
such as loose heatshield on headers(it can't be the ones above the cat, removed those already)

Each to their own. I guess I'm just bored. Everyones entitled to an opinion.

SPEEDCORE
31-08-2007, 01:53 PM
My car does the exact same thing..even in the higher gears....

Its very violent..... the whole car goes BOOM as the shock travels through the car.

I've tried rocking the engine but there is no real movement, its pretty stiff actually, side to side and front to back. I thought maybe it was the tune... does the same with stock ECU.

You guys mentioned a CV possibly causing this.... changed the oil a couple nights ago and spotted a line of grease on the firewall in line with the boot but could not spot a tear..... got me thinking now.... hmmmmmm

Edit... mine is not really when downshifting..... its when in gear and off the throttle.... even @ say 80km in 4th.... you get it.... not as violent but still there. Though I have noticed it feels like it is doing it also on downshift sometimes :S

SeverAMV
31-08-2007, 06:06 PM
actually changed it about 50k's ago with genuine honda fluid, will look into the other fluid you're talking about though
any idea on approx price?

redline lightweight shockproof gear oil will probably set you back $120-ish for 3.75L.
castrol vmx will probably set you back less than a quarter that.

shadou
31-08-2007, 06:22 PM
my b16 civic does it as well but only happens when the engine is cold. Changing the gear box oil will not help as I've tried it already.
mine occurs in 1st and 2nd gears (cold) off throttle regardless of RPM. Doesn't really bother me though.