PDA

View Full Version : First Wakefield Run Coming Up - Target Time?

m0nty ITR
29-08-2007, 10:38 PM
I've got my first run at Wakefield coming up and I'm really unsure about what times I should be aiming for. What should I hold as a target with mods listed below.

Motor
Injen CAI
Toda Headers with straight pipe (no cat)
Fujitsubo Power Getter Catback

Suspension and Tyres
Tein Flex coilovers
Cusco front and rear strut braces
Brand new Bridgestone RE55s with Volk TE37s
Standard sway bars

Brakes
AP Racing slotted rotors and Project Mu HC Plus pads

Car will be about 30kgs down on weight from standard kerb weight with rear seat, space saver and tools removed plus the weight saving running Volk wheels. Been advised to run around 2.5 degrees camber and slight toe out on the car. Is this right for a DC5R? Damping will be trial and error (hopefully not much error). I run 16 soft on the road and will start at 10 for the first few runs. I've never used semi slicks before. Should I scrub them in the first session and then push harder later in the day or are they fast as soon as their up to temperature?

Any advice on getting the best from the car would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

mpd076-chuck
29-08-2007, 10:41 PM
First few sessions I'd be happy with 1:16-17 and then work down to 1:13's. Is it just your first time with this car or first time overall to Wakefield?

I would try for 3 degrees negative on the front and 2.5 on the rear. This won't necessarily make you faster but will keep tyre wear and contact patch even. I wouldn't worry too much about toe at the moment, if you really want to, try 2-3mm toe out Front, 3-4mm Toe in Rear. I run that and have never had uneven wear. Makes the car wander in a straightline but feel a bit more planted in the corners.

If Semi's are new then you do need to run them in. One hard session should do it.

To get the best from the car, I would simply just try and find the right lines in the first few sessions leaving the car in 3rd or 4th gear for the whole lap. For each corner, pick out braking points, turn in points, apex's, accel points and runout points. Just keep practising the same line over and over and gradually take them faster, adjusting braking point as you pick up speed.

Once you have the feel for the driving lines, adjust the sussy and tyre pressures as you see necessary, perhaps for more rotation, more bump aborpstion etc. Wakefield is quite bumpy and you need to ride the curbs in a few places to really get good times.

m0nty ITR
29-08-2007, 10:45 PM
First time at Wakefield and first time in this car. I ran my old CC GSR at Oran Park a couple of times but it was a totally different scenario back then. It was more about just speeding legally when I was younger. I'll have a coach there for the day too to give me tips on best lines.

mpd076-chuck
29-08-2007, 10:59 PM
It's excellent having a coach, I learnt so much in just one day by having a great coach. More than I could really process in a day and I realised how much I needed to improve!

e240
30-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Any advice on getting the best from the car would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Get comfortable and have fun first...then start trying.. :-)

BlitZ
10-09-2007, 08:38 PM
wow.. good to see the car getting well preped..

u missing fluides.

all u really need is fluids, pad and maybe tyres..

nothing else matter too much to have fun and to pull a decent time in a r

m0nty ITR
10-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Ended up going down without the rotors, front pads, oil cooler and fluids excluding motor oil. Best of the day was a 1:12:68 and consistantly in the 13s. Just need fluids done. The transmission would really get sticky after 2 laps and downshifting into 3rd was a real chore. Found myself going into 5th a couiple of times. Synchro issues maybe?

Anyway, I'll have a lot more confidence for next time. The ARC radiator, oil cooler, full fluids and rotors will be done. I'll also have new sway bars front and rear. Aiming for a 1:11ish.

And I learnt my first semi slick lesson. Parade lap I entered the fish hook fairly leisurely and the back end kept going. Brand new semi slicks with less than 2 laps have no grip whatsoever. I was amazed by how poor they were. Once up to temp though they were amazing. My little Teg claimed the scalps of a 996 Carrera S Targa, GTS Monaro, a WRX running full slicks, a mild ported series 2 RX7 on semi slicks with full cage and a handful of S15s.Only Honda there sadly. Would've loved to have had more there as the reception I got from others afterwards was great. They really didn't expect this Honda to make a mockery of $100k+ Porsches.

There was also an amazing 997 GT3RS there. He turned up with a support truck and 2 technicians. He had 4 sets of tyres and was only running 1:09s with full slicks. I would've loved to have had the opportunity in that car.

Anyway, first trip to WP was a good one. Can't wait to go back with more toys to try out.

e240
11-09-2007, 03:51 AM
very good run...congrats

fatboyz39
12-09-2007, 02:07 PM
awesome time for your first time out there.

Car looks well prepped.

BlitZ
12-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Ended up going down without the rotors, front pads, oil cooler and fluids excluding motor oil. Best of the day was a 1:12:68 and consistantly in the 13s. Just need fluids done. The transmission would really get sticky after 2 laps and downshifting into 3rd was a real chore. Found myself going into 5th a couiple of times. Synchro issues maybe?

Anyway, I'll have a lot more confidence for next time. The ARC radiator, oil cooler, full fluids and rotors will be done. I'll also have new sway bars front and rear. Aiming for a 1:11ish.

And I learnt my first semi slick lesson. Parade lap I entered the fish hook fairly leisurely and the back end kept going. Brand new semi slicks with less than 2 laps have no grip whatsoever. I was amazed by how poor they were. Once up to temp though they were amazing. My little Teg claimed the scalps of a 996 Carrera S Targa, GTS Monaro, a WRX running full slicks, a mild ported series 2 RX7 on semi slicks with full cage and a handful of S15s.Only Honda there sadly. Would've loved to have had more there as the reception I got from others afterwards was great. They really didn't expect this Honda to make a mockery of $100k+ Porsches.

There was also an amazing 997 GT3RS there. He turned up with a support truck and 2 technicians. He had 4 sets of tyres and was only running 1:09s with full slicks. I would've loved to have had the opportunity in that car.

Anyway, first trip to WP was a good one. Can't wait to go back with more toys to try out.

that a very good time for almost a stocker with coilovers and fI/H/E

PaZzMaN-R
12-09-2007, 11:22 PM
thats awesome times!
congrats mate. who was your coach on the day?

Muzz
12-09-2007, 11:30 PM
try 2-3mm toe out Front

Wouldnt that lead to a very unstable car in braking, especially in a fwd?
How did you find it in the braking zones? Easy to live with?:thumbsup::thumbdwn: