PDA

View Full Version : Defects and what not...

LaZaZaL89
30-08-2007, 08:20 PM
I couldnt really find a thread that covered a general question like this...

I was looking around the nsw RTA website and its a B*TCH to find a place that lists things you can defected for.

I was just wondering if there was a list like that?
because I have a few Q's about things like:
Tail light tinting,
rim size,
custom steering wheels etc...

Dy_
30-08-2007, 08:27 PM
tinting tail lights...any tinting that results in reducing the volumn of light will result in a defect.
having said that, it really depends on the coppers mood, i've seen plenty of people tint their tail lights and also have friends that have done it and not have any problems.
rim sizes i think it varies between states?
steering wheel if it comes stock with air bags you wont be able to, although it hasnt stopped people.
gl!

aimre
30-08-2007, 08:48 PM
300mm i believe is smallest steering wheel u can use i believe.

IZY-10
30-08-2007, 09:03 PM

In melbourne it is 320mm

straightR
30-08-2007, 09:09 PM
god I hate defects.

Tinted windows, oversized exahust, look to be honest any MODIFICATION done to the car is a defect if a cop is picky about it. law sucks >_<

dsp26
30-08-2007, 09:25 PM
god I hate defects.

Tinted windows, oversized exahust, look to be honest any MODIFICATION done to the car is a defect if a cop is picky about it. law sucks >_<

i hope you get raped in prison and the guards turn a blind eye

omgitsmatt
30-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Rim sizes can be 2 sizes of the biggest stock so say if a civic type r comes stock with 17"s u can go 19s what ive been told by a cop also cant have blue or rf lights

wp89
30-08-2007, 09:52 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59568

dsp26
30-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Rim sizes can be 2 sizes of the biggest stock so say if a civic type r comes stock with 17"s u can go 19s what ive been told by a cop also cant have blue or rf lights

you should do some research.. theres no truth in what you or the cop said about the rim size. Blue/Red lights & strobes are reserved for emergency vehicles and is why their defectable

straightR
30-08-2007, 10:00 PM
i hope you get raped in prison and the guards turn a blind eye

why??????

got issues?

Chuckz
30-08-2007, 10:02 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59568

:thumbsup:

which u can refer to the first post ben posted

hi all. With car ownership comes the need to modify and what not...make it original...your own :)

But there are rules. STRICT rules....lets keep a nice little guide up , for people to come back to and see the latest rules etc.

For starters ,

Here is the latest car modification guideline for RTA .

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi06.pdf

Relevant to NSW.

Also , relevant in NSW for engine conversions ~

A car can replace its engine with the same layout (IE 4cyl for 4cyl)
to a engine same age or NEWER , and also within +15% capacity increase.
You need to take your car to a AUVIS , to change the engine number over.
You will then take the documentation to the RTA and change engine number over:)

Bayani
31-08-2007, 12:21 AM
refer to link earlier.

Tail light tinting: Reduction in light = defect
rim size = refer to link for clarification
custom steering wheels = consult an Engineering Signatory, a list is provided on the RTA website.

Search is your friend.

code-87
31-08-2007, 10:25 AM
you should do some research.. theres no truth in what you or the cop said about the rim size. Blue/Red lights & strobes are reserved for emergency vehicles and is why their defectable

i was told the same thing about rims as a guideline
i believe ur only allowed to go 15mm bigger in rim n tyre than stock so u could probably go 3 sizes bigger legally but u may have to get really low profile tyres as not to go over the 15mm extra allowed
u cannot change the width of the front wheels as it [uts strain on the driving components or sum stuff.i was told by an enigineer
u can modify the backs width not sure on measurments, form memory 2 bigger

92db for exhaust

with neons they can't be used while driving
interior can be any colour including blue or red
at the back or under the car u can have white, red or amber and at the front i believe it was white or amber as to blend in with the cars lights, ie blinkers tailights etc etc
i was told this by a highway patrol cop who knew what he was tlaking about
the neons can only be used when the car is stationary

exposed pod filter

any tacho or stuff hanging off the bonnet that can pose a danger to anyone that may end up on the bonntet

u cant legally have darker than 15% tint on the windows
can't tint the front window

i forgot lowering so anyone know the measurements??something to keep in mind is that they go for the lowest point of the car so a hanging cannon etc may get u in trouble

anything on the A pillar or dash mounted tachos are illegal

thats about all i can think of at the moment that may affect u in modifying...hope it helped

Phuong1987
31-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Hmmm
Im pretty sure that you are only allowed 2inch bigger from stock. Bigger than 2inch can change you speedo. You will actually drive faster then you should.
For example your speedo says your driving 80km\h, your actually driving
83 - 85km\h.

Don't for get about pod air filters, you get rapped about $70. Has long that you cover the pod with something, you wont get defected. If they can't see the pod, they cant defect you

wp89
31-08-2007, 04:50 PM
:thumbsup:

which u can refer to the first post ben posted

a thumbsup but no rep points =/
lOl

Hmmm
Im pretty sure that you are only allowed 2inch bigger from stock. Bigger than 2inch can change you speedo. You will actually drive faster then you should.
83 - 85km\h.

Guidelines for alternative wheels and tyres
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...vsi09_rev4.pdf

LaZaZaL89
31-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Sweet guys, with the engine changing though... Does that mean in Sydney I cant go from the LS's 1.8 litre to a B16a? Wait just checked... From what I gathered I can have up to a 3litre in my car if its N/A... If I get a turbo it can only be 2.5litre. This right?

wp89
31-08-2007, 05:00 PM
Sweet guys, with the engine changing though... Does that mean in Sydney I cant go from the LS's 1.8 litre to a B16a? Wait just checked... From what I gathered I can have up to a 3litre in my car if its N/A... If I get a turbo it can only be 2.5litre. This right?

+15&#37; capacity increase for NA is :thumbsup:

lilwilliam
31-08-2007, 05:06 PM
+15&#37; capacity increase for NA is :thumbsup:

correct, i have done something simiar i did a b16a into my integra ls too, i called up the rta to ask them questions reguarding this topic they said since im going to a 1.6 from a 1.8 i do not need to engineer it, although i need to go through blueslips to register that i have changed the engine

dont forget that if you have a SRS airbag steering wheel and u replace it with one that doesnt have one its a defect.

basically u can get defected for anything, you mod your car you run the risk of getting defected by a cop if its not engineered.

code-87
31-08-2007, 08:24 PM
replacing a steering wheel with an airbag with one that doesn't have one can be up to a $10,000 fine

90LAN
31-08-2007, 08:36 PM
pretty much anything that is not oem
but if your mods look dangerous, effect the overall drivability of the car, affect your pollution controls systems, excessive noise, distraction to other drivers, etc...
u will be booked......

but modding your car to a high and safe quality u will have a less chance of getting booked

LaZaZaL89
31-08-2007, 09:47 PM
If I get a b16a is it going to be possible to ever turbo it legally then? Or a b18c turbo?

Bayani
01-09-2007, 12:44 AM
Hmmm
83 - 85km\h.

Don't for get about pod air filters, you get rapped about $70. Has long that you cover the pod with something, you wont get defected. If they can't see the pod, they cant defect you

It;s NOT two inches larger than stock. Look at the link posted earlier in the thread.

Bayani
01-09-2007, 12:50 AM
i was told the same thing about rims as a guideline
i believe ur only allowed to go 15mm bigger in rim n tyre than stock so u could probably go 3 sizes bigger legally but u may have to get really low profile tyres as not to go over the 15mm extra allowed

True, but they dont make the tyres we'd need to get 3inches larger, let alot 2 inches much of the time. LOL

u cannot change the width of the front wheels as it [uts strain on the driving components or sum stuff.i was told by an enigineer
u can modify the backs width not sure on measurments, form memory 2 bigger

92db for exhaust

with neons they can't be used while driving
interior can be any colour including blue or red
at the back or under the car u can have white, red or amber and at the front i believe it was white or amber as to blend in with the cars lights, ie blinkers tailights etc etc
i was told this by a highway patrol cop who knew what he was tlaking about
the neons can only be used when the car is stationary

You can red/blue interior neons; but they cannot be sound-controlled (whereby they flash).

You are allowed additional lighting; but they must be used in unison with the colour code for that action. ie: no static amber lights (unless you are modifying a truck, lol)

exposed pod filter

any tacho or stuff hanging off the bonnet that can pose a danger to anyone that may end up on the bonntet

u cant legally have darker than 15% tint on the windows
can't tint the front window
Cars from 1994 onwards cannot have more than 35% VLT.
You may tint the top 15% of your front windscreen; but it may not interfere with your wiper blades.

i forgot lowering so anyone know the measurements??something to keep in mind is that they go for the lowest point of the car so a hanging cannon etc may get u in trouble

100mm from the lower point of your vehicle (includes bodykits & exhaust pipes)

Bayani
01-09-2007, 12:51 AM
If I get a b16a is it going to be possible to ever turbo it legally then? Or a b18c turbo?

Yes, but there are regulations and paperwork that will need to be completed.

Talk to a engineering signatory about what you want to do.