PDA

View Full Version : CF bonnets..

straightR
30-08-2007, 10:13 PM
What brand are the CF bonnets you guys are putting on your EG's/EK's?

Bayani
30-08-2007, 11:06 PM
I'd strongly advise getting one that is ADR approved.

straightR
31-08-2007, 01:15 AM
yeah that was exactly why I was asking what one's members use...lol, know of any pre-approved brands?

Bayani
31-08-2007, 03:08 AM
Nope; best talking to some performance body-shops (mostly western suburbs)

Tofu
31-08-2007, 08:51 AM
are any CF parts "approvable" if it was not on the car as standard (eg Zonda, BMW M3 CSL)...

can a mod plate allow you to use cf parts on the streets legally?

Research
31-08-2007, 03:28 PM
i got Vis Racing for my EH.. i have no idea if it's ADR approved or not. lucky for me, till now, the cops r not give a crap bout it

bennjamin
31-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Just to help you out - i currently run a fibreglass/carbon fibre composite CF hood. Its a no=name one from malaysia or somewhere.

I'd strongly advise getting one that is ADR approved.

When it comes to aftermarket body panels or reinforcement etc there is no such thing as " ADR approved" .Replacing or adding different panel types changes the way a car acts in an accident situation , often making it weaker then OEM.
Plain and simple , if you choose to use a CF hood or fibreglass panels on the street , you are breaking the law and run the risk of injury in an accident.
Take a risk or just dont put it on !

ayden_d
31-08-2007, 04:07 PM
yeah pretty sure if it doesnt come standard there completely illegal and cant get them engineered because on impact they shatter into sharp pieces same if fiberglass so there illegal too

Bayani
01-09-2007, 01:06 AM
I called the RTA about this already. They can be RTA Approved. Check the Guidelines Thread for NSW. :]

AsH_
01-09-2007, 01:24 AM
im at noob at this...

what about kelvar ??? is it much different to CF... ???

Bayani
01-09-2007, 04:11 AM
It is SIMILAR, yes.

They are both woven materials but Kevlar is far stronger than CF. That type of strength isn't required for bodywork.

bennjamin
01-09-2007, 07:23 AM
I called the RTA about this already. They can be RTA Approved. Check the Guidelines Thread for NSW. :]

Problem is with this - is that IVe heard different from the RTA and a couple of local engineers. For everyones sake Can you be alittle more descriptive of whats involved getting a non OEM carbon fibre hood (real carbon fibre not fibreglass/CF combo) made ADR legal ?

(i cbf'd reading the other thread right no i gotta go lol)

ayden_d
01-09-2007, 01:20 PM
yeah i'd like a little more info on this because everywhere i've seen said they're illegal because of the way they shatter so i'd make sure before any purchases considering the prices of them

Bayani
02-09-2007, 01:12 AM
Link to original post I refer to is: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1041970&postcount=11

Carbon Fibre Bonnets / Trunks / Panels

Are they legal? This answer is not as simple as Yes and No.

These are the conditions:

A Carbon Fibre Panel (being a Hood, Trunk or Fender) may be only fitted if it is ADR Approved, OR it if there is an Engineering Signatory that has signed off on said panel attached to your vehicle as being within the rules of the relevant safety guides.

The issues lay with the following:
Hinges : The area connecting to the Hinges to the Bonnet / Trunk must be sturdy & safe.
Latches : The latch / catch system used to prevent the bonnet / trunk opening. (Well know systems include the Bonnet Pin System)

To ensure your Carbon Fibre Panel is complaint, look for ADR approved Caborn Fibre Hoods. Do NOT buy cheap imitations. Whilst they are tempting as cheap alternatives to the real-deal, they are a CONSIDERABLE risk to both your safety, and the safety of others.

This was RTA Confirmed.
There is no legislation proclaiming that CF panels are illegal, but they MUST conform to particular standards.

------------------------------------
If I remember I will call the RTA again on Monday to clarify, but I am under the impression it is the responsibility of the manufacturer or distributor (as would be the case for some of the CF hoods) to have the ADR approved.

If you have purchased a hood that you are not sure is ADR approved or not; you may take the panel - attached to your vehicle - to an engineering signatory who MAY - if applicable - complete a certificate stating that the panel complies with the appropriate design standards. (As descibed in linked post).

straightR
04-09-2007, 11:00 PM
I see, from what ive seen around.. it's pretty hard finding a pre-ADR approved CF bonnet..

NeRV
04-09-2007, 11:04 PM
If you do have a cf bonnet and you get pulled over expect a nice $250 hole in your wallet/$75 and 1 point from your license.. as i have experienced here in QLD.

EG5[KRT]
05-09-2007, 05:48 PM
fark johnny.. that sux >.<

straightR
06-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Yup I understand that, but if you get it engineerd?

Bayani
06-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Engineering simply means that the panel conforms to the regulations required by law.

Certificates don't by-pass the law.

straightR
06-09-2007, 10:08 PM
So the only way is with the approved bonnets...?

Bayani
06-09-2007, 11:30 PM
OR if not per-approved have it checked by an Engineering Signatory and IF he is satisfied that it meets the regulations setforth by the governing body, then he will issue a Certificate Declaring it so.

straightR
08-09-2007, 03:37 PM
f**** effort lol.

TypeRice
08-09-2007, 08:09 PM
get a CF spoiler/wing

u will never get defected for that
hawhawhaw