PDA

View Full Version : Do voltage stabilisers actually do anything worthwhile?

JaCe
30-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Just wondering.. they sell them alot in Asia and alot of people put it in the car. Adds a nice little display in the cabin and looks "pro" but for some reason I can't figure out if it actually will do any of the so called benefits.

honda_ek4
30-08-2007, 10:24 PM
don't think so man, i had one in my previous car and didn't notice anything..
but anyways refer here for a better opinion:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61625&highlight=voltage+stabilizer

JaCe
30-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks bro.

Haha I heard one guy in a shop in Singapore tell me that it increases engine performance... how random.

I am reading a catalogue from Singapore in front of me for Pivot (and various other) voltage stabiliser products and capactiors; I'll scan for you guys if you're interested to see what they sell. There aren't prices though.

Volt Stabilizer
-Improve audio quality
-Increase torque, response and power
-Stabilized idling and improved engine kick over
-Increase headlight brightness
-Improved fuel economy
-Improved battery life

The only one which I can really imagine being possible would be the audio quality improvement if your system was hitting the limits because of the power? *shrugs*

Shimian
30-08-2007, 11:06 PM
I have installed all 3 pivot products (raizin, spark and ignition earth).
I have posted this on another thread

My observations are as follows:
1. When i start my car, it seems to start a little quicker, but very minimal.
2. When i took off down the street, the rev goes up much much higher. I could get to 6,000revs with ease on an auto without flooring.
3. Havent really driven it for much, but the car is very quiet. I had the KN panel filter installed and that made the car a little bit quieter, but with the spark and ignition, it made it a little bit extra.
4. Car seems to drive a little smoother as you hit the speed limit.

I only have stock ICE so i cant say much for that part. In terms of light being brighter, it looks the same to me. Fuel economy is about the same. But then again, there may be a slight improvement cos 50% of the time im heavy footed. Car is dead quiet at idle. Paddle shift doesnt jerk as hard anymore when you downshift.

For me, its not a bad mod for a few hundred dollars.

JaCe
30-08-2007, 11:17 PM
I can't believe it actually works. But then I guess so many ppl do it. Maybe I should buy when I go back SG end of yr.. hmm!

honda_ek4
30-08-2007, 11:18 PM
i had a raizin one in my car, absolute waste imo..
i sold mine for dirt cheap.

maybe you can get someone to lend you theirs for a day to try in your car, and if you feel as if its not worth it then don't get one.

last thing you want is to get something and regret it straight after you've tried it..

shadou
30-08-2007, 11:38 PM
another thing with those super earth/voltage stabilizer kits is it makes it ****ing annoying to work in the engine bay with an extra 4-6 wires running all over the dam place!!! **** those things pissed me off everytime I saw one.

IZY-10
30-08-2007, 11:41 PM
only useful on older generation cars. Basically just creates better grounds. The reason why they suit older cars is because the wires are most likely decaying therefore loosing there full potential. Installing the kit will rectify the issue and take it back to original factory standard again

Encor3
31-08-2007, 11:05 AM
I have the grounding kit from hks. (big round thing) for me its worked good. But i started off with grounding issues, Car starts alot easier (almost instantly) and audio is a little bit clearer. Throttle is definately more responsive.

I dont see the benefits of this on a newer car though. As the grounding would already be really good.
EDIT: I dont have a voltage stabiliser. I have a grounding kit.

turbo convert
31-08-2007, 02:55 PM
[QUOTE=honda_ek4;1323011]i had a raizin one in my car, absolute waste imo..
QUOTE]

100% agree i had a genuine Raizon pivot volage stabilizer in my r32 and was the biggest waste of $$$ made no diffrence, it looked good though.
But i would not waste my time again.

bennjamin
31-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Real answer ?

New car = NO (fashion piece)

Old car = YES ( replaces old worn grounds and improves return current flow from alt. , dizzy head etc.

But is it worth paying for it ?

IMO NO

aimre
31-08-2007, 03:34 PM
hahaha, some of u ppl are funny

Tap.Ris
31-08-2007, 04:29 PM
i reckon it works on old car but not on the new ones though - grounding.
as for the voltage stab, it's a good to have for those ICE enthusiasts, but not a MUST. Other than that, it does work on automatic cars as the gear change become much smoother and well like someone said, u dun even realize that the car is started cuz it's so quiet. for that kinda price, dun expect to get a gain in any horsey.

thaaznboi
01-09-2007, 12:31 AM
so what would you guys consider as old?? and new from what year onwards??

IZY-10
01-09-2007, 12:37 AM
12 years around there