PDA

View Full Version : Engine push start button

Muzz
31-08-2007, 03:10 AM
Hey guys, im interested in mounting an engine push start button in my car, however im concerned with security.

This is what im looking at - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110164353168&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:au

With it installed, you turn your keys on, and then push to start up.

I want to know:
1. Will this make my car easier to steal without the keys?
2. Is my immobiliser still effective?
3. if you pressed the starter, without the keys, would the starter motor try start the engine?
4.Will it make it easy to hotwire my car in any way?

What are your thoughts, im clueless when it comes to electronics:o

Tofu
31-08-2007, 09:03 AM
the engine start button does nothing when the key is not in the ignition and turned to the 2nd stage...

with my engine start button, i need to turn my key to the 2nd stage, then push the button and the engine starts. When i occasionally stall the car, i simply push the button and off i go, no need to turn the key back then start the car again.

Honda dealers and service people say everything in my car all works fine, so i'll take their word for it since they are still willing to honour my warranty.

Muzz
31-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Sweet, good to know man!

EL_DC5
31-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Where did you get it and who installed it in interested!:p

the engine start button does nothing when the key is not in the ignition and turned to the 2nd stage...

with my engine start button, i need to turn my key to the 2nd stage, then push the button and the engine starts. When i occasionally stall the car, i simply push the button and off i go, no need to turn the key back then start the car again.

Honda dealers and service people say everything in my car all works fine, so i'll take their word for it since they are still willing to honour my warranty.

dynasty
31-08-2007, 01:12 PM
hey, i installed a s2000 button on my civic myself, pretty easy to do, and to answer ur questions
1. U cant crank ur engine unless ur key is in 2nd stage, otherwise u wired the wrong wire, if u can still crank engine without key, u didnt wire it to ignition
2.yes ur immoboliser is still effective, using a normal key wont get the engine started, it'll crank, but wont start
3. again, if the motor cranks, u wired it wrong
4. no, if you do everything correctly, with immoboliser, its still pretty impossible to hotwire, makes it EASIER, but if they're pros, u cant stop them anyways.
Hope it helps :)

Muzz
31-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the replys man, ive decided at the same time ill also be adding a key switch like so - http://www.jaycar.com/productView.asp?ID=SM1032&CATID=28&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=551 for my fuel pump in a very inconspicous spot, so i can switch it off when im leaving my car in less than ideal areas.

Make it that slight bit harder to steal.

spoondc2
31-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Let me know if you are going to order one, since i am interested also

Muzz
01-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Let me know if you are going to order one, since i am interested also

Damn, i ordered it yesterday. I woulda been keen as to cut shipping down, ill email the seller and see if its been sent off yet:thumbsup:

spoondc2
01-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Damn, i ordered it yesterday. I woulda been keen as to cut shipping down, ill email the seller and see if its been sent off yet:thumbsup:
Thanks man

Muzz
04-09-2007, 10:01 PM
No luck sorry, its on its way.
I just noticed on the page, if you buy 2, you get a third for free.
Coulda sold the 3rd one off to pay for our postage:(

sugz
05-09-2007, 10:20 PM
damn i want the third free one :(

Muzz
05-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Looks like all 3 of us missed out on the bargains:(