PDA

View Full Version : buying a vti-r teggy

Limited
31-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Hey guys and gals,

I am currently in the market for a Vti-R integra, i have seen a couple and like its performance and looks. I have sold my 89 LS integra and want to upgrade to a Vti-R ;) I am going to look at one tomorrow, its a 94 Vti-R integra, its done 190,000kms, its had 2 previous owners i think.. so i will either be the 3rd or 4th owner, apprently its been serviced regularly but the guy has not kept all the records... and no accident history. Some things wrong with the car: ariel does not extend, some clear coat is peeling off near the sunroof. The guy wants $8,500 for it. Abit worried about the high kms, has any other Vti-R owner experienced problems with their car with this high kms? Anything to look out for? Many thanks for any help i recieve! ~Michael

Ps: sorry if this has been answered before, (i did do a search and didnt find anythin relavent) maybe i didnt look hard enough :o sorry in advance if this is the case!

Shraka
31-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Something to look for: stuck thermostat. If the car doesn't heat up normally within about 10 minutes, you'll need to get that fixed. Lots of Integras have this problem. My 75,000 km Integra had that problem.

Other than that it's just general stuff. Check for rust in the tailgate and wheel well.

Angie
31-08-2007, 06:23 PM
I bought a vtir last year in november, I looked at 3 before buying and they were all very different, in the end I found a 96 up the central coast.

Just make sure it is NOT the first one you have looked at, but they are hard to find as there were not many around when I was looking.

Zilli
31-08-2007, 06:36 PM
with our motors regular maintenace including oil chages are what determines how long they last... if its been looked after properly with the correct oils thn it should last a while longer yet, but if the guy hasnt kept records then how are you to know?

JDM_VTIR
31-08-2007, 07:04 PM
check the engine for any leaks. check cv joints/shocks as they may show signs of age. could cost a fair bit to replace later on. without a service book history it's hard to determine what state the car's in. just saying that the car has no accident history doesn't make it so, without documentation to back it up. take it for a test drive and see how she runs.

imo have a look around for some other alternatives that have evidence of service history before closing the deal. sure it looks like a bargain but are you sure you're getting your moneys worth? there's no rush in getting the 'right' car. take your time. do your research. cheers.

JamB
31-08-2007, 07:07 PM
check for CV BOOTS, and Clutch wear

Limited
31-08-2007, 07:38 PM
hey everyone, i appreaciate all the advise. I have taken a couple vti-r's for a test drive, so hopefully this one is good *fingers crossed*
some extra info about the car:

Tyres - Toyo High Performance (8 months ago)
CV Joints - Both completely replaced (8 months ago)
Battery ( 6 months ago)
Suspension (8 months ago)
Idle Air Control Valve (4 months ago)
Exhaust - 2.5 through

Will take it to my mechanic to get a inspection before i buy it, hopefully its not a lemon... been after a vti-r for awhile but theres not many on the market in adelaide for the price i wanna spend!

Also, can someone tell me why the idle air control valve was replaced? or possible reasons. Is it a good thing that it was replaced or could it be due to problems etc.

Spunkymonkey
31-08-2007, 08:55 PM
ok..some common integra things to look out for:

thermostat as already mentioned
the antenna is a common thing - just replace it with a s2k one
radiator top tank
water pump
sunroof stutter (usually means too much driving with the sunroof open...greasing will usually fix)
power windows shuddering...can be fixed...there is a thread on it somewhere....
check for leaks in exhaust
check for oil leaksI haven't had any problems with the cv joints and mine is on 225K

that's all I can think of atm...but their the main things anyway.

Goodluck with the purchase

Angie
31-08-2007, 09:41 PM
I know with the one I bought that I took it to honda the next week to have a major service done, they had on thier system excatly when that integra had had honda look at it for a service etc, which was good because it had been looked at throughout its life.

So that might be an idea to get done, they should give it to you over the counter?? I have had no mechanical issues but the antenna was ****ed so has a s2k one now, overall happy with it.

Shraka
31-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Yeah mine has a full Honda service history. I'm only the second owner too. :D I love my DC2. Pulls a little better than most other DC2 VTiRs, and quite a bit smoother aswell.

connections
01-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Also, can someone tell me why the idle air control valve was replaced? or possible reasons. Is it a good thing that it was replaced or could it be due to problems etc.

this is not a problem at all they get clogged up with junk from general use, its a problem that can happen to any car.

Limited
02-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Hey everyone, i went and had a look at the integra today, as a few of you said the thermostat is a common problem and this was the case to this car too. My friend checked the car out (knows his cars well, close enough to a mechanic!) did a full check, took him like an hour and a half, overall its in good nick... has a small oil leek (need to change a washer or somethin small), major service due soon, and thrust bearing will need changing soon (maybe in 6 months). Body is straight, no rust and drives nicely. I've put a deposit on her and will be picking her up tomorrow! Cant wait! Picked her up for a bargain too! Im so happy, thanks to everyone who gave me advice :)
Will post pics up soon! :thumbsup:

tezza88
03-09-2007, 01:46 AM
congrats on the car dude, u'd love it, wen i bought my one, it didnt have any major problems and its done 310xxxkms on it

Moya
03-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Damn, Our vti-rs tegs are getting soo cheap.

I've spent more in mods on my DC2 than you just paid for yours.

Spunkymonkey
03-09-2007, 10:07 PM
there's not much choice though...for sale atm...very limited number for sale compared to civics, type rs

Limited
04-09-2007, 12:53 AM
hey eveyone! picked up my beast today! loving it :) am gonna book her in for service and get the thermostat changed. Can someone please recommend a good mechanic in Adelaide?? - which have competitve pricing coz im poor (i'm a Uni student, what do u expect)
Just took some pics of her, its dark and using my camera phone, but u get the idea :)
Very clean, washed her today... body is straight as, but some bastard has stolen the badges. Will probably ebay some red or blue ones.

Shraka
04-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Just FYI, the badges with the red backing is a Type R badge. Just so you know, putting it on a VTiR has a bit of poser value attached to it.

JDM_VTIR
04-09-2007, 10:17 AM
congrats dude. lose the chromies though =D but if that's what you like!

Shraka
04-09-2007, 10:19 AM
congrats dude. lose the chromies though =D but if that's what you like!

Agreed. Those rims need to be either re-chromed or turfed for something else. They look quite plasticy.

Limited
04-09-2007, 11:06 AM
yeah, not a huge fan of the chromies, but he didnt have the stock wheels so i had no choice. Gotta wait till i get more cash to buy new rims lol (might be awhile tho so it'll have to do for now!) , but i wanna work on the engine before i do cosmetics. Any one know whats involved in the 200,000km major service- im at 189kkms atm so i wanna get it done soon, can someone scan their logbooks and send it to me- i dont have log books :( as well as an estimate of how much it'll cost, im guessin around the 1,000 mark! argh so much money! but i did get the car for under $7k (bargainin skillz!hehe) :eek::D:eek: Can someone reccommend a good mechanic that knows their hondas in Adelaide?
Thanks for all the comments... love to hear peoples opionions good or bad, will give me more ideas for the car :thumbsup:

Shraka
04-09-2007, 11:15 AM
My last service was a big one (120,000km), cost me just over $1000 at Honda. Had my rear brakes machined, new pads put in at the back too.

DCB18
05-09-2007, 10:46 PM
im pretty sure the integras have their major service at 160,000kms.
thats when mine was done.

nice car man, same colour as mine :thumbsup:
ditto about the wheels.
enjoy

yeah, not a huge fan of the chromies, but he didnt have the stock wheels so i had no choice. Gotta wait till i get more cash to buy new rims lol (might be awhile tho so it'll have to do for now!) , but i wanna work on the engine before i do cosmetics. Any one know whats involved in the 200,000km major service- im at 189kkms atm so i wanna get it done soon, can someone scan their logbooks and send it to me- i dont have log books :( as well as an estimate of how much it'll cost, im guessin around the 1,000 mark! argh so much money! but i did get the car for under $7k (bargainin skillz!hehe) :eek::D:eek: Can someone reccommend a good mechanic that knows their hondas in Adelaide?
Thanks for all the comments... love to hear peoples opionions good or bad, will give me more ideas for the car :thumbsup:

T-onedc2
06-09-2007, 08:55 PM
hey eveyone! picked up my beast today! loving it :) am gonna book her in for service and get the thermostat changed. Can someone please recommend a good mechanic in Adelaide?? - which have competitve pricing coz im poor (i'm a Uni student, what do u expect)
Just took some pics of her, its dark and using my camera phone, but u get the idea :)
Very clean, washed her today... body is straight as, but some bastard has stolen the badges. Will probably ebay some red or blue ones.
Looking nice there mate congrats on the purchase!
I service mine at Formula Honda, just had 100,000 service and cost about $600 with only camshaft seals needed extra. PM EdgeAuto (Grant) he serviced my car at Formula Honda. You can save perhaps a couple hundred on a backyarder but could cost you more than that later.
I've heard Moto Rossi (or whatever it's called) in the city is good too.

ps. did that car used to get around with a twin cannon exhaust? Looks familiar

Limited
07-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Looking nice there mate congrats on the purchase!
I service mine at Formula Honda, just had 100,000 service and cost about $600 with only camshaft seals needed extra. PM EdgeAuto (Grant) he serviced my car at Formula Honda. You can save perhaps a couple hundred on a backyarder but could cost you more than that later.
I've heard Moto Rossi (or whatever it's called) in the city is good too.

ps. did that car used to get around with a twin cannon exhaust? Looks familiar

Hey thanks mate. Will get some quotes from them.
Yeah, i'm pretty sure that at one stage it did have twin cannon exhausts but was taken off, was also lowered too. Did you know the owner?

string
07-09-2007, 01:45 PM
this is not a problem at all they get clogged up with junk from general use, its a problem that can happen to any car.

Getting clogged with gunk is no reason to replace. 5 minutes with a can of Brakleen and it'll be as good as new.

IZY-10
07-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Getting clogged with gunk is no reason to replace. 5 minutes with a can of Brakleen and it'll be as good as new.

that does not always work. That is why they replaced it.

connections
07-09-2007, 03:35 PM

umm no it clogged up with gunk and a internal part in it moved out of place because it was too clogged up with junk tired to clean it out to no avail because the gunk was so hard to get out and the internal part has moved so had to get the piece new only cost like $120 but.

this car is heaps cheap for under 7k but hella good price

string
07-09-2007, 03:39 PM
that does not always work. That is why they replaced it.
Yes I realise this. I was simply stating that cleaning should be attempted before binning, incase anyone reading this thread in the future takes theirs off and replaces it needlessly.

Though, it might be worth the $120 for a new one anyway. Having a good idle is one of those things you really take for granted until it messes up.

T-onedc2
07-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Hey thanks mate. Will get some quotes from them.
Yeah, i'm pretty sure that at one stage it did have twin cannon exhausts but was taken off, was also lowered too. Did you know the owner?
nah didn't know the owner, just saw it in the Parafield/Salisbury area from time to time.

Limited
08-09-2007, 12:30 AM
Can someone do me a favour please? :angel:
I want to get my major service done soon for my 94 VTiR Integra, can someone please scan the 200,000km service page out of their logbooks and send it to me?
Many, many thanks in advance

T-onedc2
08-09-2007, 01:34 AM
Here's a pic of it, scanner is too noisy at this hour lol

2o2y
15-09-2007, 03:55 PM
wow u got a grey '94 integra vti-r in adelaide for under $7000?! dude, you're basically stealing it. nice work :thumbsup: