PDA

View Full Version : To B16a or to B18c

LaZaZaL89
31-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Im a n00b to v-tec just got my honda a month or two back now... And I dont know whether I should save for a B16a or a B18c, for my DA9 89/90 integra... Eventually im thinking I might want to turbocharge it too, but I dno... I know before I do that I would have to work on the engine a fair bit. To be honest im not sure where to start or which engine to get... Is there going to be a big price difference between the two? Which one would you guys recommend if they are both legal in NSW. Thats considering im also going to have to probs get a front cut, cuz I wanna convert my car to manual...

Ive also heard that if I wanna race my car on the track every now and then for fun, I shouldnt even bother with a turbo and just leave it n/a... is that right?

Help a lost noob... Again.

Cheers.

tseesinngwailo
31-08-2007, 10:37 PM
if you buy a half-cut from a DA6, its complete with manual gearbox, shift linkages, pedals, computer, and climate control on the dash. everything you would need to do the conversion, and its a straight fit, problem solved, it will give you a car thats fast enough, and wont break the bank, I did it and it's the best thing I have done, at some point I will go for a DC2, but for now, a B16a in a DA is lots of fun, oh, and gives good fuel economy too

LaZaZaL89
31-08-2007, 10:47 PM
how much did you spend all up buying the half cut and getting it put in, unless you did it yourself?

Chuckz
31-08-2007, 10:51 PM
check out this thread, similar question, b16a or b18c

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69377&highlight=B18c+b16a

try do a little seach :)

tseesinngwailo
31-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Well, my half was only $1600, and I did most of the work myself, wasnt that hard, but if I had my time again, I would take more photos and hand draw the wiring diagrams for the fusebox under the dash, I replaced the entire front loom and under the dash with the JDM one, but there was still a few wires not right, i dont have rear wiper and interior light at the moment, but now i have a proper fog light switch and digital climate control air con. if you were pushed for time you could maybe do it in 3 days, mine took about a month cause i was not working on it each day. best part is it now revs to 8250rpm and sounds awesome! its down a bit of torque from the B18a, but as i said before, its a great way to go cost wise, and doesnt hit you in insurance like a turbo would. I think the better way is if you can get a B16B, it has more power, and there was an LSD equipped box too, spose it depends on your budget.. There are so many other areas you can improve the car on, a full on motors never the complete answer, good luck with it all.

LaZaZaL89
01-09-2007, 07:36 AM
Thanks heaps for the help! If I can find a front cut for 1600 im almost certain ill go for the b16a, where abouts did you get yours from? That would give me a bit more money to spend on sussy n brakes.

Samm928
08-09-2007, 10:35 AM
hey buddy, from what fatboys said to me before the b16a will definately fit into a da9, and the da6 are very rare to find. theres one in the car sale section atm going for 3.5k but being hit at the front.

the car does not take the b18c i'm pretty sure and also for the b18c you'll be looking at spending at least 7-9 grand altogether including the installation.
b16a you can get from fatboyz39 for 2.5k installed =) i think his also located in NSW aswell ! have fun buddy =).

also with your car it looks very simular to mine. im not after a engine conversion any time soon although im doing some small mods to it at the moment. im lowering it 1.5" and painting it gun metal grey. taking off the spoiler and also fitting H4H bulbs for $80-100. i've got altech 16" low profile alloy racing rims and also im going to fit a x force twin loop for $180 or so.
within about a year or so if i still do like the da9 i will be engine converting it to a b20 with a b16a block giving me a bigger hit of vtec and competing with the bigger boys =)

for now you should focus on the brakes,suspension,exhaust,wheels and after focus on engine mods. before you do any engine mods i suggest to you, that you upgrade your brakes. safety comes first my friend. :D

rawr
08-09-2007, 11:10 AM
pm lilwilliam he has a da9 with a jdm b16a in it

to be honest alot of people are let down by the torque and over all power of the b16a so alot go to b18c or getting a b20 bottom. The b18c isnt that much more costly unless i think its from a type R but i'm not sure about it fitting or what you have to do to make it fit.

As said above you'll always have to consider upgrading your brakes, suspension, exhaust and wheels and then don't forget all the legal stuff too.

|N|
08-09-2007, 01:05 PM
here: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74034

got everything u need...

pm me if interested

nvdvtc
08-09-2007, 04:13 PM
well i use 2 hav a b16a in a em1 and i did head work to it its alrite but the cross over is loud but then i changed my motor to a b18c7 type R all internals its a big difference man big differnce i say b18c....

IZY-10
09-09-2007, 12:06 AM
b18c will fit just the gearbox mount wont fit correctly. In which you could just mate it up to a cable b16a gearbox job done:thumbsup:

ACTI0NMAN-1
09-09-2007, 12:16 AM
you can always use your stock b18a manual gearbox (cable) with a b18c swap.
With a b18c gearbox (hydro) you will need a conversion kit.