PDA

View Full Version : bitta smoke n smell LS 89

LaZaZaL89
02-09-2007, 09:56 AM
I have a second gen teggy and it blows a bitta smoke and smells fair bad... On top of that the exhaust rattles a bit after being idle for a while... Does this mean my catalytic converter is bust? If so, how much would I be looking at the replace it?..

Spunkymonkey
02-09-2007, 12:05 PM
smoke (if white) could mean, not enough oil or rings are worn/going

cat...depending on whether you get a high flow probably $200 ish

OMG.JAI xD
02-09-2007, 12:23 PM
high flows wouldnt really fail.
it doesnt burn as good as OEM. it just lets everything go through.
high flows tend to blow smoke wheter its new or old. but its white evaporating smoke. only in cold though.
if the exhaust rattles then you should get the whole thing checked out. like on a hoist n all.
by the sounds of it, it could b the cat, or your engine is getting too much fuel .
its gotta be either one.

Spunkymonkey
02-09-2007, 12:56 PM
white evaporating smoke on cold days your referring to is called steam/condensation. Don't post information that your not sure about as your just confusing members.

LaZaZaL89
02-09-2007, 01:49 PM
got it checked out today, turns out it was the cat along with a fair bit of other stuff I gotta get fixed up... The engine is apparently leaking a bitta oil too, just hope it holds off till I can afford to dump a b16 into it.

Spunkymonkey
02-09-2007, 02:18 PM
good luck with it

Setanta
02-09-2007, 02:49 PM
high flows wouldnt really fail.
it doesnt burn as good as OEM. it just lets everything go through.
high flows tend to blow smoke wheter its new or old. but its white evaporating smoke. only in cold though.
if the exhaust rattles then you should get the whole thing checked out. like on a hoist n all.
by the sounds of it, it could b the cat, or your engine is getting too much fuel .
its gotta be either one.

This is the second time you've posted information on this topic and displayed total ignorance.

Give it a rest and shut up.

To the OP: if you have oil leaking past the rings (sounds like it) it will slowly contaminate the cat so get them both done at the same time for longevity.

While it would be irresponsible to suggest gutting the cat (god I love that image) as it is illegal, it would certainly make the noise go away :)

LaZaZaL89
02-09-2007, 07:11 PM
To the OP: if you have oil leaking past the rings (sounds like it) it will slowly contaminate the cat so get them both done at the same time for longevity.

While it would be irresponsible to suggest gutting the cat (god I love that image) as it is illegal, it would certainly make the noise go away :)

alright, thats sweet... The guy at midas said I wouldnt have much change left from a grand to get it all sorted. Cuz they would have to pull it out to check where the leak is coming from and fix it and all... Is a bit less than a grand the right price or overpriced? Sounds like a lot.

Setanta
02-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Hint #1: Don't go to Midas, go to a real exhaust center. Midas are overpriced - pretty much the Kmart of exhaust places. The cat itself can range from 200 to 400 bucks depending on type. Installation shouldn't be more than 150 tops (you pay for the time spent working on the car, not the task itself).

FYI: I had headers put on my EH that cost me 230 for the hurricane headers and 130 installed including fixing a busted stud. That was on Sunnyholt rd Blacktown. I know Spunkymonkey used to go to Livo exhaust - I haven't used them myself but I haven't heard anything bad about them other than wait times. Shop around mate, that's your best bet.

Just looked through my quote papers; I got a quote for 2 1/2inch mandrel bent steel exhaust (not stainless), hi-flow cat, muffler and tips (V6 going into the EH so I need a cat) for just over 1K. I hope you weren't quoted 1K just for the cat.

Spunkymonkey
03-09-2007, 08:53 AM
yep, still go to liverpool exhaust, because its local, and they treat me well. Pete, is right, sometimes the wait time is a bit long, but they have a heap of cars queuing up to get work done. You might be able to find a smaller exhaust shop closer to where you are, then it should take less time

IZY-10
03-09-2007, 12:09 PM
man my da is exactly like yours. But mine doesn't burn oil out the exhaust but in the engine bay it bezar. I get that same smell you are talking about. My exhaust also rattles but that is because my resonator internally is shot to pieces.

Jon_51
03-09-2007, 01:40 PM
just had my resonator and muffler replaced. both were completely shot. rattled like a baby's toy.
no smoke or smell though

LaZaZaL89
03-09-2007, 05:35 PM
yeah, I reckon ill get the exhaust checked out soon and fixed up... But the engine leaking oil will just have to battle on till I get a new engine...

IZY-10
04-09-2007, 01:28 AM
yeah, I reckon ill get the exhaust checked out soon and fixed up... But the engine leaking oil will just have to battle on till I get a new engine...

try using a thicker oil for the time being it might create a build up of carbon around your rings if your lucky and reduce your oil consumption.

LaZaZaL89
04-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Sweet, thats a good idea, thanks!

Jnr_Mint
05-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Your piston rings are worn. this is a common occurance in most hondas. and the more u give it to ur car ,the more the lil bits that are flaking of the rings, are grinding against ur bore. So jus take it ezzy a little bit

The smell, is oil drippin from your gasket and drippin onto ur exhaust

The rattling is normal - it has something to do with 'springs' in the exhaust and the sounds more evident after long drives. Use a small piece of rubber and attach it jus above the exhaust tips to reduce other rattling also.

ACTI0NMAN-1
05-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Your piston rings are worn. this is a common occurance in most hondas. and the more u give it to ur car ,the more the lil bits that are flaking of the rings, are grinding against ur bore. So jus take it ezzy a little bit

The smell, is oil drippin from your gasket and drippin onto ur exhaust

The rattling is normal - it has something to do with 'springs' in the exhaust and the sounds more evident after long drives. Use a small piece of rubber and attach it jus above the exhaust tips to reduce other rattling also.

I'm amazed you could diagnose the problems so accurately with such little information.

The steps you should take to diagnose the problem:

1. Find out where the oil is leaking from.
2. Get a cylinder compression test done.
3. Have the timing/tuning checked

Also keep in mind that any replacement of new exhaust parts (b pipe, exhaust, exhaust manifold) will have a smell for the first few days. Kind of like burning metal. SS headers systems have a bloody horrendous smell.
Exhaust rattle is not normal, but depends if you want to live with the noise.

Jnr_Mint
05-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Pfft.. this guy, who r u man! - im giving my opinion on what i think it could be from previosly owning a prelude now integra and a stretch of other hondas in the family like civics. i might not be 100% but its jus my opion and to gauge the issue from family hondas.
its more appreciated than, all these members, sayin it could be the gasket, could be the alternator could be you flashin LEDs
pfft.
its jus my opinion on wat i think the issue might be, dont like - dont read it

Spunkymonkey
06-09-2007, 10:09 PM
now now...no need to get heated.... you just need to keep in mind that whilst similar faults have been the cause from your own experience, it is not always going to be the root cause of everyone else's car fault. People say "could" because you need to remember, people could read you think your 100% correct in their circumstance with their car and start splurging on all these parts/labour that might not fix their car problem.

LaZaZaL89
08-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Well a harley davidson ran a red light and decided to plow into the side of it today :S, dont know if its going to be written off or what will happen... Luckily no1 was hurt.

IZY-10
09-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Well a harley davidson ran a red light and decided to plow into the side of it today :S, dont know if its going to be written off or what will happen... Luckily no1 was hurt.

What? your car?

LaZaZaL89
09-09-2007, 11:53 AM
yeah :(, looks like its going to be a write off

Spunkymonkey
09-09-2007, 12:10 PM
sorry to hear...what a bummer

LaZaZaL89
09-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Well if it is a write off there are only two cars im considering... teggy or a lude.

Spunkymonkey
09-09-2007, 04:20 PM
teg teg teg

LaZaZaL89
09-09-2007, 08:26 PM
probably

IZY-10
09-09-2007, 11:19 PM
tegs are what real men drive lol

LaZaZaL89
10-09-2007, 07:57 AM
Well in that case ill have to get a teg

LaZaZaL89
10-09-2007, 08:09 AM
In other news, Midas were bullsh*tting all along... Took the car to a mate who works at a repair shop... He put the car up on a hoist look at everything... there is no oil leak at all apart from apparently some seal that would cost less then $100 to replace...

Midas wanted me to pay a grand for them to take the engine out etc...

gumbs
10-09-2007, 02:52 PM
If they write it off tell us how much they offer you. I had to fight NRMA when I got rear ended because they decided 89 models were worth 2k and 90 models were worth 5.

ACTI0NMAN-1
10-09-2007, 06:20 PM
If they write it off tell us how much they offer you. I had to fight NRMA when I got rear ended because they decided 89 models were worth 2k and 90 models were worth 5.

they probly didnt look at the right integra, gen 1 integras were last made in 89.

LaZaZaL89
11-09-2007, 09:01 AM

Ouch! Yeah the DA9's started production in may 89 didnt they? If so ill make sure to argue with them over it

gumbs
11-09-2007, 10:12 PM
they probly didnt look at the right integra, gen 1 integras were last made in 89.

Yeh but they had all the engine specs right (gen 1s are 1.6s right?) They just had the same price for DA9s.

FR33K
12-09-2007, 05:59 PM
NEVER go to MIDAS..
5 years ago i went to them because my brake pedal was soft and they told me i had seized calipers and my discs needed changing etc etc and quoted me $1300...
i went somewhere else and they changed my master cylinder seals for $60 and problem solved.....

ACTI0NMAN-1
12-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Yeh but they had all the engine specs right (gen 1s are 1.6s right?) They just had the same price for DA9s.
could be the km's that let him down.

LaZaZaL89
12-09-2007, 06:47 PM
I havent even hit 200,000 with this one... lets hope it helps...