PDA

View Full Version : koni yellow + oem spring

twing
03-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Has anyone ever run koni yellow + oem spring combo?
Will it make the struts wear faster?
Will it be too jiggly?
Is the softest setting feels like oem struts? Or stiffer?

Not thinking to lower my car. Sometimes traffic on other lane is already dazzling at me.

Makes me wonder how people drive lowered car at night. Use sunnies? :cool:

TEGNO1
03-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Thats what there designed for...
only 20% stiffer at soft
if you change to harder spring rate they can handle up to around 500lbs
It will ride better than standard....like a BMW

d15z1SUX
03-09-2007, 11:29 PM
so if you use a harder spring it will ride better? im changing from kings to eibach.

EG30
04-09-2007, 03:33 AM
Koni sports yellow at softest setting in general are about 50% stiffer than Koni reds at softest setting which is at least 20% stiff than OEM damping rate.

On my EG with king normal low springs I have my koni yellow on softest setting and the rear 1/4 turn from softest.

hats off to you for not seeing a need to change your springs as you want to retain the existing ride height and sounds like you are not chasing the extra handling for aggressive driving. The best thing about the koni is that you can dial in more damping if you find it too floaty or less if you find it too aggressive.

don't forget often the OEM springs have sagged a good 10-20mm over the years so a set of Kings or Whiteline standard low springs might not lower your car the 15-20mm as you were expecting.

TEGNO1
04-09-2007, 09:24 AM
A harder spring with a good shock would ride better than a standard spring with a bad shock.....depending on how hard.

twing
04-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Koni sports yellow at softest setting in general are about 50% stiffer than Koni reds at softest setting which is at least 20% stiff than OEM damping rate.

So softest yellow - softest red = 50%
and softest red - oem = 20%

don't forget often the OEM springs have sagged a good 10-20mm over the years so a set of Kings or Whiteline standard low springs might not lower your car the 15-20mm as you were expecting.

So over the years my oem springs sagged and effectively my ride is already lowered. :)

A harder spring with a good shock would ride better than a standard spring with a bad shock.....depending on how hard.

I think 'ride better' is very subjective. Some people like stiff, others like firm, me like soft.
I want opinion from people who has koni yellow + oem on their car.

vinnY
04-09-2007, 12:59 PM
got some koni yellows with some oem ek4 springs with almost 190,000k's in them
sitting on the lowest settings with the koni yellows so the front sits on the rubber and the rear has about 3 finger spaces
at the lowest setting its definitely firmer than stock
personally though i run the front at 1/4 turn and rear at 1.5 turns with front tyres at 36psi cold and rear 34psi cold
still handles fairly well :p

BlitZ
08-09-2007, 04:34 PM
front springs
OEM ek4> whiteline.

;)

SHIFTY
09-09-2007, 10:16 PM
if u do replace i would advice 2 upgrade ur shocks.. dont know how long they will last with after market springs...

probably worth doing it properly the first time and get a good set of coilovers (so that means NO D2's ect) this will increase handling performance and u can lower the car and adjust height as you like...

go for some buddyclub N+ or Teins...

goodluck buddy hope this has helped...

CTR Coupe
10-09-2007, 07:38 PM
if u do replace i would advice 2 upgrade ur shocks.. dont know how long they will last with after market springs...

probably worth doing it properly the first time and get a good set of coilovers (so that means NO D2's ect) this will increase handling performance and u can lower the car and adjust height as you like...

go for some buddyclub N+ or Teins...

goodluck buddy hope this has helped...

:confused: hes upgraded his shockers not his springs.

EK1.6LCIV
12-09-2007, 07:47 PM
My Koni yellows are fitted to my koni springs they came in a kit, great combo

EK1.6LCIV
12-09-2007, 07:48 PM
the koni springs lower it ever so slightly I would highly consider u buy them with the shocks