PDA

View Full Version : car died HELP PLZZ :(

onabuzz
03-09-2007, 11:43 PM
hey guys, tonight i was driving my car, on empty. i punched it from the lights and it started to choke then just died instantly. i pulled over the car, tried to start agian... walked up to the servo filled up like 10lt of fuel put it iin there and now it will not start at all. after about 2 hours of trying i gave up and left the car there. it cranks over, putts, cuts out straight away, and is also back firing with fuffs of smoke comming out a bit while cranking over.

i went back like 2 hours later to try agian and still nothing. has any one got any idea wat might b wrong.?!?! AHH STRESSING!, im thinking maybe my plugs fouled?

ps running a b16b wit a powerfc. any info will b great!

thanks

emsad
04-09-2007, 12:24 AM
maby ur fuel pump died.. mine does in my accord 3 days ago and had to change it.. i stopped at a servo to fill up. filled up and it wildnt sart.. it turns sort of starts then dies out.. nrma came and he hit the fuel tank and it started.. took it home and replaced the fuelpump that day.. maby that might be ur problem

Kiz_EG6
04-09-2007, 01:18 PM
You've probably just sucked some crap into ur fuel system from the bottom of ur tank!

I'd put some injector cleaner in there and then just try and keep it running (eg, use accelerator to stop it stalling) it should come good pretty quickly unless there's any other probs!

onabuzz
04-09-2007, 04:44 PM
hrmm i replaced the fuel filter, the petty comming out was pretty dirty. but still nothing.. ahh really irritating! will try some injector cleaner, see how that goes!

bennjamin
04-09-2007, 05:05 PM
it turns over but simply wont start yeah ? Checked ur ECU codes again ? Checked the main relay ?

Sir_vtec
04-09-2007, 07:08 PM
have u checked ur timing belt? when was the last time the timing belt got changed?

|N|
04-09-2007, 07:45 PM
have u checked ur timing belt? when was the last time the timing belt got changed?

huh?????

dsp26
04-09-2007, 07:54 PM
huh?????

lol ditto.

I THINK (keyword 'think') there's water in your tank... shitty stations do it... got it once from a dodgy castrol... erason i think water is coz of your 'puffy smoke' but then again depends what colour that is...

Did the car sound rumbly like a wrx before it died?

- check for spark (WARNING: This is dangerous)
- bring a spare plug with you and pull out lead #1, attach plug to it and lay it safely on the rocker cover and make sure it doesn't move.. tape it down or something.. while cranking the car, check for spark. **Note: this is dangerous, but it was the same test the NRMA fellow did on mine ages ago when looking for my no spark issue. He just left it dangling in a position where it won't move and it's free to view

- check petrol
- unplug the fuel hose off the fpr and put it into a clear coke bottle
- turn the car onto on and let it prime
- watch the 'fuel' in the coke bottle and see if it separates.. if it does theres water

Rice_4_life
04-09-2007, 08:54 PM
do all the above as dsp26 mentioned but don't forget to look at your sparkies before you do anything major. Since you've cranked it so long no doubt your sparks have been fouled.

aaronng
04-09-2007, 08:56 PM
First advice, NEVER GUN IT WITH AN ALMOST EMPTY TANK! Worst case is you get a lean condition because the G forces pull the fuel away from the fuel pump pickup.

First, turn the key to "on" and listen if the fuel pump primes. If it does, then check for ECU codes. As a last resort, try pulling out the battery terminal for a few minutes and then put it back on.

Rice_4_life
04-09-2007, 09:10 PM
lol get RACV to look at it, I bet you they'll say fuel pump, if they say it enough times they're bound to get it right once.
lol racv good times

dsp26
04-09-2007, 10:07 PM
First advice, NEVER GUN IT WITH AN ALMOST EMPTY TANK! Worst case is you get a lean condition because the G forces pull the fuel away from the fuel pump pickup.

First, turn the key to "on" and listen if the fuel pump primes. If it does, then check for ECU codes. As a last resort, try pulling out the battery terminal for a few minutes and then put it back on.

this is good advice and should be common sense for all.

happened on my sr20... and yeah the sound and feel of the engine during starvation/stall doesn't sound/feel good especially while going uphill and the engine is on bigger 'load'

mastcell
05-09-2007, 01:28 AM
Symptoms are similar to what I had with my Accent

First check your electrical problem: battery charge/leads/spark plugs. If they are OK, the next most common fault is in the fuel system, with faulty fuel pump being most likely: Turn to key to 'ON' and listen for the fuel pump priming sound, if it is silent, you will need to change the fuel pump.

For emergency start, locate where your fuel pump is located and bang on it with your palm, either on top of the pump or from underneath the car, through the plastic fuel tank. The fuel pump is usually located under the back seat (eg Hyundai Accent) or in the boot (Accord Euro)

I have written up a DIY for fuel filter/pump here. It is for an Accent but may be similar for your car (may need to register to read post):
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?showtopic=18634&hl=

ek4-guy
05-09-2007, 02:57 PM
It might be your fuel pump

You can check your fuel pump by spraying some type of fuel or carbie/throttle body cleaner, into your intake tubing or straight into your TB. While someone kicks your car over if the car goes to start and runs a little your fuel pump is most probably seen better days.

If you have a intank fuel pump sometimes these can be kicked back into life by banging the fuel tank with a rubber mallet. But its new life may be very limited but can get you out of trouble and maybe save a towing fee.

You can also check your injectors by using a LED inserted into the injector plug. i'm not sure what voltage would be needed for honda injectors maybe someone can help with this? I do know that a 3v LED works in holdens you could try that to start with it flashes your injectors are fine.

Good luck: Darryl

bennjamin
05-09-2007, 03:40 PM
He has told me it is priming - and makes spark (at the spark plugs) so what reason would it stall and not start so suddenly ? Bad coil or igniter unit ?

dsp26
05-09-2007, 03:42 PM
He has told me it is priming - and makes spark (at the spark plugs) so what reason would it stall and not start so suddenly ? Bad coil or igniter unit ?

if theres spark then coil & icm are working

process of elimination tells me theres something wrong with the fuel... i rex just drain the fuel from the tank drain and just fill up again somewhere reputable

coz the only other things that would stop fuel from flowing that can't be detected with the fuel prime test is a blocked fuel filter or dead spring in the fpr

ECU-MAN
05-09-2007, 06:03 PM
spark plugs can cause this problem as well

onabuzz
05-09-2007, 11:11 PM
hey guys got my car towed home, been working on it, took off the dizzy cap to realise the plastic bit that rotates has smashed off its shaft, doin a bit of internal damage. replaced it with my other cars dizzy and sweet as now! weird that i still had a bit of spark but??? now if any one has a spare obd2b dizzy they wana sell me feel free to pm me! thanks guys heh

ECU-MAN
05-09-2007, 11:17 PM
yeah you only get spark on one cylinder in that case, or even multible cylinders but out of timing.