PDA

View Full Version : shaved handles

notorious_shugg
05-09-2007, 10:33 AM
i want to shave off my door handles. if i do this, do i need an engineers certificate? if so how do i do this? do i do it then go to them? or do i go to them first? and who do i see about it? hope that makes sense.
cheers.

IZY-10
05-09-2007, 11:28 AM
its a defect!

IndoStyler
05-09-2007, 11:31 AM
its a defect!

yes...indeed it is. reason being is becoz if u get into a bad accident, God forbid, it would be hard for someone to help you and open ur doors if u dont have door handles.

if anything, u could maybe just shave ur door keyhole/lock

notorious_shugg
05-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Are you 100% sure? Coz in regard to the question "Are door handles required on the outside of your car" the answer was "Some means of opening the door must be provided. A button, switch, lever, handle or easy access to an internal door handle is acceptable." And this was taken from VicRoads.

IndoStyler
05-09-2007, 02:53 PM
yeah, thats saying u still need some form of equipment on the outside of ur car which enables someone to open the door from the outside.

if u were not to have any handles on the outside at all, how would someone save ur life when u've had an accident and the interior latch ir broken, and u cant get to the other door?? and wat if they're not strong enuf to break a window??

Shraka
05-09-2007, 02:59 PM
I dunno about Civics, but Integra windows are damned hard to brake. Someone over here locked his keys in his car, and tried to brake into it with a firemans mini sledgehammer. He couldn't brake it.

notorious_shugg
05-09-2007, 03:00 PM
yeah, i understand that. i'm not trying to say that isn't a highly valid point. i'm just trying to find a way i can shave the handles off and have some way of opening the doors; and i want to know, if i do do this, do i need an engineers certificate. thanks for your feedback though :)

Spicey
05-09-2007, 08:18 PM
I have seen a few different door poppers for shaved handles. In the wheel arches (inner gaurd), a switch under the side mirrors or a remote popper, like a central door locking button. Either or all works fine.

The guy that bought my old EK Civic shaved the handles and used a remote popper I believe. I have worked on a few Hot Rods with button style poppers also.

Spicey
05-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Oh, and its legal if you have a manual opener from the outside (like a lever under the mirror etc)

But I would be checking it out with your local transport authority, we get it pretty easy in tassie :)

notorious_shugg
06-09-2007, 08:29 AM
nikki - sif not have no door handles.. lol looks smooth!

spicey - yeah thanks, i know its legal if ya have someway of opening it from the outside, just gotta be creative as to where to put it and how to do it. i need to ring vicroads for confirmation beforehand though i guess..

now, can anyone give me an answer for my original question? lol

EuroDude
06-09-2007, 10:50 AM
What if the car battery goes flat, how will you open the door then?

And when you sell the car, you will have to reverse the work so the next owner can open the door properly.

You would have to unlock the car using the remote, then lower the windows, and open the door from the inside. Too much hassle man.

Just put a VTAK sticker over the handles lolz

Bayani
06-09-2007, 11:08 AM
You would need an engineering certificate - But you'd not be able to get one.

By Shaving the Door Handles you fail to comply with federal and state laws. There-by preventing the legal issuance of a Engineering Certificate.

notorious_shugg
06-09-2007, 11:10 AM
What if the car battery goes flat, how will you open the door then?
thats y yu put a handle/lever/button etc on the outside, so yu can always open the door from the outside. also, if the battery went flat getting in the car would be a bit of a waste of time.

You would have to unlock the car using the remote, then lower the windows, and open the door from the inside. Too much hassle man.

door poppers. lolz..

Bayani
06-09-2007, 11:11 AM
As a suggestion, consider a Personal-RFID Reader to replace your keys for something high-tech. You'd be able to open your car with a card in your wallet. You'd not even need to take it out.

When you swipe your card, the latch is release then the door poppers are activated.

These systems can be easily hooked up to a small power-pack; a simple task to ensure its power is to have an LED battery level indicator. Have it visible from the outside; and keep a spare power pack close by.

notorious_shugg
06-09-2007, 11:15 AM
You would need an engineering certificate - But you'd not be able to get one.

By Shaving the Door Handles you fail to comply with federal and state laws. There-by preventing the legal issuance of a Engineering Certificate.

thanks. its not illegal if i relocate the handle though is it? i dnt know where i'd put it. but i'm sure it can be done.

notorious_shugg
06-09-2007, 11:20 AM
thats a pretty cool idea. but do yu mean as well as shaving? or instead?

markCivicVti
06-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Might as well get a smart chip embedded in your hand and use that :P

Nah your idea sounds cool. I've never heard of this shaved door handle thing before. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Thought about haveing the door handles vertically instead of horizontally? By the sounds of it you want somehting more hard core.

notorious_shugg
06-09-2007, 11:56 AM
haha yeah, well i really just want them gone. give em the boot. get em outta there.. but that old chestnut we call the law has laid down their hand and said no. or something along those lines. i guess now i'm kinda looking for ideas of where to relocate the handle to. somewhere inconspicuous so its not easily seen. any ideas would be appreciated. ;) i've gotten a few ideas from ppl.

Bayani
06-09-2007, 11:58 AM
thanks. its not illegal if i relocate the handle though is it? i dnt know where i'd put it. but i'm sure it can be done.

If you relocate them somewhere else, just ensure it's in plain sight.

Colour Coding would be fine; just somewhere that would LOOK like its the door handle. LOL.

You could have the handles electronically controlled. Pull up on handles when car is in some sort of unlocked mode; and it makes a contact and releases a latch.

Maybe you could incorporate some 350z handles ;)

Bayani
06-09-2007, 12:00 PM
If you want something really crazy; why not have a door handle that pops out?