PDA

View Full Version : Unknown nosie

Pauly
07-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Hey guys,

Last night after i finished work i got into my euro and started driving. I drove about 50 meters and then turned the music down and realised that my car was making a loud metal scrapping sound. I stop the car, got out and checked under the car to see if there was anything wrong. The car made no noise when it was standing only while driving. It sounded like metal scrapping. It was comming from the front driver side of the car. After stopping a number of times, i decided to just drive the car home. But as i was driving home the nosie just stopped. Now the nosie is gone.

Anybody know what it could be?

SiReal
07-09-2007, 12:32 PM
during braking? i had that happen to a friend. a little rock got between the caliper/brake pad and the disc. after a while, obviously the rock would get ground down into nothing.

also check to see if ur pads are gone.

Pumped
07-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Sounds exactly like what i had with my car when it was pretty new.
At first i thought it was a rock in the pad but it seemed to come and go randomly.
Im not exactly sure what was causing it but something made me think it was the black plate behind the brake disc.
it seemed to be hitting something, i bent it back slightly and it stopped the noise and hasnt happened since.
It was quite sometime ago now, cant recall why i thought it was that :lol:
but it stopped the noise :p

r-r-redEuro
07-09-2007, 03:14 PM
happened to me, it was so loud it was screeching. and when i reversed my car it made a click noise and it was gone. =/

Pauly
07-09-2007, 06:07 PM
happened to me, it was so loud it was screeching. and when i reversed my car it made a click noise and it was gone. =/

the noise was constant not only while braking but the whole time the car was moving. when the car was stopped there was no noise.

same thing happened to me red euro it just stopped suddenly

r-r-redEuro
07-09-2007, 08:41 PM
yeah the noise was a constant screech when i stopped it, it stopped.

and when i was figuring out the problem i was about to reverse to clear way of the road and i heard a click noise.

btw would anyone know why this would of happened ?

cutchorama
18-10-2007, 06:30 PM
was it a toad smushed through your calipers?

badthing
19-10-2007, 12:11 AM
Pauly,
It sounds like a strip of metal wire or something was on the road and got caught underneath your car as you were driving along. That explains why you could only hear it while driving & not when you'd stopped. It also explains why you may not have spotted it when you stopped to check since the wire would've been quite thin.

I recently drove slowly over a long thin branch that was in the middle of my driveway thinking it would snap. It didn't and all I could hear was a scrapping sound as I pulled into the garage. I had to drive over a road with some potholes to finally hear it snap and dislodge itself from underneath my car.

If it was only that one incident, I'd say don't worry. Just beware of junk on the road these days. I've had to dodge wheel covers, cardboard boxes, rocks, metal brackets, plastic containers, kids (only joking) :p

cutchorama
19-10-2007, 09:02 AM
I've had to dodge wheel covers, cardboard boxes, rocks, metal brackets, plastic containers, kids (only joking) :p

I hope you mean you havn't yet needed to dodge kids, not that you were joking and you don't dodge kids when they are on the road...

19-10-2007, 09:27 AM

i'd say rock, if it happens again, reverse as red euro did, a rock against rotors is quite a loud sound totally different to metal against bitumen as someone said. the rock theory is more a screeching sound.

Pumped
19-10-2007, 09:38 AM
I know the exact sound,
Mine was coming from the Front left brake/rotor area
It happened for a while,
Definately wasn't something rubbing on the road, may be a rock in these cases.
Wasnt in mine

aaronng
19-10-2007, 01:08 PM
It's the dust shield. BTW nice thread resurrection. ;)

LXRY
21-10-2007, 02:27 PM
This happened to me and still happens from time to time.....yes aaronng I think your right.....havn't bothered to look cause it goes away after a while, definetely the dust shield :)

evolve88
28-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Hey guys,

Just had this happen to me this morning. Was just driving along not under braking, and heard this metal scrapping noise coming from the left side of the car. Stopping at a carpark and inspected, couldnt find anything. Reversed out and the noise was gone.

So why is the dust shield causing the noise? It sounded pretty bad at the time, each time the car moved there was the noise. Any known fixes for this guys?

Thanks.

LXRY
28-07-2008, 07:05 PM
You have to let your dealer know......sounds horrible doesn't it.......

aaronng
28-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Hey guys,

Just had this happen to me this morning. Was just driving along not under braking, and heard this metal scrapping noise coming from the left side of the car. Stopping at a carpark and inspected, couldnt find anything. Reversed out and the noise was gone.

So why is the dust shield causing the noise? It sounded pretty bad at the time, each time the car moved there was the noise. Any known fixes for this guys?

Thanks.

Push the dust shield back a bit. When tyre places take off your wheel, they might accidentally nudge the dust shield, making it touch the rotor.