PDA

View Full Version : got inj pulse but no spark.

TRB03
07-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Hey there thanks guys for the other help. getting on to the wreckers to get me the pgmfi relay. For the time being i have just wired the ecu and inj wires to ign power and connected the fuel pump wire to ign, and jumped across the start and earth wires so the continue to the ecu.

Prob is i am getting inj pulse but no spark, and things like the fuel pump pulse wire comes on and goes off when it should, so i think the ecu is ok but i am not even getting random sparks. if i touch the yell/grn wire at the dizzy with the testlight you can hear a ticking noise. so either the signal is not getting out of the dizzy or the ecu is not sending a signal back. i have tried 180 out aswell. the only thing that has got me scratching my head is that when i wound the engine round to tdc. the tdc mark ( the snail looking one) on the dist didnt line up to the pick up it is about 1-2cm off. Is this supposed to line up exactly on the mark if so could this be causing my dramas. will i have to get the dizzy mounts modified. Cheers to all if this makes sense and someone can figure it out.

If it helps my setup consists of a d16y4 engine, d15b5? harness and ecu,
td41u dizzy. This will all work together right.

TRB03
07-09-2007, 01:16 PM
just put an led tester across the yellow/green wire at the dizzy and there is pulsing coming from the ecu. could it be my coil ign or module.

string
07-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Go one step further and test it on the output of the ignitor. Also, use a multimeter to test your ignition coil while your at it (impedance specs are in any workshop manual). When my ignitor went, the coil gave up a week later. Exact same thing happened, fuel was fine, just no spark. Ignitors dying is common, not a big problem.

If you are getting a signal into the ignitor then theres only two things left it could be, the ignitor or the coil.

P.s. Incase you're not doing it already, easiest way to simulate the engine running is to pull the distributor off and just turn it by hand with the ignition set to on.

TRB03
07-09-2007, 03:29 PM
yeah tested the ignitor b4 and it is all good. The coil is getting ign+ to one side and while the ign is off + on the - side but while cranking it pulses (test light flashes) so i take it the ecu and ignitor are working. I also tested the coil and across +/- it showed 1.2ohms and across +/coil out it showed 12.8kohms, is this right or should the 2nd reading be higher more near the 17-18kohms.

CRXer
07-09-2007, 04:23 PM
The primary resistance seems a little high at 1.2 ohms,usually they are about 0.6 ohms,but it could be just resistance in your test leads,short the leads on your tester & see if its giving the discrepancy.Secondary reading seems ok.

You realy gotta make sure the ignition module is putting out the ECU signal,rather than just receiving the input from the ECU,I would probably start by testing a new ignition module.

TRB03
07-09-2007, 04:34 PM
I have tested the output from the icm to the coil without being connected to th ecoil and there is a constant pulse. I remember aswell back when we had the carb engine in it it just died and we tested the coil and it tested fine. but we replaced everything else and changed the coil last and it fired first go.
I have also noticed since pulling it out of the dizzy there is a hairline crack on it and a 1cm x 2cm hot spot you could say.

TRB03
07-09-2007, 09:03 PM
I tested the coil in another way. I got a jumper pack and ran pos+ to the + side of the coil and clamped a screwdriver to the -side of the jumper pack along with another piece of wire and sat the end of the screwdriver at the tip of the coil output and tapped the - wire on the Neg- side of the coil and no spark (except from the - wire touching the Neg- side of the coil). Have another coil(from the carb engine dizzy still only 4mths old) did the same thing and got spark very little but spark tho the closer you put the screwdriver the brighter it got. So from that little test id say the other one is fooked.

ECU-MAN
07-09-2007, 09:22 PM
make the airgap about 1cm

can it jump the distance with a good spark ??

TRB03
07-09-2007, 09:32 PM
make the airgap about 1cm

can it jump the distance with a good spark ??

The one i have pictured is the good one out of my carb dizzy. The one outta the d15 inj dizzy doesnt show any sign of spark even with the lights off and the screwdriver a piece of paper thickness off it. Gona buy a new one hopefully if in stock 2moro any way since this one has a hair line crack in it.