PDA

View Full Version : What can be done with a CXi?

chArged
07-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Ok, after much searching and confusion on whats what, I thought I would post this n00b question.

I'm currently putting away in order to get a civic, at the moment a 96 CXi hatch is the most likely purchase, as the other models cost a LOT more in Tassie for some reason.

Whilst I have a budget, pretend I don't. I'd like to know exactly what can be done to improve speed performance...

I know a stock CXi puts out 88kw sooo
I'd like to get a medium increase, some possibilities

N/A options, whats available and how much? How much for something like an air intake mod for parts/getting someone else to do it. What other N/A things can be done and is it possible to squeeze out 100kw and how much will it cost?

F/I: Probably after Supercharging since I only would want something like 120-130kw of power for running round the place. I know of Jacksons but any other options and costs? Turbo-ing seems too complex for me to do myself so I would need someone else to do it, and that would probably rack up into many thousands, waaaay too much. Where as a s/c I could probably do myself.

Swap: What engine could I swap into the Civic? Probably stick with N/A this way if I could get a 2L or something into it. Again, cost of having it done plus engine.

Like I said, I have done searches but there isn't much on CXi models. Forget budget for the moment, I'd like to know the cost of everything, from basic to complex. Cheers

dc2dc2dc2
07-09-2007, 04:58 PM
budget is the most important factor :)

so please state ur budget.

this isn't some fantasy thread, your gonna get stupid responses if u want it to be a fantasy thread.

ie. fully sick v12 engine y0~

JasonGilholme
07-09-2007, 05:07 PM
if you're after 120 - 130 from the engine thats in there you are going to need to turbo it. super charging will get you there but it will be with alot more boost.

Plus turbo packages are alot more common then supercharging so the price will be more affordable.

Setups range from 3000 (for the basic kit + tuning and a few extras) to about 10 - 15k for a top of the line reliable setup.

engine swaps are common as well. b16a is equal to most NA 2 litre engine on the domestic market so its a good place to start. however prices of b18's and b20's are coming down cause of the K market.

Just do your research and make a plan before commiting to anything and you'll be fine.

kerim
07-09-2007, 05:10 PM
turbo would be the way to go, i got a kit for sale to suit your car, would be more than enuf to get the power figures you want, send me pm if interested

misteR_bilzz
07-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Ok, after much searching and confusion on whats what, I thought I would post this n00b question.

I'm currently putting away in order to get a civic, at the moment a 96 CXi hatch is the most likely purchase, as the other models cost a LOT more in Tassie for some reason.

Whilst I have a budget, pretend I don't. I'd like to know exactly what can be done to improve speed performance...

I know a stock CXi puts out 88kw sooo
I'd like to get a medium increase, some possibilities

N/A options, whats available and how much? How much for something like an air intake mod for parts/getting someone else to do it. What other N/A things can be done and is it possible to squeeze out 100kw and how much will it cost?

NA is basically I/H/E, you could go further with cams cam gears valve springs and retainers there is an NA engine rebuild offerd by TODA aus in sydney.
see: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51767
Cost will always be higher when trying to get power out of an NA the above link shows a standard engine rebuild for 3k. so yeah u get the point.

F/I: Probably after Supercharging since I only would want something like 120-130kw of power for running round the place. I know of Jacksons but any other options and costs? Turbo-ing seems too complex for me to do myself so I would need someone else to do it, and that would probably rack up into many thousands, waaaay too much. Where as a s/c I could probably do myself.

basic turbo kits+installation+tune come complete from places like AVO, if you can install a sc you shouldnt have trouble with fitting a turbo kit.
i think theyre around 3.5k from AVO but yea im not too sure about sc costs in aus.

Swap: What engine could I swap into the Civic? Probably stick with N/A this way if I could get a 2L or something into it. Again, cost of having it done plus engine.

again engine conversions arnt cheap really depends what you want out of your car..
you can basically fit anything into your civic if money isnt a factor but the engine that youll have minimal trouble with fitting in there and best performing would be a b20 or the b18c7 as i think would use the same engine mounts.

for about ~3.5k u could get a b16a2 + 500 installation
~6.5k you could b18c7 or a b20 + 500 installation

chArged
07-09-2007, 05:38 PM
budget is the most important factor

so please state ur budget.

this isn't some fantasy thread, your gonna get stupid responses if u want it to be a fantasy thread.

ie. fully sick v12 engine y0~

Yes I do have a budget, no I'm not fantasizing, the reason I'm not stating my budget is I want to know all the options available, even the ones I can't afford (yet).

Setups range from 3000 (for the basic kit + tuning and a few extras) to about 10 - 15k for a top of the line reliable setup.

Thanks for that. A basic kit is really all I'm after so that price is good to know.

turbo would be the way to go, i got a kit for sale to suit your car, would be more than enuf to get the power figures you want, send me pm if interested

Will let you know when I get the car. The reason I'm on this fact finding mission is to determine if the Civic really is what I want. But good to know there is stuff available.

basic turbo kits+installation+tune come complete from places like AVO, if you can install a sc you shouldnt have trouble with fitting a turbo kit.

I'm probably wrong been wrong but I just thought there was a lot less to putting in a s/c then there is a t/c. But thanks for that.

Big problem is being located in Tassie I pretty much would need to ship everything down as I don't know whats locally around since down here pretty much the only thing people bother modding are Silvias and Skylines...

for about ~3.5k u could get a b16a2 + 500 installation
~6.5k you could b18c7 or a b20 + 500 installation

Cheers, thats really good to know.

hinezz
07-09-2007, 06:13 PM
how deep are your pockets buddy?
we'l go from there
:)

chArged
08-09-2007, 01:01 AM
I was looking at probably either one or two things

First I was thinking of forced induction. I would be working on a budget of about 3-4k if this was what I would be doing. This would either happen if I got enough extra work over the holidays OR would be performed once I've finished uni and gone full time work.

What I was thinking for the more immediate future was spending about 500-1000 on mods that would bump up the N/A performance. Ideally if I could squeeze 100kw I would be very happy, but I'm not sure on if thats even feasible for the little 1.6, let alone for only 1k. This is more likely the route I'll be taking since I want to also do a few aesthetic mods and a stereo as well.

The reason why I'm trying to find out all possibilities is I'm also weighing up the possibility of just buying an already turbocharged car and being done with it, however with a Nissan Silvia S13 or R32 skyline costing up to and over 10k, I'm seeing if I can buy a civic and mod it to get decent performance for the same(though I realize it won't be up to the performance of those, but it won't be so old and thrashed either...) since I can pick up a 96 CXi for around 6k.

misteR_bilzz
08-09-2007, 01:04 AM
why not an eg which is lighter than the ek and throwing in a b16 or b18? saving money on the actual car may be better for u in terms of power output

chArged
08-09-2007, 01:31 AM
why not an eg which is lighter than the ek and throwing in a b16 or b18? saving money on the actual car may be better for u in terms of power output

the whatta is lighter then the whosa and throw the whatta?

No idea what you just said mate, please elaborate :)

misteR_bilzz
08-09-2007, 02:10 AM
CXis are EK civics from 1996-2000 so the CXi = EK
subcategories of the EK are
- series 1 (prefacelift) 96-98
- series 2 (facelift) 99-00

the previous version of the civic 92-95 is called the EG
use the search function for a more detail response..

so basically the eg model civic is lighter than the ek model civic and will cost less due to its age.

scyt7e
08-09-2007, 02:48 AM
yeah eg is probably around 2-3 k cheaper than a ek which is the cxi or 96-00 civic you were looking at although the ek looks nicer :p ahhaha im biased as you can see the 2-3 k you save can be put towards getting a engine with more power and displacement say you need around 5-6 k to get a engine which pumps almost double the power of the stock cxi engine, a turbo may achieve that at a higher cost and less reliability, buy a eg which saves u 3 k to put towards a engine + the 2-3 k you were going to probably use to f/i and you got yourself a n/a engine at around 200hp, mayb lacking in torque compared to a turbo but heck reliability and a peace of mind possibly. many people might disagree but personally i'ld do that :thumbsup:

est1989
08-09-2007, 03:24 AM
or u could do it baller style and do a k swap :)

chArged
08-09-2007, 03:25 AM
Thanks very much, very useful info there

I must admit I'm torn between which I like more, the EK or EG. The EG lights and front look better but the rear half of the EK looks a lot better. I've heard the EG is more flexable for engine swaps and mods but as for its stock engine most of the ones round here are only 1.5s, not the 1.6 so I'd want to make sure I could do the swap before getting it I guess. Depends on whats available really at the time. I don't really know of anywhere in tassie who can get an engine in or do the swap so I'll have to start asking round.

rcdc.2
08-09-2007, 05:40 AM
nothing can be done...

albii
08-09-2007, 07:53 AM
If you have the money to throw at to turbocharge it, then i would just buy a better car.

Klayemore
08-09-2007, 08:53 AM
B20 veeTekZ!

fatboyz39
08-09-2007, 09:01 AM
Vtak!!!

incoming
08-09-2007, 09:08 AM
bang for your buck, turbo it
tight ass styles, strip the car down to the shell and save $

phantom_civic
08-09-2007, 10:00 AM
take off ur CXI badge and put a VTIR sticker to replace it.
sleeper!!!

rcdc.2
10-09-2007, 06:58 PM
take off ur CXI badge and put a VTIR sticker to replace it.
sleeper!!!

thats just gay

phantom_civic
10-09-2007, 08:01 PM
well thats just an idea?
do u have an idea for him??

albii
11-09-2007, 08:54 AM
well thats just an idea?
do u have an idea for him??

for sale honda civic cxi..