PDA

View Full Version : nutty experience?

Dy_
08-09-2007, 05:19 PM
So i've done a search a few people are saying mcGard nuts were better than the rays.

I'd like to know peoples experiences with their lug nuts; what brands they're using etc.

Brand:
Security:
Comments:

Thanks to all

panda[cRx]
08-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Brand:rays (long - black)
Security:no problems
Comments: sexy time!

never heard of mcgard nuts. if you are concerned about security any decent locknuts will do, coz NO locknuts are theft proof. if they want your rims bad enough they will take them

Jamezy
09-09-2007, 02:10 AM
Brand: Rays extended lug nuts
Security: 4 lock nuts one for each wheel
Comments:very good no worries :thumbsup:

zco
09-09-2007, 09:50 AM
you clwon. rays lug nuts have 1 lock nut for each wheel.
as panda says, none of these are theft proof. if someone has the same nuts as you, and they have the key, then they cn steal your nuts + wheels.

best of buying a set of nuts that hardly anyone has.. majority of the ppl here use rays lugnuts.. i myself have 2 lock nut keys. one short and one long.. so i can steal em if i want. lol

Dy_
09-09-2007, 10:01 AM
yep rays have one locking nut for each wheel.

so i'd prob be better off getting something other than rays.

Anyone else have experiences with other brands of nuts??

Jamezy
09-09-2007, 10:18 AM
you clwon. rays lug nuts have 1 lock nut for each wheel.
as panda says, none of these are theft proof. if someone has the same nuts as you, and they have the key, then they cn steal your nuts + wheels.

best of buying a set of nuts that hardly anyone has.. majority of the ppl here use rays lugnuts.. i myself have 2 lock nut keys. one short and one long.. so i can steal em if i want. lol

opps yer dats wat i ment my bad 4 lock nuts FOR EACH WHEEL ..

Cold Fusion
09-09-2007, 10:47 AM
mcgard? sounds like a sexy burger

SeverAMV
09-09-2007, 11:33 AM
just get something that is reasonably strong. if people really want your wheels, they'll drill thru your nuts and destroy your studs and just yank them off. lock nuts are just there to make them think they cant take it.

dsp26
09-09-2007, 12:35 PM
pfft... McGard > all other nuts and balls.
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62437&highlight=mcgard

http://www.oakos.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/MCG842xx.jpg
http://www.mcgard.com/prod_imgs/LockConeTunerB.jpg

- anodized colour never comes off
- standard key isn't common
- neither is the lock if you get it
- spline design makes it easy to loosen/tighten
- built in washer on the cone side
- really tough and less than half the price of Rays
- Comes in Black/Blue/Red
- These lock nuts are more theft resistant than any other... i welcome anyone to try

Eclipsor
09-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Brand: Buddy Club
Security: No lock nuts
Comments: Very light, Colour seems to hold well. I've been pretty happy with them.

aaronng
09-09-2007, 01:07 PM
You know cases of when people lose their lock nuts and they go to the tyre shop to get the lock nut removed? Well, thieves also have access to that tool. So don't rely 100% on locknuts. If you have a garage at home, park in it. If you are at the shopping mall, park next to the hottest car in the carpark. :)

panda[cRx]
09-09-2007, 04:09 PM
if someone has the same nuts as you, and they have the key, then they cn steal your nuts + wheels.

i wasnt refering to having a key, but yeah there are a few common methods of removing locknuts. anyone looking at steal wheels knows how (same goes for those stupid one way number plate screws which can be simply removed by a flathead screwdriver lol)

Dy_
09-09-2007, 05:31 PM
haha sweet! thanks to all

dsp26, i havnt looked at that thread yet but i will soon. do you know where i can get them from?

dsp26
09-09-2007, 07:07 PM
haha sweet! thanks to all

dsp26, i havnt looked at that thread yet but i will soon. do you know where i can get them from?

theres a few links in that thread of where you can get em.... decided to get mine from ebay as i got 2 sets and saved on shipping

dsp26
09-09-2007, 07:14 PM
also theres a reason "Light Weight" nuts are weak... i don't even know why anyone would buy them under that guise.

Like really... the inertial weight reduction as a result of 4 light nuts a wheel still won't even compare to losing 25% of your tyre tread because their so close to the centre of the hub...

~$185 delivered for Rays
or
~$90 delivered for McGard

Pros and cons already far outweigh Rays (if it even had any pros in the first place)... and i'm not being biased coz i have had Rays before also.

you decide... that $95 you save can actually get you things that really make a difference to the car.... short shifter... iridium plugs or leads... decent air filter... cai... external coil... STBs.. better engine or tranny fluid... etc etc... while already getting better security over other branded nuts

Dy_
09-09-2007, 07:32 PM
agreed; whats the weight gonna do...not like its 20kgs more.

its a deal! McGArd for me!

aaronng
09-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Also, you can't use an impact wrench with aluminium nuts, not even a battery powered one.

Dy_
09-09-2007, 08:30 PM
damn, just looked into the McGard nuts..I wanted a set of blue ones but they dont have it. They've only got it with a blue cap, which looks pretty ugly; guess im gonna have to sacrifce abit of looks for better security.

might end up spraying them?

dsp26
09-09-2007, 09:56 PM
^^^those aren't the caps... the caps are rubber and go over most of the body.

Dy_
09-09-2007, 10:01 PM
so the nut itself is going to be chrome? and then i put a rubber blue cap over it?

thats gotta suck! lol

dsp26
09-09-2007, 10:23 PM
so the nut itself is going to be chrome? and then i put a rubber blue cap over it?

thats gotta suck! lol

no no, that blue bit you see is part of the nut.

the cap is just a cap.. kinda looks like the ones you put over shift lights.

Dy_
09-09-2007, 10:29 PM
oh understood.

dsp26
09-09-2007, 10:31 PM
oh understood.

lol.

oh and you get 4 free valve stems from the lug shack