PDA

View Full Version : Sump gasket or Silicon?

DjRob
08-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Hi guys,

Went to local spare parts place and he had no listing for it in the parts book for sump gasket. Local Honda place was closed.

Just wanted to know if it does need a gasket or can just use silicon gasket maker?

For B16a.

Thanks guys

SPEEDCORE
08-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Do it right....

Get a gasket from Honda and use correct torque settings.

I didn't have a torque wrench that read low enough when I did mine.... just be sure not to tighten excessively that it bulges out / deforms too much...... it will not seal properly if you do. Mine been perfectly dry around the sump for over two years. :)

DjRob
08-09-2007, 07:58 PM
yeah I was asking if there is a gasket for it.. and you have just answered my question.

Just he couldn't find a listing for it in the parts book so he thought you don't need a gasket and told me to use silicon.

Just making sure before i take it apart

Thanks mate.

vtec_man
08-09-2007, 09:10 PM
man if there is no listing for a sump gasket then just try using silicon and tighten it up good. just like the rb25det skylines,they don't have a sump gasket,just a good amount of silicon and bolt it nice and tight. you should be fine.

DR HONDA
08-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Use the correct rubber gasket which most honda dealers carry in stock. A 1/4 inch drive torque wrench set to 9 nm. If not they tend to spread out the sides and split. If no torque wrench is available evenly tighten in circles a 1/4 to 1/2 a turn at a time till the sump seats and you wont spread the gasket. :thumbsup:

ECU-MAN
08-09-2007, 10:19 PM
man if there is no listing for a sump gasket then just try using silicon and tighten it up good. just like the rb25det skylines,they don't have a sump gasket,just a good amount of silicon and bolt it nice and tight. you should be fine.

he wont be fine, very bad advice

dont rush it, wait and get the corect gasket and fit it properly.

like speed core said torque it up right, only use a small amout of sensor safe sealant ( not silicone ) on the bit where the block meets the oil pump and rear main housing. if you use to much sealant it bulges up inside the engine where you cant clean it and if it falls off it could cause a blockage in the engine oil galeries.

blk_shadow
09-09-2007, 01:55 AM
he wont be fine, very bad advice

dont rush it, wait and get the corect gasket and fit it properly.

like speed core said torque it up right, only use a small amout of sensor safe sealant ( not silicone ) on the bit where the block meets the oil pump and rear main housing. if you use to much sealant it bulges up inside the engine where you cant clean it and if it falls off it could cause a blockage in the engine oil galeries.

yep, sealant, NOT silicone.
most Chrsyler use RTV sealant for their sump. or otherwise Ultra-blue is ok to use as well (not really recommending it tho) but only for a temporary quick fix.

fatboyz39
11-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Get a gasket from Honda. Most Auto spare shop can order one in.

As DRHONDA said very little torque. DO NOT overtighten the bolt, if you do new gasket is needed. Also apply some sealent on the corners of the gasket.

EG5
11-09-2007, 01:39 PM
as fatboyz said get a honda sump gasket
we stock them aswell

DLO01
11-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Get Gasket. I used ultra blue on some sections where joints are.

Don't over tighten OR under tighten, the nuts can come off as the are not lock nuts.