PDA

View Full Version : Changing Electric Throttle to Wired throttle

BraXta
09-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Has anyone seen or heard of someone converting the Electrical throttle with the old skool conventional wire throttle ??

ive heard of someone doin it (not to a euro) and they said it made a massive difference in throttle response and stuff...

so yeh anyone know of that being done ?

BusterSonic12
10-09-2007, 12:14 AM
isn't DBW better than old cable ones? it is just limited in mods today.

Bryce
10-09-2007, 12:17 AM
now, hah, now thats debateable

EuroDude
10-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Apparently you can remove DBW by using the DC5 throttle ignition system. You would need the intake plenum and throttle body, acceleration cable, and other connected components.

But you will lose Cruise Control and possibly other functions.

tony1234
10-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Apparently you can remove DBW by using the DC5 throttle ignition system. You would need the intake plenum and throttle body, acceleration cable, and other connected components.

But you will lose Cruise Control and possibly other functions.
You lose cruise,VSA and im not sure what other functions.

EUR003act
10-09-2007, 04:56 PM
DBW is more responsive than cable, the euro is just not set up to be over responsive in its acceleration (ie: theres a slight lag from when u push the accelerator peddle and wen the throttle body opens)

r-r-redEuro
10-09-2007, 05:32 PM
yes now i think about yes there is a slight lag, ive always wondered why. compared to other cars ive driven.

EUR003act
10-09-2007, 05:34 PM
yes now i think about yes there is a slight lag, ive always wondered why. compared to other cars ive driven.

yeah, i dont know why honda did it like that, beats me?

JasonGilholme
10-09-2007, 05:43 PM
you'll never get more response then hard wired. unless DBW can start predicting when your gonna put your foot on the gas.

EuroAccord13
10-09-2007, 06:19 PM
you'll never get more response then hard wired. unless DBW can start predicting when your gonna put your foot on the gas.

Yeap! Call me old fashioned, I still like cable throttle...

Best DBW I've driven in were the NSX and 350Z...

s-ichigo
10-09-2007, 07:46 PM
from my understanding, DBW gives you maximum torque in all range

cable is more responsive than DBW but there is this unit that helps it

http://www.jdm-option.com/eng/parts/06_12/direct.html
its for 350z

EuroDude
10-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Perhaps the DBW throttle delay is caused by the iVTEC VTC moving the CAM gears into the optimal position/angle?

EUR003act
10-09-2007, 09:36 PM
AHH most confusing grasshopper first you say "DBW is more responsive than cable" then in the same post you then say "theres a slight lag from when u push the accelerator peddle" I'm confused which is it .... more responsive OR it has a slight lag????:confused: It CAN'T be both ways....

DBW is more responsive (its basically an instant reaction from when electronic sensors in the pedal pick up movement, to the throttle body motors opening) in the euro however, there is a delay (must be something to do with the computer programming)... so in general, DBW is better, but in the euro, it lags :(

another benefit of DBW is throttle sticking in cold weather, it can be forcibly shut, unlike cable throttle which relies on a spring...

Suntzu
11-09-2007, 09:37 AM
Im a noob at this but... I thought the DBW allowed the ECU to decide how much throttle and mixture/air for that given amount of throttle you are pressing.

I.E. If say you are in 6th gear at 100kph and you floor it at 100% and the ECU says...hmm...yeah but only 20% throttle is going to make any difference and if i open up and let all the air in - then in fact ill be accelerating slower at 100% throttle in this given state. So 20% is better.

Hence the ECU is helping your shitting driving, by not opening up the throttle at max in situation where that is deemed to be sub-optimal.
hence DBW is better in that situation.

However, it seems to me that because the k24 is such a beast that they have dumbed it down for normal driving and added some numbness to the way it response at slow speeds and quick shifts. May be a durability issue or my best guess it is an EMMISSIONS issue. ECU is letting you dump fuel for MAX POWA at certain times to burn up all the fuel and not emit bad stuff.

This is why I am hoping hondata will fix it as i believe its all a software issue where you can take out this dumbing down/emmissions issue.

Sorry to be a noob but it what I reckon. cheers

EuroDude
11-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Suntzu Yes thats how I see it too.

On a cable-throttle car, the engine is a slave to the throttle.

On a DBW car, the ECU is in control, which optimizes fuel usage and improves acceleration performance in some circumstances. But the DBW system is dependent on the programming/mapping, which luckily Honda is good at.

JasonGilholme
11-09-2007, 10:35 AM
DBW just replaces the throttle cable. it doesn't allow the mixtures to be calculated differently or injected differently or even interpreted differently.

at the end of the day the engine is still the same between both setups (ie throttle position sensor is still the same idea). its just a different method of opening the throttle butterfly. (motorized VS direct connection via a cable)

i'll say it again, you'll never get more response then cable unless DBW can predict when your going to give it some poke.

EUR003act
11-09-2007, 11:05 PM
i'll say it again, you'll never get more response then cable unless DBW can predict when your going to give it some poke.

aston martin use DBW and complex programming to actually pre empt your driving... ie: jumping 3rd to 2nd doing 120kmphr it will increase the revs on the down shift.... therefore DBW is more responsive...

it is correct that honda DBW lags ive said that from the start, ive also said, DBW IN GENERAL is more responsive... electronics has no lag if its direct! u cant tell me that electric signals are slower than a cable moving... the lag is all in the ecu... hondas ecus are slow (possible for emissions control), hence honda DBW is slow

tony1234
12-09-2007, 07:35 AM
Apparently Hondata/JTUNE reflash reduces the"lag"noticeably from what i've read on the Acurazine site in US.

JasonGilholme
12-09-2007, 08:06 AM
ie: jumping 3rd to 2nd doing 120kmphr it will increase the revs on the down shift.... therefore DBW is more responsive...

what are you trying to say??

Do you mean that the car rev matches between down shifts by itself???

Thats got nothing to do with the reaction time of the DBW system. It just means that they've programmed it to rotate the TB butterfly between gears to rev the engine in order to make quicker/smoother down shifts.

they still haven't predicted throttle movements which is what you would need in order to be more responsive (aka quicker reaction time of the DBW system) then a cable system.

I think you meaning responsive in a torque/power/driveability sense whereas we're meaning responsive as in the reaction time of the DBW system. :thumbsup:

osilaya
12-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Anyone here installed a sprint booster on a euro yet. Its a small unit that is used to overcome the delayed response seen in cars with an electronic throttle control a.k.a drive by wire. A mate of mine just installed it on his subaru liberty gt and the response is amazing, can barely detect any lag at all from stationary or between gear changes. The device is similar in description to what s-ichigo posted earlier which was designed for the 350z except that the sprint booster doesn't need to be directly hooked up to the ECU.

ALN
12-09-2007, 05:38 PM
aston martin use DBW and complex programming to actually pre empt your driving... ie: jumping 3rd to 2nd doing 120kmphr it will increase the revs on the down shift.... therefore DBW is more responsive...

it is correct that honda DBW lags ive said that from the start, ive also said, DBW IN GENERAL is more responsive... electronics has no lag if its direct! u cant tell me that electric signals are slower than a cable moving... the lag is all in the ecu... hondas ecus are slow (possible for emissions control), hence honda DBW is slow

Cable throttle is for sure more responsive than DBW currently. Just try euro compare to DC5 or older model cars.
That's why a lot of honda car with DBW switch to cable throttle once they wanna go hardcore. DBW advantage is to maintain constant throttle response.
Hopefully in the future honda DBW gonna be improved.

BusterSonic12
12-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Anyone here installed a sprint booster on a euro yet. Its a small unit that is used to overcome the delayed response seen in cars with an electronic throttle control a.k.a drive by wire. A mate of mine just installed it on his subaru liberty gt and the response is amazing, can barely detect any lag at all from stationary or between gear changes. The device is similar in description to what s-ichigo posted earlier which was designed for the 350z except that the sprint booster doesn't need to be directly hooked up to the ECU.

can you link us to this product?

EUR003act
12-09-2007, 07:20 PM
what are you trying to say??

Do you mean that the car rev matches between down shifts by itself???

Thats got nothing to do with the reaction time of the DBW system. It just means that they've programmed it to rotate the TB butterfly between gears to rev the engine in order to make quicker/smoother down shifts.
. :thumbsup:

yes thats what im saying, the computer is part of the DBW... DBW isnt DBW without the computer, its just a sensor... its all to do with the entire system...

EuroDude
12-09-2007, 07:44 PM
I dont think the sprint booster works on Honda's, does it?

Have a read of this thread at vtec.net:
http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=707402

They mention "The only time my throttle behaves like other cars is when the AC is on. Then there is no rev-hang of any sort."
Dunno if this works on the Euro though.

If the delay is caused by the iVTEC mechanisms moving into position, or the dual-intake system moving into position , you may actually lose performance/torque. But according to the thread above and this thread: http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1703810 , there is a new honda ECU flash for the Civic Si that improves the DBW delays.

So a new CL9 flash should improve DBW delays on our euros.

osilaya
12-09-2007, 09:30 PM
can you link us to this product?

i think this is it www.sprint-booster.co.uk