PDA

View Full Version : HPC coating an intake?

petrovski
29-07-2004, 03:01 PM
from what i gather by HPC coating extractors it is meant to keep the heat in the exhaust and reduce the heat in the engine bay, yes/no?

so,

if you HPC coated an intake pipe would this work in reverse and keep the inside of the intake pipe cooler provided you had a cold air intake of some sort?
and/or
if you had a air box around the filter and HPC coated that would it keep the heat out once again provided it had a cold air intake??

Pete :)

SPEEDCORE
29-07-2004, 04:00 PM
To some degree......

Thinking about it I would get the inside done also..... if possible, and also the use of something like the Hondata inlet manifold gasket together would be the extent (to my knowledge) of what you can do to keep the inlet manifold cool(er).

Well...... short of whacking a bag of ice on it between runs. :wink:

egSi
30-07-2004, 08:14 AM
yeah man it would work to a degree but it would give you like 10hp!

im doin it to mine like next week, gettin heat wrap and wrapping my intake.

certify.

Kit
30-07-2004, 10:37 AM
some of the cold air intakes like the AEM have Ceramic coating to insulate it.

if you have a cold air intake pipe, I think its a waste money to have it ceramic coated, cos i don't think there will be much gain, and ceramic coating can cost a fair bit of money.

i used to have a CAI pipe on my car, at night, i would come home, open the bonnet and touch the pipe, it was cold all the way to the throttle body. and my pipe didn't have any coating on it

petrovski
30-07-2004, 12:19 PM
im getting custom pipe made up for the jazz in about a month so thanks for the comments as i dont like the aftermarket ones that are available.

so at least i was going to have a box made up for it and a cold air pipe running to it. so i was just seeing if its worth the extra money to get it hpc coated and wrapped and also maybe wrap the headers or get them hpc coated as well

anyway there all options im toying around with but definitley gettin the pipe made up in a couple of weeks

thanks for your opinions guys

Pete :)

egSi
30-07-2004, 12:46 PM
yo dude yeah just get some heat wrap instead of spraying it.

Kit
31-07-2004, 10:38 AM
yo dude yeah just get some heat wrap instead of spraying it.

no, definately DON'T heat wrap it!!
heat wrap is made from fibreglass, so if you touch it, you'll be itchy for a week! and over time it starts to flake off, not recommended to wrap an intake pipe cos you're likely to touch it a lot! :)

EgSi, ceramic coating isn't just as easy as buying a can and spraying it, it needs to be sent off to be coated, i think it can cost around $200 for a section of pipe, so its not cheap..

Petrovski, when are you going to get the intake pipe done? let me know how it goes.. are u going to get any dyno figures?
the gf just bought a jazz... maybe i'll mod it :D

A'PEXi
31-07-2004, 08:28 PM
i had an heat proof coated intake pipe, it was more like heat resistant type of paint i think

bennjamin
31-07-2004, 09:28 PM
....thermal tape or heat-wrap is designed to "keep heat in"....being designed for header useage and all .
I wouldnt really think the "loss" of absolute-manifold tempreture would suffice spending $xx.xx on tape/fat ice bitch/thermal housing etc...

For every 10 C drop in temp, expect a 3% gain

Kit
01-08-2004, 01:59 AM
i had an heat proof coated intake pipe, it was more like heat resistant type of paint i think

oh thats just paint that can stand high temperatures so that it won't burn off dude :)

tinkerbell
01-08-2004, 06:23 PM
um, isnt the air moving so fast through the intake to pick up the heat from the walls of the plenum?