PDA

View Full Version : Braking at the track Questions

arron
10-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Hey, another thread started by me...

At my last trackday at Wakefield, I remember that my tyres would always lock up periodically (due to the ABS) when braking into the last corner before the main straight.

My question is, why was this happening and what can I do to not have the ABS going mental at that corner every lap?

I kept thinking about it but haven't come to a conclusion. Is it that my tyres were crap and couldn't hold onto the road, the brake fluid was working too well and therefore were performing better than the stock brakes allow or was it me just braking too much?

I would really like to know as I really want to smoothen out my driving as my braking wasn't really helping...

For your reference, I had stock rotors, stock calipers, stock pads, Castrol Super Dot 4 fluid and Potenza GIII street tyres.

e240
10-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Usually the ABS kicks in prior to the point of lockup. It will also kick in on bumpy tracks where one wheel might lose contact with the ground.

What you can do is remove the ABS fuse when you're on the track. This would usually stop ABS from working.

Just remember to put it back for daily driving. I think ABS is fantastic technology for the street.

Benson
10-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Dont worry dude i get the same thing happening in my car and it doenst have ABS. Its common for brakes to lock up when it goes over bumps under hard braking. Example the last corner at wakefield. Best you could do is to ease on the brakes, brake earlier and exit the corner quicker

JasonGilholme
10-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Both great answers there.

x2 for both of them.

arron
10-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas..

Yeah, Claymore, i feel stupid for saying that after I had written it..
I guess i'll just be braking alot earlier... it's probably more important when to stop braking than when to start braking..

often, id brake too much... guess that's the next thing to work on..

fatboyz39
10-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Brakes are overrated.

BlitZ
10-09-2007, 08:33 PM
u are locking your brakes and u have ABS.. hmzszs.. it shouldnt happen period

atmost it should only bleeep for a micro second and then shutter str8 away

aaronng
10-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Brake earlier. Just before the last corner, there is a signboard on the left. Use that as a reference point and practice braking starting first when you pass the signboard, and then gradually braking later and later without locking up. BTW, you lock up either because you have shit tyres or you are turning while braking (overspeed and you still need to brake more to turn).

fatboyz39
10-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Last corner at wakie so bumpy. My brakes just locks up over bumps. Just try not to brake :). j/k

arron
10-09-2007, 11:54 PM
u are locking your brakes and u have ABS.. hmzszs.. it shouldnt happen period

atmost it should only bleeep for a micro second and then shutter str8 away

I don't mean my wheels are completely locking up.. the tyres would chirp really frequently in the space of a second and I would feel the ABS activating through the pedal..

I guess it's more the surface at the last corner than my braking inability that is causing this.. I thought I was doing something wrong as this wasn't happening in any other corner...

Yeah, aaron, I spend a lot of laps trying to brake later and later by using features on the grass, but I was still very inconsistent with my braking...

Thanks for all the info.. has reassured me that I'm not doing everything wrong.. :D