PDA

View Full Version : black smoke..

chindobaby
10-09-2007, 06:21 PM
my em1 is running rich..
coz its blowing alot of black smoke when i vtec it..
wat should i do to get it running normal again ?
what should i be looking at ?
any help is much appreciated..

thankz in advance..

wp89
10-09-2007, 06:37 PM
how much is alot of black smoke...
some black smoke is quite normal

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1262&highlight=running+black+smoke

phantom_civic
10-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Try changing the oil???

solitz
10-09-2007, 09:12 PM
some black smoke is ok when you VTEC is coz that is the car trying to protect itself at the high RPM

|N|
10-09-2007, 09:45 PM
my car does that too.. running rich is better then lean ... i guess if its not too much its ok

technify
10-09-2007, 09:49 PM
got a mate who was blow black smoke, till he changed different petrol station and it stopped.
i guess thats one option you can try.

SeverAMV
10-09-2007, 10:02 PM
you could try running half a tank of an ethanol based petrol to see if that leans it out a bit and cleans up your lines a bit. aside from that, the only things you can do to lean it out is tweak the ecu, or bump up your intake flow rate.

|N|
10-09-2007, 10:24 PM
you could try running half a tank of an ethanol based petrol to see if that leans it out a bit and cleans up your lines a bit. aside from that, the only things you can do to lean it out is tweak the ecu, or bump up your intake flow rate.

if ur talking abt the one shell has...
i m strongly against it... b16a2 is not designed to run on it....

zco
11-09-2007, 12:57 AM
some black smoke is ok when you VTEC is coz that is the car trying to protect itself at the high RPM

errr okay then..

black smoke could be caused from carbon build up in your cat. then when you rip it, all out it comes

Zilli
11-09-2007, 07:27 AM
the ecu from the factory is tuned to run rich at higher rpms to protect the motor... increasing the intake flow rate, or the amount of air coming in throuhg a free-er flowing intake will cause the ecu to run more fuel is my understanding... could be wrong through

solitz
11-09-2007, 07:59 AM
the ecu from the factory is tuned to run rich at higher rpms to protect the motor... increasing the intake flow rate, or the amount of air coming in throuhg a free-er flowing intake will cause the ecu to run more fuel is my understanding... could be wrong through

yeah dat was my understanding aswell

solitz
11-09-2007, 08:23 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61091&highlight=VTEC+black

albii
11-09-2007, 09:04 AM
^if for you life doesn't start till 9000rpm ,then you have not been born yet.

DUST
11-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Mine does wikid black smog attacks too, when im hitting 8000 rpm vtekking :D

This Mercedes with an AMG badge real or not, im not sure, was behind me. So i Vtek it and i look behind to see him smothered in my smog attack. It was awesome, i guess he have to go wash his car after that lol :D

SeverAMV
11-09-2007, 04:06 PM
if ur talking abt the one shell has...
i m strongly against it... b16a2 is not designed to run on it....

its not designed for long term use, but short term use for cleaning your lines up is fine.

chindobaby
11-09-2007, 08:22 PM
hey guys.. ive been using bp ultimate ever since i bought the car 1yr and a half ago..
i put a panel filter in like 3months ago? lol i dont know if it did anything.. seems like it didnt..
i hardly vtec it btw.. and its not just some black smoke.. my mates tell me its a fair amount..

might get a full exhaust soon.. +hiflow cat, so i can also see if it will still blow alot of black smoke.... if it does then it means its not carbon build up right?

thankz guys for the replies and infos...
wat else can i be looking to do to figure this thing out..?

[ricer]
11-09-2007, 09:37 PM
i hardly vtec it btw..

if u baby ur car too much ur gonna get build up till u give it a good rev and clean up some of the carbon...

SeverAMV
11-09-2007, 10:30 PM
hey guys.. ive been using bp ultimate ever since i bought the car 1yr and a half ago..
i put a panel filter in like 3months ago? lol i dont know if it did anything.. seems like it didnt..
i hardly vtec it btw.. and its not just some black smoke.. my mates tell me its a fair amount..

might get a full exhaust soon.. +hiflow cat, so i can also see if it will still blow alot of black smoke.... if it does then it means its not carbon build up right?

thankz guys for the replies and infos...
wat else can i be looking to do to figure this thing out..?

well if its not in your exhaust and its still black smoke, then something's wrong with your combustion chamber. obvious thing would be the wrong sparkies. theyre a cheap fix, so have them checked/replaced after the exhaust.

sleeper
11-09-2007, 11:43 PM
yeah try using different fuel as technify has said or maybe changing your oils..

DUST
12-09-2007, 09:28 AM
I use BP ultimate too and i still get the smog attack.

Go with sleeper's idea, change fuel and use better oil.

chindobaby
12-09-2007, 08:46 PM
i use motul 10-40 , wat should i try to use for my next oil change?
also i just changed my spark plugs.. they are just normal ngk plugs..
changed my fuel filter today.. it might help? lol.
as for the fuel, which one should i go and try?
thankz guys..

DUST
12-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Do what my friend's do, spend $60 on a bottle of oil. Don't know why they spend so much on oil. They only drive it on the streets and never use their car for racing so i don't understand why they would spend so much on oil...

dupac->
14-09-2007, 12:49 AM
what i've noticed with my car...

i use one kind of petrol it runs less sweet no smoke when fanging..

but when i start gettin lazy and going from sehll to bp to caltex to mobil my car blows much more smoke?

lol dunno if its just me.. or it could be it?
hahaha

dupac->
14-09-2007, 12:51 AM
my car runs better everyday with bp more kms.

my car feels better when im fanging it with shell.

i totaly empty the tank or get close to before i change petrol brands.
haha just in case

chindobaby
14-09-2007, 08:21 PM
hehe i c
thankz guys.. i might try shell then...

Ericx
15-09-2007, 09:41 AM
I just recently filled my car up with Shell V Power and got my full exhaust system installed. Its a Fujitsubo RM01A with a Magnaflow high flow cat. I didnt really get a chance to vtec it until last night. The exhaust outlet was shiny before i vteced it. Now its a bit black, so I guess it does run a little rich in high revs to protect the engine.

chindobaby
17-09-2007, 07:00 PM
hey guys.. i tried shell petrol today..
dont know if it made a difference yet..
but if it is to work, how long will it take to settle in,
until i dont get black smoke when vtec-ing..

thankz..