PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a extra Key

kw0n3k
10-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Hey all,

i got a friend who just recently brought a Prelude Si 98 model. thing is it only came with 1 key and another Honda key.

wanna know if i can just get the key that she's got and go my usual key cutting place to get the key's duplicated. is it possible? im a mechanic btw, soo we get customers asking use to cut extra keys, but i know there's some voodoo stuff with these keys with some security tag.

well any advice is greatly appreciated,
thanks in advance,

Kelvin

Mrkrooz
10-09-2007, 07:45 PM
um i dnt think you would have any problems cause the immobiliser is seperate from the key so i think it should be ok....

vtek
10-09-2007, 11:28 PM
they have chips inside them so you wouldnt be able to program them your self.

5thGen
11-09-2007, 12:25 AM
Yeh as far as I know you cant just get a key "cut"

With the sale your friend should have gotten an extra Red key which is basically a spare that can be programmed to the car. You have to take it to Honda for this.

[stealth]
11-09-2007, 12:26 AM
you can get key cut but its useless.. you need the RED/master key in order to cut and copy keys

kw0n3k
11-09-2007, 07:21 PM
;1341554']you need the RED/master key in order to cut and copy keys

yeah i got that, but how is a key cutting place gonna get the same teething as the master key, when the red key has completely different teeth marks?

all i wanna do is copy the master key, which i know can be done, problem is, the owners manual says some bs about some chip in the key that has some vodoo stuff going on.

all i need is a copy of the master key, i dont think the red key has anything to do with this situation inless ive lost all keys. then i take that red key to honda which then they will make duplicate copies of the master & slave key.

ECU-MAN
11-09-2007, 07:39 PM
to be able to program in a genuine honda key you need the red key.

you can get your exsisting black key copied from a locksmith, the duplicate the transponder signal.

5thGen
12-09-2007, 02:10 AM
^^ thats more like it. Thanks for clarifying.

panda[cRx]
12-09-2007, 02:19 AM
yeh u will need to get a normal blank immobiliser key, get that cut to the key code (which u can get from a dealer). then the new immobilser key needs to be programmed with all other old keys to the vehicles immobilser unit.

jeremyweb
14-09-2007, 06:17 PM
I have a 97 vti-r atts,and was quoted 140 for a spare key from honda,i was thinking ahh i dont think so.So i left it for awhile and kept an eye out on ebay,finally found one got it cut to code and arrived today.
so far has cost me 25$ for the key,$15 for cutting to code,which can be found in your service manual.
You need to make sure you buy a blank key with a blank chip in it.Know all i have to do is take mine down,to the local key shop,and they will program the key for me.
You need to make sure you bring the original key,because they copy the digital signature of it,and duplicate that to the chip in the blank chip.

There are acouple on ebay at the moment,good luck with it,its pretty easy.Just dont put the key into the ignition until you have it prgrammed or :thumbdwn: abd things can happen ;).

i4560011
16-09-2007, 12:14 AM
jeremyweb's on the money here.

1. Go on ebay get a honda blank for $25 bucks
2. go to mister minit or similar locksmith with immobiliser coding machine.

all done for under $60 bucks

ozR18
16-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Jeremy thx...just go myself the 25 bucks coded key from ebay today...

jeremyweb
16-09-2007, 03:38 PM
No problem glad i could help,ended up costing me about $55
key-$25
cutting-$15
Programming-$12
Postage-$3
Honda wanted $140 :wave:

[stealth]
17-09-2007, 12:44 AM
where did u get urs blanks programmed from jeremy? site?

jeremyweb
18-09-2007, 04:24 PM
local mr mint did it for me,remember that to program the key they need the original.All they do is put the original into the slot,take it out and put the blank key in.Thats it,finished in about 10seconds.

So ask whom ever you bought the key off to cut it to code for you,the code is in the front of the service manual,it is called "key no",shouldnt cost more than 15$.Then go to mr mint or other key shop that has a programmer,if your not sure ask them.
Then put it in the car,any problems take it back to the key shop,i didnt have any problems at all.
finished,youve got yourself a new key for more than 50% off what honda would charge,Easy as that

ozR18
19-09-2007, 02:13 AM
local mr mint did it for me,remember that to program the key they need the original.All they do is put the original into the slot,take it out and put the blank key in.Thats it,finished in about 10seconds.

So ask whom ever you bought the key off to cut it to code for you,the code is in the front of the service manual,it is called "key no",shouldnt cost more than 15$.Then go to mr mint or other key shop that has a programmer,if your not sure ask them.
Then put it in the car,any problems take it back to the key shop,i didnt have any problems at all.
finished,youve got yourself a new key for more than 50% off what honda would charge,Easy as that

saw ur comment on the sellers feedback on ebay..that seller has pretty good deals..30 bucks for a new honda remote controls with uncut key..hmm wonder how long it took to receive your key??

jeremyweb
19-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Yeh the seller is pretty good,it took about 4 days to receive.Which is not too bad whats the hurry?:p.