PDA

View Full Version : bigger wheels help or not?

bal
11-09-2007, 01:27 PM
will a bigger wheel and lower profile tyre help with traction?

i have 15's with 195 50 15 and they were fine with my old engine (b16a) didnt have much problem with loss of traction. but now i have a k24a and its a i get a fair bit of wheel spin when taking off.

will 16's or 17's help with this?

DLO01
11-09-2007, 01:44 PM
With the Same tyre and Same width, 15 inch is better in regard to staight line take off.

Larger wheel, less tyre sidewall, less flex. Power is put more abruptly/instantly to the ground. The tyre has less or no flex, therefore spin.

Smaller wheel, more tyre sidewall, more flex. Power is put more gently/evenly to the ground. The tyre flexes gripping the ground more efficiently.

barefootbonzai
11-09-2007, 04:32 PM
We've found having bigger wheels helps with traction on the street. Probably because they are just heavier, and takes abit more effort to get them moving.

Plus with bigger wheels you can generally get wider wheels and tyres.

luxobarge
13-09-2007, 02:18 PM
will 16's or 17's help with this?

Better rubber will help with your problem :thumbsup:

panda[cRx]
13-09-2007, 05:24 PM
With the Same tyre and Same width, 15 inch is better in regard to staight line take off.

Larger wheel, less tyre sidewall, less flex. Power is put more abruptly/instantly to the ground. The tyre has less or no flex, therefore spin.

Smaller wheel, more tyre sidewall, more flex. Power is put more gently/evenly to the ground. The tyre flexes gripping the ground more efficiently.

while this makes sense....
(look at drag cars for example, you dont see them rolling on 20's)

We've found having bigger wheels helps with traction on the street. Probably because they are just heavier, and takes abit more effort to get them moving.

Plus with bigger wheels you can generally get wider wheels and tyres.

from personal experience i'd agree with the pov man with no shoes

grumpy rooster
13-09-2007, 11:54 PM

Very true. Go for a smaller rim with a tyre that has a larger profile.

royal
03-10-2007, 03:35 AM
But surely a grippier tire like semi slicks will help with traction in any size!

DLO01
03-10-2007, 06:17 AM
Absolutly! that plus a larger profile is better again.