PDA

View Full Version : jst got keyed :(

`OzLude
12-09-2007, 08:50 AM
..hi, i recently got keyed by someone and i dont see how some people are able to do that to someone else's car, but reason for the thread being..

i was just wondering, would it be worth using touch up paint on the car, because

1) i had been told that the touched up area's would stand out too much and look funny..

2) if i leave the key marks there, then you would be able to see the underlayer of the paint

or 3) if i get the whole car resprayed, then it would be a fair bit costy, and i dont know if down the track someone decides to try it again, making the whole repsray not worth it.

which brings me to the question of, asking for peoples opinions on what i should do in regards to the car getting keyed, and how i should resolve this issue

thanks for the help in advance.

Zilli
12-09-2007, 09:01 AM
you sound like you value the appearance of your ride... if you have insurance, you can get it fixed for the cost of the excess, and if you really want a respray completely (panels may not match in colour) get the repairer to quote the rest of it.

i personally couldnt live with key scratched or touch up paint

est1989
12-09-2007, 09:07 AM
where was it keyed? i dont think it would be a good idea to use touch up paint as it would stand out quite badly... see if u can go through insurance as stated above by zilli... you could get the panels resprayed but then you would be taking the chance that it may not match in colour andthen u would go through more sorts of troubles or they could spray it correctly and ur car would look as good as new...
my 2c ..

`OzLude
12-09-2007, 09:20 AM
its not that im overly obsessed in regards to the paint, but its just the fact that it had been keyed by someone. and now my car has scratches on both doors and back fenders //.

and i would like it to look at least half decent.. and yeah i didnt think i should use touch up paint because the mark will show fairly strong as it is new paint.

so instead of key marks, it will have a stronger paint colour in its place.

and it was done while i was at working, done in the carpark.

blahZ
12-09-2007, 09:25 AM
do you kno of any1 who would do this to you?

hinezz
12-09-2007, 09:26 AM
any pics of how bad it is?

`OzLude
12-09-2007, 09:35 AM
i dont know of anything or anyone that would actually do this, or any idea why it was my car that was targeted. .. its not like i provoke anyone or drive wrecklessly..

and the doors both have a key line.. in a wave..
i dont have pics at the moment as it happened yesterday

the doors have a wave.. like a wavy line up and down on both sides

and also on the back fenders they have swirl marks
i would say.. "if anyone has seen destruksion's [ sorry if i spelt it wrong, and your in this thread ] his avatar//dp.. it looks like that but not moving..on the back fenders.

m3ntAL_l2
12-09-2007, 10:36 AM
cover up the scartch asap or it will start to rust

`OzLude
12-09-2007, 10:44 AM
would i be able to do that with a buff/detail and touch up paint temporarily?

until i can get it professionally fixed..?

( sorry if that sounded noob, im still learning all this )

koitsuu
12-09-2007, 10:48 AM
I would personally try to cover the scratch with some touchup paint just so it wont rust. I know touchup paint looks ugly when you look closely but is better then having rust grow on the panels. I wouldnt suggest to respary the car is too costly and not worth the money just to cover the key scratch

`OzLude
12-09-2007, 11:12 AM
i was thinking maybe to use touchup paint, then cleaning/buffing/waxing, etc in hope that it suits and does not look extremly off colour...

and the reason why i had concidered a respray was because it was on both doors and the back fenders ..
but maybe a fair bit later down the track.

and reason being was just that a fair few touch up job's that i've seen havent turned out all well, in which brings me to seeking the advise of others that have more experience than i do.

NightKids
12-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Yeah i know how u feel man, my car got keyed a few months after i got it. I used touch up paint in fear that it would rust. It's a lil bit obvious in the day but at night you couldn't tell the difference.

kn1ghtm4r3
12-09-2007, 12:15 PM
call the touch up guys they usually come to u and they do a great job =)

sis bf had his car boot keyed from one side of the taillight all the way to the other. it was a rolla by the way. also he had a couple other spots keyed which were also fixed by them as well.

but depends on how deep the scratch is

honda_ek4
12-09-2007, 01:56 PM
heard there is a chalk thing u can use to cover it up, maybe someone can confirm that?

turbo convert
12-09-2007, 02:02 PM
touch up guys will be able to help you out for sure especially if mark is not too deep.
i have used them in the past and there great although each area is diffrent guys.
And you ask y do people do it: well people are jealous in most cases of something you have or they dont have!!!!! that and ppl are just F*&ked:(

Nepolian
12-09-2007, 03:06 PM
touch up guys will be able to help you out for sure especially if mark is not too deep.
i have used them in the past and there great although each area is diffrent guys.
And you ask y do people do it: well people are jealous in most cases of something you have or they dont have!!!!! that and ppl are just F*&ked:(

Agreed........there are people which are just simply sh*theads and do it coz they can unfortunately.

Look in the phone book, dependant on the colour, you might get away with using the touch up guys. They are good, obviously depending on who you use that is.

[SDCTVE]
12-09-2007, 03:41 PM
i know how you feel, i got keyed not long ago, unfortunately i got keyed on both sides- doors n panels and the bonnet! pretty bad but it worked out in my favour cos i got enough money out of the insurance to pay for a full respray! and all i had to pay was $400 excess.
so my advise..... key the rest of your car n get a full spray job :D

neil1112
12-09-2007, 10:08 PM
;1344099']i know how you feel, i got keyed not long ago, unfortunately i got keyed on both sides- doors n panels and the bonnet! pretty bad but it worked out in my favour cos i got enough money out of the insurance to pay for a full respray! and all i had to pay was $400 excess.
so my advise..... key the rest of your car n get a full spray job :D

how long did it take to fix ur car?....i got my car keyed agez ago and yet to have it fixed...im planning to go wid insurance aswell..they quoted me 1.6k for excess i was like wtf!!!! lol...so ideally i just call up and say i got keyed 2 days ago and they'll process it and we choose a panel beater ??..

JaCe
13-09-2007, 08:52 AM
My driver's door got keyed.. I still haven't realy done anything apart from put touchup paint on it... but you can still see it in the sun. Oh well.

Antonio 84
13-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Mine got keyed a few weeks ago too, I know how you feel.

I'm putting it through insurance and getting it all resprayed. The scratches are too deep for touch up paint and it woudn't look any good with the pearlescent paint anyway.

You've just got to hope it doesn't happen again I guess.

J-Rome
13-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Yeah my ex put some nice racing stripes down my bonnet...now she's dead, jokes :P

steve88
13-09-2007, 01:48 PM
i read a DIY somewhere her where people put blobs of touch up paint of chipped paint/keyed (assuming your down to primer), and then use a clay bar to sand it back. do you guys find this works?

xntrik
13-09-2007, 01:50 PM
If it wasnt too deep, you can try and get it buffed out.

JaCe
13-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Yeah my ex put some nice racing stripes down my bonnet...now she's dead, jokes :P

Ouch ><

J-Rome
13-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Yeah it sucks but hey what can u do? Jealousy is a curse

JaCe
13-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Yeah it sucks but hey what can u do? Jealousy is a curse

Sigh. I still feel pity for anyone else who's got their car keyed. I suppose over time, if you park in shopping centres and whatnot, you find mysterious scratches/marks appearing when you wash/clean the car and there's not much you can do about it.

markCivicVti
13-09-2007, 05:57 PM
I wish all parents would teach their kids to be careful when getting in/out of the car when in carparks.

Yeah one day i found a nasty deep scratch on my rear bumper at the end of a day at uni.. also my front and back windscreen wipers were raised up too. Huh?

Why would someone raise a parked cars windscreen wipers?? Whats wrong with people!

BTW i wasn't even parked in a uni carpark... it was like 2 blocks away in some residential streets (cos it's free ;)).

JaCe
13-09-2007, 08:56 PM
I wish all parents would teach their kids to be careful when getting in/out of the car when in carparks.

Yeah one day i found a nasty deep scratch on my rear bumper at the end of a day at uni.. also my front and back windscreen wipers were raised up too. Huh?

Why would someone raise a parked cars windscreen wipers?? Whats wrong with people!

BTW i wasn't even parked in a uni carpark... it was like 2 blocks away in some residential streets (cos it's free ;)).

OMG I saw someone's car totally smashed in the uni carpark... as in it was clear that whoever parked next to them had reversed into the side of the car or something... I saw the owner just return to the vehicle (saw her walk in as I was driving looking for a parking) and then saw her freak out at her very injured E36.

`OzLude
13-09-2007, 10:14 PM

yeah i dont know whats wrong with some people these days, your just minding your own business elsewhere, then come back to the car and find a new scratch or dent somewhere by some random.

i ended up ordering a paint pen for it, in hope that it would delay the rust and make it alittle bit less obvious...

and in regards to the resprays, if you have got one, i just hope it doesnt happen again hey.
thats the only thing holding me back from getting a paint coat for my car...
that 2months down the track you find another scratch to replace the old ones lol.

nvmee
13-09-2007, 10:17 PM
man i feel yah, if it was in cabramatta itsbecause u both signalled at the same time and u happened to go in first

AsH_
14-09-2007, 11:02 PM
can u put it through insurance?

a full re-spray?

TypeRice
15-09-2007, 09:10 PM
i say put some flame decals over the scratched parts
den it makes ure car look cool.. lol

jeffske
15-09-2007, 09:29 PM
did you steal someone's parking spot?? haha

anhie
18-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Hi I'm new here and can't seem to add post. Hope you don't mind asking.

I recently acquired a honda civic coupe. I park where i live and came to find a dent on the pillar near the front windscreen on the passenger side where some of the paint scratched off.
Does anyone know how much it would it cost to repair? and
What's a quick fix so that it doesn't rust as dont have the money to fix it yet.