PDA

View Full Version : Euro clutch problem?

joeseven
12-09-2007, 09:37 AM
Gday everyone

My Euro's just ticked over 83000km, and has developed a nasty noise when taking off from standstill. My mechanic has said it's something to do with a spigot or spring within the clutch mechanism.

I know my explaination isn't all that technical, but has anyone had a similar issue? What did you do to fix it? Did you get it done under warranty?

Thanks

Joe

luxobarge
12-09-2007, 09:48 AM
I beleive i have the same problem....

When accelerating from a stand still if you load the clutch and ride it slightly (if that makes sense) it squeeks. Only at a certain point.

I've just learnt to take off differently, still happens every now & then though.

I would think the best and only repair would be to replace the clutch (and supporting mechanisms).

BTW - Mine has ticked over 120,000kms

EuroDude
12-09-2007, 09:50 AM
It is a "whooo" noise when riding the clutch?

That is a common issue and Honda will fix it under warranty.
Apparently its a problem with the Spigget Bearing, and they sometimes just replace the clutch side of the gearbox (not the clutch itself though).

Look at this thread: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61556

joeseven
12-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Awesome, thanks for the info. It sounds exactly as described, a bearing noise when clutch is loaded up from standstill. I've spoken to Honda and will get them to check it out tomorrow.... fingers crossed....

Will inform the forum of the outcome.

joeseven
13-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Checked into Honda today.... "mate, we can't find the noise, don't know what you're talking about.... could be a new clutch, they wear out, your clutch is heavy, $1500" - any hints?
It's not clutch, the clutch isn't heavy as suggested (when compared with Dad's similar but 50km newer Euro) and there's no issue with travel or clutch pick-up - it's just noise.

EuroDude
13-09-2007, 11:12 AM
You need to get one of their mechanics to come for a ride with you so you can show them how to replicate the problem.

Usually it happens in these conditions:

-When the car is cold from sitting overnight
-When engaging first gear up a hill
-When you ride the clutch for a second or more.

sameol3
13-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Yeah definitely sounds like the problem i noticed awhile ago...same proceedure i went through...tried to exactly pin point the noise and found it was during an incline on first gear...
took it to honda to have it look at but they obviously didnt find the fault... or counldn't try hard enough... i gave up trying..but now my cars out of warranty so ill have to get it fixed on my own accord... any1 know how much it will cost to fix ?

EuroDude
13-09-2007, 04:07 PM
^ I imagine it would take a few hours to drop the gearbox, replace the faulty component, and reassemble it. The main gearbox section doesnt need to be opened so its not very time consuming. The bearing itself wouldn't be too expensive. Im guessing all up about $400? Maybe more?

I would just wait for the clutch to go, then get the bearing replaced at the same time. You can avoid the noise by avoiding riding the clutch and simply engaging it faster whilst rev matching at around 1800rpm+ to avoid stalling.

sameol3
13-09-2007, 04:13 PM
yeah sounds like a good idea...was planning to change the clutch sumtime soo anyways...
i wonder if raising the car and getting under it so i can kick it... and that should fix it... jk...