PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Intake for 2003 Civic Vi

HWIROL
13-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Hey guyz & gals,

Ive got a 2003 Honda Civic Vi, 1.7L D17A VTEC engine...

im looking at adding some performance to my engine...i was thinking of starting with a Cold AIr Induction...maybe something like a K&N typhoon induction kit...are these kits good?

A mate of mine told me to buy a pod filter and go to an exhaust shop and get the piping made...would it be cheaper?

Does the stock air box actually flow really well, and is it best to just get a highflowing air filter?

what do u guys think & recommend?

bangers178
13-09-2007, 08:05 PM
hi
with the civic Vi, there are very little performance mods for it as i used to have one myself. i would agree with your friend to go to a exhaust shop and get a custom pipe one done, because im pretty sure their nothing available for the Vi. with your air box u might aswell take it out becasue imo its actually shit for airflow, it just reduce noise. what i did was bought a K&N panel filter and replaced it witht he stock one, ripped out the airbox and replaced it with a short ram pipe. pretty sure ur engine is a D17Y aswell.
hope it helps cheers

clem
14-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Hmm i'll probably be getting a kit off ebay soon that replicates the Injen cold air intake kit and i'm just gona swap the pod with a k&n pod.

Ebay it costs about 160 aus. Not really worth getting the typhoon kit imo which is about 450.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-01-02-03-04-05-Civic-EX-DX-LX-Cold-Air-Intake-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQihZ013QQitem Z230169425250QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

These guys shud fit our engine bays since its pretty much the same as the US models.

HWIROL
14-09-2007, 01:39 PM
hi
with the civic Vi, there are very little performance mods for it as i used to have one myself. i would agree with your friend to go to a exhaust shop and get a custom pipe one done, because im pretty sure their nothing available for the Vi. with your air box u might aswell take it out becasue imo its actually shit for airflow, it just reduce noise. what i did was bought a K&N panel filter and replaced it witht he stock one, ripped out the airbox and replaced it with a short ram pipe. pretty sure ur engine is a D17Y aswell.
hope it helps cheers

Cheers for that Bangers! I think i will do just that...get the panel filter and get a ram pipe made from an exhaust shop...be heaps cheaper than a k&n typhoon kit, they cost around $420...

Thanks for the advice...

HWIROL
14-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Hmm i'll probably be getting a kit off ebay soon that replicates the Injen cold air intake kit and i'm just gona swap the pod with a k&n pod.

Ebay it costs about 160 aus. Not really worth getting the typhoon kit imo which is about 450.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-01-02-03-04-05-Civic-EX-DX-LX-Cold-Air-Intake-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQihZ013QQitem Z230169425250QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

These guys shud fit our engine bays since its pretty much the same as the US models.

Cool man, if you get it, let me know how you go with it and if it fits and all that jazz..

bangers178
14-09-2007, 05:35 PM
yeah no problems mate.
what rims do u have on ur car? looks good

HWIROL
15-09-2007, 11:15 AM
yeah no problems mate.
what rims do u have on ur car? looks good

They are 18"x7.5" Gestalt Virouge GV-2...i really like them and suit the car really well!

bangers178
16-09-2007, 08:29 PM
6945yeah i use to have 18' lowenharts LDR. they suited the car good.

HWIROL
17-09-2007, 04:28 PM
looks nice man

HWIROL
18-09-2007, 01:40 PM
i went to autobarn today re CAI kit for my car & the reckons if i get a pipe made from an exhaust shop (as they use stainless steel) it will absorb the heat and wont have a good flow through it...

is this right? he was saying something along the lines of getting a pipe made from aluminum what they use intercooler piping for as it breathes better...

Sydsyd
18-09-2007, 01:42 PM
use PVC pipe, ghetto style...just like mine...it didn't get hot at all...el cheapo, costs less than $100 with K&N pod

HWIROL
18-09-2007, 02:03 PM
want something that will flow well but also look good.

Nepolian
18-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Buy a nice pod filter, take the car to a good exhaust shop, get pipe made up in stainless and if you really want get a nice stainless plate made up to shield it from the heat.

If you really want to you can also get some flex tubing and run it from the front of the car to the filter to give it some cold air. They even come in different colours.

Should cost you <$150 if you are willing to do some running around.

Enjoy :)