PDA

View Full Version : 7th gen gli civic exhaust

js0n1
14-09-2007, 02:30 AM
Hi
I was just wondering would I be better off getting a cat-back system or just replace the muffler to improve exterior appearance due to the non-performance nature of the 7th gen civics.

pipocai
14-09-2007, 04:41 AM
I reckon you should just get an exhaust tip which saves you heaps. The car is well underpowered + by adding the catback system you will only add a little more power which doesnt make much difference. If you are looking for stly then i reckon an exhaust tip would do but if u like lous noises then you shuld get the cat-back system =P

Zdster
14-09-2007, 09:23 AM
I reckon you should just get an exhaust tip which saves you heaps. The car is well underpowered + by adding the catback system you will only add a little more power which doesnt make much difference. If you are looking for stly then i reckon an exhaust tip would do but if u like lous noises then you shuld get the cat-back system =P

This is just plain wrong.

An exhaust tip is the bit that sticks on the end of the muffler and will just make a cosmetic change.

Replacing the muffler (and subsequently the tip) will change sound (may give you a slight performance increase) and a cosmetic change.

The catback will give you potentially more performance than just swapping out the muffler.

Personally I wouldnt worry to much about a catback system unless you were going to replace the headers and cat (and even then you would have to question the cost vs benefit involved). I would stick to getting an axle back (as in the muffler and tip, plus a small piece of piping to the axle where a flange is installed for easy removal).

clem
14-09-2007, 10:40 AM
This is just plain wrong.

An exhaust tip is the bit that sticks on the end of the muffler and will just make a cosmetic change.

Replacing the muffler (and subsequently the tip) will change sound (may give you a slight performance increase) and a cosmetic change.

The catback will give you potentially more performance than just swapping out the muffler.

Personally I wouldnt worry to much about a catback system unless you were going to replace the headers and cat (and even then you would have to question the cost vs benefit involved). I would stick to getting an axle back (as in the muffler and tip, plus a small piece of piping to the axle where a flange is installed for easy removal).

You pretty much just repeated what he just said... what's so wrong about that? He just summed up that in the 7th gen theres no real difference in performance if you only change the cat back and said you would save significantly if its just the look you wanted (by changing the tip).

Zdster
14-09-2007, 11:08 AM
You pretty much just repeated what he just said... what's so wrong about that? He just summed up that in the 7th gen theres no real difference in performance if you only change the cat back and said you would save significantly if its just the look you wanted (by changing the tip).

No, he is wrong in suggesting that an exhaust tip is (the same as) a muffler. They are two separate items.

clem
14-09-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm not trying to start a flame with you, but you were referring to pipocai's post but nowhere did he say that replacing the tip was replacing an entire muffler. He was suggesting that instead of changing the cat-back, change only the tip to get the look, nothing there about changing muffler, just adding the tip to the stock muffler.

You got mixed up with js0n1's post about just replacing muffler or cat-back which yes are two seperate entities.

pipocai
14-09-2007, 12:31 PM
Hi
I was just wondering would I be better off getting a cat-back system or just replace the muffler to improve exterior appearance due to the non-performance nature of the 7th gen civics.

Well guys to clear things up i didnt say a muffler is same as an exhaust tip. As jason said in his first post, he jus wants to improve exterior appearance.. so yeah i suggested an exhaust tip. btw clem we have the same car! haha

clem
14-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Haha nice~ is your's black too? what mods have you done to it?

pipocai
14-09-2007, 01:03 PM
yeah man haha its balck with oem bodykit + sunroof. didnt change much only HID, exhaust tip (LOL), and sound system..not much on appearance all dumped into the sound setup

Zdster
14-09-2007, 03:19 PM
I apologise, you are correct. I think it is important to note though that you can have some sound/cosmetic change by just changing the muffler.