PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Tyre Wear

Mr_will
14-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Ok,

about 3000kms/5 months ago, I purchased 4 X 195/50/15 toyo T1R's from a well known wheel/tyre chain.

I have kept the pressure at the recommended rating every week.

Upon getting under my car today to remove my sump plug i noticed some strange wear patterns.

All 4 tyres are noticeably more worn on the outside than the inside.

The whole left side is worn more than the whole right side. (ie front left worse than front right, back left worse than back right)

Furthermore, the front left has a noticeable, but not particularly large bubble in it, and is significantly worn on the outer edge.

Upon going to the store today they gave me a free wheel alignment to check the settings and found that the toe on the front left was 1mm out. They are blaming this, and saying that I hit a pothole (causing the bubble) for the wear.

I am not satisfied by their answers and would like other peoples opinions on how to handle the situation

bennjamin
14-09-2007, 02:43 PM
those tyres are quite soft - a mate of mine has had irregular tyre wear after a short time (this is due to slight toe on on one side). IMO its the combination of soft tyres and slight toe giving it advanced wear properties.

IMO get different tyres next time. We get bridgestone RE001's for $115 per corner here and they are a superior tyre.

Mr_will
14-09-2007, 02:51 PM
thanks for the reply.

would it be fair to say then, that you dont reckon this tyre place should do anything more than the wheel alignment?

the only thing i was considering requesting was a discount when i come to replace the significantly worn tyre.

the $115 re001's - are these through a personal contact of yours or would anyone be able to get them at that price? im in newcastle but for a price like that itd be worth a trip to sydney i think

luxobarge
14-09-2007, 03:00 PM
"I have kept the pressure at the recommended rating every week."

What is the recommended pressure?

bennjamin
14-09-2007, 03:01 PM
i think the tyre place , after proving alignment settings has no more obligation to yourself. Besides , they resell the tyres and have no other info about them.
IMO they really have no idea of your funny tyre wear. The basic factors are there , but you might even had unevenly worn bushes etc that are contributing under dynamic wear.

PS give Bridgestone a call in CAMPSIE. Ask for JUSTIN , tell them ROCKY sent ya.

good luck and dont forget to rotate your tyres.

rikstar
14-09-2007, 03:48 PM
my advice to others out there is to make sure you get a printout of your wheel alignment before and after any major changes. it doesn't cost anything and should give you evidence should shit hit the fan.

twing
14-09-2007, 04:06 PM
I have kept the pressure at the recommended rating every week.

All 4 tyres are noticeably more worn on the outside than the inside.

If wearing outside more than inside, it means the tyre is under inflated.
The recommended pressure on the label (around the door) is for comfort driving. So up the pressure few psi. I always keep mine on 40 psi. It's a harsher ride, but better for the tyre and fuel economy.

Mr_will
14-09-2007, 10:28 PM
If wearing outside more than inside, it means the tyre is under inflated.
The recommended pressure on the label (around the door) is for comfort driving. So up the pressure few psi. I always keep mine on 40 psi. It's a harsher ride, but better for the tyre and fuel economy.

thanks for the suggestion, but youre wrong.

if they were underinflated they would wear more on BOTH outside edges, not just one.

T-onedc2
15-09-2007, 01:43 AM
The wear pattern you described in the first post tells me that you enjoy cornering and performing u-turns.

Mr_will
15-09-2007, 02:02 AM
i do occasionally examine the limits of the tyres adhesive capabilities...BUT the wear on the front left means that it will be lucky to last 10 000kms, which is less than i would expect, and even less than the guys at the shop i bought them from thought - they said 15-25k km depending on driving style

T-onedc2
15-09-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm not sure of the wear rating of the T1R but my old Yoko ES100 with a rating of 280 struggled to give me more than 15,000 km, in the early days they copped a hammering enough to get little blistered edges from heat yet they still wore evenly.
I'd expect the T1R to be softer with a lower wear rating right?

SeverAMV
17-09-2007, 01:10 PM
stick your car on some electronic four wheel scales and see where most of the weight is. if its on the left side, then you may need to overinflate it a little, either that or get a corner balance on aftermarket suspension to balance out the weight.

dsp26
17-09-2007, 07:07 PM
IMO get different tyres next time. We get bridgestone RE001's for $115 per corner here and they are a superior tyre.

as in ?
|
|
V

PS give Bridgestone a call in CAMPSIE. Ask for JUSTIN , tell them ROCKY sent ya.

bennjamin
17-09-2007, 07:45 PM
"here" = Sydney and this is a help out for Mr will. Anyone else can call up and ask.

Work out your issue yet Mr will ?

Mr_will
17-09-2007, 08:16 PM
"here" = Sydney and this is a help out for Mr will. Anyone else can call up and ask.

Work out your issue yet Mr will ?

sorta kinda maybe. that price on the re001's is exceptional and i definately plan on getting some, however the things im considering at the moment are:

in the short term (<5000kms) only 1 tyre needs replacing

if i was to drive to campsie id probly be wanting to buy 4 tyres to make the cost of fuel worthwhile, but i dont want to leave 3 tyres potentially sitting around for 12 months, im under the impression the rubber may begin to degrade (whilst im sure it wouldnt be completely dead though)

so im unsure atm as to what to do

krogoth
18-09-2007, 12:07 AM
tyres shood be fine if u store them in a dry, low humidity area, keep them covered and they can last for a long time

im gona take a stab, but in the right conditions, u can easily get away with storing a new set of tyres for at least 6months-1year without any loss, imo