PDA

View Full Version : removing oil filter

imminent_
30-07-2004, 02:46 PM
i'm trying to change my oil - 97 GSI, and i can't get the oil filter off.. its tucked up so high and impossible to get to. i've got one of those oil-filter removal things, but can't get enough leverage to get it off.

can you even do it yourself? or is it only possible by winching the car up? do people get it done at mechanics only?

Weq
30-07-2004, 02:53 PM
If u cant turn it, or grab it with a tool, u will have to puncture it with a screwdriver. Do this around the top of the filter, and get the screwdriver right through it. then turn it off witht he screwdriver handle. I had to do this on my first ever oil filter removeal, and it was a fun to say the least :-| Be careful when u do this though, as u will get an eye full of oil!

davey
31-07-2004, 09:06 PM
this sounds funny but it actually works

use a rubber dishwashing glove totake it off

wynode
31-07-2004, 11:09 PM
Yeah the getto way is what Weq said.......but remember there IS oil in there so it will drip on you.

Otherwise just get an oil filter wrench....makes things a LOT easier.

PS: Might want to take off your front passenger side wheel to make access easier (eh ben?!)

bennjamin
31-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Yeah the getto way is what Weq said.......but remember there IS oil in there so it will drip on you.

Otherwise just get an oil filter wrench....makes things a LOT easier.

PS: Might want to take off your front passenger side wheel to make access easier (eh ben?!)

...pfft.

Just take of ur inlet mani to access from top ;)

BTW....an easier and perhaps safer way - is to drive up onto a gutter - park ur left side upon the gutter- enabling yourself to comfortably access under the front - oilfiter and all. Just leave it in gear and handbrake up :)

imminent_
01-08-2004, 06:43 PM
thanks for the tips. i went to a friend who's also a mitsu mechanic, and he used a proper oil filter remover - not just a circle thing, it was more like a claw.. was still tough, but worked

freshly lubed and ready to go :P

davey
01-08-2004, 10:04 PM
no problems but if you wanted to get one of those claw removers i think i saw one of those at repco or super cheap