PDA

View Full Version : New forum for build threads

Muzz
15-09-2007, 06:40 PM
I’m wondering what everyone thinks of starting a new section solely for “build up” style threads.

For those who don’t know what a build thread is, it’s a diary of sorts, covering the modification path, you take with your car, as you modify it toward your goals.

Heres some examples of what im talking about, you’ll understand straight away when you have a look. There all awesome reads.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69706
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63427
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64558
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50669
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70675
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53825
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71567
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57632

Having a forum solely for Build up threads would encourage more people to start a long term thread for the pride and joy that they have big plans for. Where they can show off new parts, discuss there options, get others opinions and advice, show off there DIY’s, help others, the list goes on. Simply it’s the best way for members to see and discuss what other members out there are doing with there cars.

IMO build threads defiantly benefit the forums more than other types of threads, but they don’t really have a section yet. There spread out in the appearance gallery, and over the model specific forums, making them few and far between.

Another option would be to have a sticky for projects, at the top of each model specific forum, but a forum for them would be much nicer.

What do you guys think of the idea??

DreadAngel
15-09-2007, 06:48 PM
A problem is that then almost every member would post up their build which could soley consist of I/H/E, Sussy and Rims then call it a day. It should be subjected to approval so its actually worthwhile to read. Thats IF this goes ahead.

Muzz
15-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Yeh i totally agree, maby it could be done so that you need to wait a month (or X number of updates), or whatever, before you can submit your thread to be moved into the build thread section, to prevent the threads that dont provide.

Also there shouldnt be more than one thread per car.

Nikki
15-09-2007, 08:55 PM
people already have their own thread.. its so much more work for wyn to do when its not really necessary imo

bennjamin
15-09-2007, 11:38 PM
No , this has been discussed before.

reasons are -
Too little input for an actual separate forum.
Too much chance of even more spam and even more load on Mods.
We already have the appearance/gallery for this kind of threads...to SHOW OFF your build/rides :)

Muzz
16-09-2007, 09:19 AM
No , this has been discussed before.

reasons are -
Too little input for an actual separate forum.
Too much chance of even more spam and even more load on Mods.
We already have the appearance/gallery for this kind of threads...to SHOW OFF your build/rides :)

Cool:thumbsup: Just thought id throw the idea out there.

bennjamin
16-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Cool:thumbsup: Just thought id throw the idea out there.

Its only IMO but we have good reason.

Id love for more build threads on OH tho - it seems majority of users here have the usual muffler/CAI/recaro seat and copy JDM rims.

Dxs
16-09-2007, 05:44 PM
it is a good idea

Too little input for an actual separate forum. - There are many threads all over the place.. now they will just have a home
Too much chance of even more spam and even more load on Mods. - Threads are already there, spam is already in them.. comment is some what redundant
We already have the appearance/gallery for this kind of threads...to SHOW OFF your build/rides - Gallery is for pics.. not pics and tech discussion of wrenching
people already have their own thread.. its so much more work for wyn to do when its not really necessary imo - If people are gonna make a worklog, they are gonna make a worklog and just put it in the forum that they feel is appropriate. So there is no additional work as such

Just have a rule of that there must be real work done to the car.. not oil changes etc.. I doubt there will be more than 300 threads after say a year.. so there wont be much work.. will declutter other forums and make them more specific again.. will encourage people to write about their work too

philBo
16-09-2007, 06:58 PM
it is a good idea

Too little input for an actual separate forum. - There are many threads all over the place.. now they will just have a home
Too much chance of even more spam and even more load on Mods. - Threads are already there, spam is already in them.. comment is some what redundant
We already have the appearance/gallery for this kind of threads...to SHOW OFF your build/rides - Gallery is for pics.. not pics and tech discussion of wrenching
people already have their own thread.. its so much more work for wyn to do when its not really necessary imo - If people are gonna make a worklog, they are gonna make a worklog and just put it in the forum that they feel is appropriate. So there is no additional work as such

Just have a rule of that there must be real work done to the car.. not oil changes etc.. I doubt there will be more than 300 threads after say a year.. so there wont be much work.. will declutter other forums and make them more specific again.. will encourage people to write about their work too

good points raised. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

panda[cRx]
16-09-2007, 09:11 PM
i think it's a good idea to have their own forum. stickes will just clog up the relative model sections for ppl that have no interest in them.

the forum is always growing and in the last year or so we have seen the quality of alot of the cars vastly improve. i think a "builds" section will do nothing but encourage others to do bigger and better and would be a great thing for the aussie honda scene in general :)

we need stuff like this on ozhonda imo, not just "how much for a 30k service on my euro?" threads

Muzz
16-09-2007, 09:14 PM
^^^Well said, couldnt agree more!

krogoth
17-09-2007, 12:12 AM
dooooooooo itttttttt

and it doesnt have to be more work for mods

since muzz came up with the idea, he can be the mod for the new section

all wyn does is open up the "builds" section, let muzz be moderator, and muzz recieves build requests and decides if they are worthy of being publicly posted or not

simple

no extra work for any1 else

krogoth
17-09-2007, 12:13 AM
and i dont think stickies are a good idea

there will be too many threads that will need to be stickied

hinezz
19-09-2007, 01:09 PM
very gud idea actually :thumbsup:
especially for pple like me ;)
lol

Sexc86
20-09-2007, 05:12 PM
woooo!! look at all the brisbane cars!! represent :)

slipn
23-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Fantastic idea!

There are plenty of other Hondasites around the wrold and they all have a bulid thread.
Plus there are so many on Ozhonda now and its hard to keep up with them all. These build threads are some of the first things I look at on the site, and they are interesting to read. I used to buy magazines for the builds but all mags nowadays are so boring and I get all my tech info usually from this site.

So do it!

krogoth
24-09-2007, 03:40 PM
bumppp

any more thoughts?

wynode
24-09-2007, 11:12 PM
Are people not happy to have a sticky in the respective forums with a link to the individual build threads?

If we were to go ahead with a dedicated sub-forum we would need to have a way of screening the threads (ie making sure they are actually going to be build threads as opposed to just basic mods).

I'll bring it up with the other mods...

krogoth
25-09-2007, 02:07 AM
Are people not happy to have a sticky in the respective forums with a link to the individual build threads?

If we were to go ahead with a dedicated sub-forum we would need to have a way of screening the threads (ie making sure they are actually going to be build threads as opposed to just basic mods).

muzz can screen since its his idea

dooooooooo itttttttt

and it doesnt have to be more work for mods

since muzz came up with the idea, he can be the mod for the new section

all wyn does is open up the "builds" section, let muzz be moderator, and muzz recieves build requests and decides if they are worthy of being publicly posted or not

simple

no extra work for any1 else

PS, check ur pm box wynnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

weeman
25-09-2007, 02:40 PM
i think it would be a great idea, that way all the build up threads are all in the same spot and it is easy to find them,

id been looking for "honda-b-blastins" eg build thread for ages and have only just found it now from those couple that muzz has put together in this thread. i hope this goes ahead

panda[cRx]
25-09-2007, 06:07 PM

stickies just clutters the sections, and realistically why should they be stickied because not everyone wants to read them?

if we have a build section for the people interested it keeps them happy, the people that are not interested dont have to read it

wynode
27-09-2007, 10:53 PM
PS, check ur pm box wynnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Got 40 PMs to catchup....and to make things worse i'm away for the long weekend. Will try and have a look though.

;1362867']stickies just clutters the sections, and realistically why should they be stickied because not everyone wants to read them?

if we have a build section for the people interested it keeps them happy, the people that are not interested dont have to read it

Discussing it in the mods corner boss. IF you were a mod.....you could have had a say ;)

Sexc86
14-10-2007, 10:47 PM
is an awsome idea! i reccon make it happen :D

philBo
06-11-2007, 11:21 AM
whats happening with this?

bennjamin
06-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Mods have discussed ~ IF there is to be a "build" forum they will be read only which the thread starter can update themselves only.
Kinda like an article on their ride / setup etc.

Any members here wishing to create such threads about their ride / setup etc , please pm a moderator and we can talk more.

thanks

hinezz
06-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Interesting Idea
READ only!
Nice
so should I pm a mod saying I want one of those threads?

bennjamin
06-11-2007, 12:43 PM
the idea is we will give you a template to work with IE

car
aim
process
updates

etc

and you will fill out the info , and update with piccies when you want.

Ill bump it up in the mod corner and we will come up with something.

Dxs
07-11-2007, 12:49 PM
why read only?
just say if someone has a question about a mod etc..
why wont they be allowed to post a reply

bennjamin
07-11-2007, 01:02 PM
to make it a special part of the forum IE like an article. This also avoids the usual spam.
We have the normal technical forum if you want to make a thread about your ride , and allow replies.

panda[cRx]
07-11-2007, 04:01 PM
interesting with the read only idea. but yes this site needs a build section, build threads shouldn't be hidden between noob/common questions and spam

DreadAngel
07-11-2007, 04:25 PM
Read only is better, it lets the builder's thread flow on nicely instead of people butting in every so often between the build like Paul's build thread maybe has 10 post about his project, the rest is spent asking and replying to questions.

PM the builder if you want to know something would be better :)

EK4R
07-11-2007, 04:49 PM
i love this idea! do it! hehe

and read only is good too. keep it informative. i dont like reading updates on buildthreads and it ends up being a random replying saying something useless.

maybe have the thread authorized by a mod (similar to DIY threads) and then the thread is closed, and can be opened by the creater of the thread to add info later on.

philBo
08-11-2007, 07:05 AM
to make it a special part of the forum IE like an article. This also avoids the usual spam.
We have the normal technical forum if you want to make a thread about your ride , and allow replies.

id like to see the build threads with replies enabled. you only have to look at current build thread like dean's turbo dc2r, to see how good/constructive it can be. i'm sure those working on a build project would only be more than happy to discuss their work.

itd give everyone a chance to learn something new. :) :thumbsup::thumbsup:

DreadAngel
08-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Replies enabled make following the project all the more difficuilt, the big projects basically have to post up on their first post which page an update is on. Most of the replies are simply, "Wow?! Nice work mate, love... Keep up the good work man!" and the person would reply... Not something I'd want to sift through to get even a look at one update =|

bennjamin
08-11-2007, 06:49 PM

As above :)

ZeForce
08-11-2007, 08:11 PM
I have found replies in my build thread very advantageous, if the the OP was smart they would keep all updates to the first post making them easy to find

krogoth
08-11-2007, 08:17 PM
zomgus

ppl u can keep TWO threads

one with replies

and one is an article, for ppl who dont want to sift thru spam to keep up with builds

wynode
18-11-2007, 10:18 AM
zomgus

ppl u can keep TWO threads

one with replies

and one is an article, for ppl who dont want to sift thru spam to keep up with builds
Or just update the first post (for example with links to posts in the same thread where you've just had an update). :)

EDIT: FYI....just brought this up again in the mods corner......will get back to you all on this.

Paul1985
18-11-2007, 10:24 AM
id like to see the build threads with replies enabled. you only have to look at current build thread like dean's turbo dc2r, to see how good/constructive it can be. i'm sure those working on a build project would only be more than happy to discuss their work.

itd give everyone a chance to learn something new. :) :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I agree here...

but everyone is right about the sifting through spam being annoying at times.

Having comments when your doing a build motivates you alot. Its a good thing. Also if your after some assistance with something whilst posting updates you can ask the forum in that thread.

The best way is to have a comments page on the 1st page explaining what pages have what progress. Thats what i think anyway. I put one on mine.

I personally like to go through all the responses in build threads.

wynode
18-11-2007, 10:26 AM
The best way is to have a comments page on the 1st page explaining what pages have what progress. Thats what i think anyway. I put one on mine.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Got a link to your thread?

Paul1985
18-11-2007, 10:29 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45991

wynode
18-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Cheers for that.......that's what I was referring to!

EK4R
18-11-2007, 06:48 PM
or you could have just one thread per build and it is locked. only MOD and user may edit.

then have one big spam comment thread where ppl can post their replies in

Sexc86
26-11-2007, 09:20 PM
IMO it would be awsome if there were a "Build" section and normal threds about peoples builds just the same as they alwayes were ... comments and all. Better organised haveing them all in 1 section rather spred out everywhere. Surely it would have to be easier to moderate as they would be larger style threds and most mods would know what are in them before updates? rather then constantly looking at knew unknown threds?

And haveing a builds sections surely it would relieve some load off other sections as there wouldnt be as many topics?

Dont take out peoples replys as i agree with paul1985 that replys motivate you.... and give you knew ideas from users and help with any problems you might have.

Hope to see this happen soon :)

Paul1985
27-11-2007, 05:17 PM
Contents page FTW. cant go wrong with it IMO.

55EXX
10-03-2008, 09:55 PM
i'd love to have a proper build section thread on my car. i'd take photos of all the work i've done to her and give tips and pics on how to do those things and also say what i want to do and get tips on how to do things better. like if i had some where like my build thread i would have taken pics of how i replaced my shocks with pics and instructions not only showing how but things i learnt, tricks to make it easier alond the way. eg. how i found that jacking both front wheels made it alot easier to change my shocks cos the sway bar would otherwise hold my suspension in a difficult position whereas when both front wheels were jacked up i never had this problem due to it freely moving. that info would have saved me tons of messing around! info is great but having pictures and feedback from that person about how they did it realife, what made it easier etc and disscussing it with them is what is really gold.

i had a build thread with my old 55EXX ek on caraudioaustralia and most the time is what i went on there to check to see if i had replies. its the 'good stuff' 'like how you did xxxx' that make you feel good and then take more pics of your work and share more etc.

i'm am very surprised oz honda being so big now doesn't have one.

An41
10-03-2008, 11:01 PM
It would be a good idea to have a seperate build/project sub forum, but this should only apply for a proper overhaul of a car a good example is Paul1985 thread.

This is to stop little projects like, stereo,rims,lights,bodykit etc

wynode
11-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Looks like I've missed this altogether!

Just talking in the mods corner guys/girls....need to decide where to put this if wer're to trial it.

DreadAngel
11-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Technical I guess if its only for the serious builds...

fatboyz39
11-03-2008, 08:03 PM
good idea :)

omgzilla
11-03-2008, 08:17 PM
I unknowingly reposted this sort of idea just a few days ago, after I had a the same idea (has since been deleted)... didn't see this topic.

I love the idea personally. I really enjoy reading the updates but get annoyed when i subscribe to the topic and get alerts when its just someone replying to say 'nice work' etc.

Maybe big build threads could be stickied in the section and just let all other mild mods threads to fill the section as normal?

philBo
12-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Looks like I've missed this altogether!

Just talking in the mods corner guys/girls....need to decide where to put this if wer're to trial it.

onya wyn. this will be a great addition to the Ozhonda forums. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dxs
12-03-2008, 07:29 PM
crxaustralia pulls this idea off with no worries

bennjamin
13-03-2008, 09:31 AM
crxaustralia pulls this idea off with no worries

what build are you desperate to show off ?

This is the efforts of the mod team when we get the time , not you. So just sit and wait it will happen soon enough:thumbsup:

dc2dc2dc2
13-03-2008, 09:37 AM
why bother
just more jobs for mods
like i said in other thread
if u really love the build thread
subscribe to it.
simple.

dupac->
13-03-2008, 09:42 AM
;1350883']i think it's a good idea to have their own forum. stickes will just clog up the relative model sections for ppl that have no interest in them.

the forum is always growing and in the last year or so we have seen the quality of alot of the cars vastly improve. i think a "builds" section will do nothing but encourage others to do bigger and better and would be a great thing for the aussie honda scene in general :)

we need stuff like this on ozhonda imo, not just "how much for a 30k service on my euro?" threads
:thumbsup:

philBo
13-03-2008, 11:56 AM
why bother
just more jobs for mods
like i said in other thread
if u really love the build thread
subscribe to it.
simple.

how is it more job for the mods? as far as im concerned itd be the same as if you had a thread in the appearance/gallery section or what not. that said, the only additional bit of extra for wyn would be to set it up.

wynode
16-03-2008, 11:18 AM
All done. More info here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1585849#post1585849)!