PDA

View Full Version : steering shake under hard breaking - help

gxiang
15-09-2007, 07:08 PM
problem :

- under hard breaking my steering wheel would shake abit, and would have some kind of "thud thud" sound in a constant manner. it is not loud but easily noticable.

- high speed driving, the wheel shakes abit also, not much but abit. usually above 120km/hr

cause of problem :

i am not sure but i think it is because i once my car spun ount and my wheels were in full lock (left) and hit a footpath. chipped my rim etc.

what could it be ?

thanks

int3gra_r
15-09-2007, 07:13 PM
I believe that either your rims are off balance, or your shaft is screwed cos you've got a hit on it..
My advice, get the balancing checked first, cos its cheaper..

HondaTechy
15-09-2007, 07:15 PM
you need a disc machine sounds like you have brake shudder,and a wheel balance -because that r(the shudder) can happen after you hit the rim.

gxiang
15-09-2007, 07:15 PM
ah yes well when i was using a different set of rim/tyres at high speed it was fine. but i didnt go heard enough to test the braking balance.

currentl rims/semi's are balanced when fitted and had the problem every since...

maybe i should try a friends rims or something

gxiang
15-09-2007, 07:16 PM
you need a disc machine sounds like you have brake shudder,and a wheel balance -because that r(the shudder) can happen after you hit the rim.

yea thats what my friend said.

because my smashed rims didnt seem all that buckled, he said my rotors took most of the damage

preludacris
15-09-2007, 07:46 PM
u mite be imagining it also

on the cruise today, i was experiencing this to a slight degree, i think most of it was from the actual road, as it was not perfectly flat

rotors are old tho , prolly need a machining aswell

aimre
16-09-2007, 01:50 AM
If its only under braking. Id be like 90% sure ur discs r warped.

yourfather
16-09-2007, 02:27 AM
I believe that either your rims are off balance, or your shaft is screwed cos you've got a hit on it..
My advice, get the balancing checked first, cos its cheaper..

that is the worst ****ing advice I have ever heard

|N|
16-09-2007, 02:36 AM
problem :

cause of problem :

i am not sure but i think it is because i once my car spun ount and my wheels were in full lock (left) and hit a footpath. chipped my rim etc.

what could it be ?

thanks

may have knocked out ur alignment ... just get wheel alignment... should fix the problem...

and as for ur steering shakes under breaking... if ur disc is not wrapped... take ur rota to machine them...

this shall fix both ur problem?

4 wheel alignment around 70 bucks but u may only need 2 .. just the front.. so around 40 bucks?
machine is around 30-40 bucks...provided that if u knw how to take ur dics off...

so all up 70 bucks to fix ur problem

gxiang
16-09-2007, 04:14 AM
cheers will have a look into the problem further and possibily get a alignment asap.

where do you guys take your cars to alignment? honda dealers or any recommendations?

czy_sol87
16-09-2007, 03:09 PM
cheers will have a look into the problem further and possibily get a alignment asap.

where do you guys take your cars to alignment? honda dealers or any recommendations?

tyre fitting places....

also i agree with the above shudering or steering movement under brakeing would most likely be warped rotors

gxiang
16-09-2007, 05:35 PM
fitted some oem rims today with tyres and still having the problem so i guess its not my wheel/tyre combo thats causing the problem .

most of you's sugguest its my rotor, but how would that affect my steering wheel shaking at high speeds?

also what causes warped rotors?

gxiang
16-09-2007, 07:50 PM
could it also be from bent LCA etc ?

warp rotor should make my steering vibrate at high speeds would it? maybe something else?

czy_sol87
16-09-2007, 08:51 PM
when rotors are warped means that the disc brakes are not straight anymore, and when they are spinning a section of the rotor gets closer to the pad then the rest of the disc, this causes the steering wheel to shake,
so basicly when the disc is moving through the brake caliper a section of it isnt even and sort of slows down faster then back to normal, then faster again
hope u under stand that:p

warped rotors are cause by u over heating the disc, and not letting them cool properly, sometime can be caused if u heat up the brakes alot then just park the car, the rotor cools down but the bit in the caliper doesnt, ie gets warped

Dy_
16-09-2007, 09:57 PM
in addition to czy sols reply...heres a senario of how it can happen.

heated up disc then running through water or washing the car straight away after a good drive.

EK4R
16-09-2007, 10:34 PM
what about his other problem i would liek to know too. i get that sometimes when travelling at high speeds my wheel shakes abit.

czy_sol87
16-09-2007, 11:58 PM
^^maybe ur shocks or bushes are bout gone??

gxiang
17-09-2007, 01:09 AM
^^maybe ur shocks or bushes are bout gone??

how do i check? im not that great with cars.

cheers

oh i have coilovers btw.

gxiang
17-09-2007, 02:30 PM
ok i want to get my rotors checked out. do i take it to a mech and they will sort it out on their machine or how do i check it so i know which rotor is gone and take it off myself ?

do i need to do a alignment to find out or what? thanks

aaronng
17-09-2007, 02:47 PM
fitted some oem rims today with tyres and still having the problem so i guess its not my wheel/tyre combo thats causing the problem .

most of you's sugguest its my rotor, but how would that affect my steering wheel shaking at high speeds?

also what causes warped rotors?

Your wheel alignment is out. Get that fixed. That and machine your rotors.

aaronng
17-09-2007, 02:57 PM
ok i want to get my rotors checked out. do i take it to a mech and they will sort it out on their machine or how do i check it so i know which rotor is gone and take it off myself ?

do i need to do a alignment to find out or what? thanks

The alignment is a separate issue. Because you hit your wheel on a kerb, you should get a wheel alignment anyway. For your shuddering problem, bring your car to a brake place so they can test for warpage.

panda[cRx]
17-09-2007, 03:37 PM
as most people have said with the brake shudder, it will need machining.

what about his other problem i would liek to know too. i get that sometimes when travelling at high speeds my wheel shakes abit.

it most likely needs a wheel balance. that is the first point to get addressed, if that doesnt work he can look at other avenues. you may as well get an alignment + balance done together

SHIFTY
17-09-2007, 10:08 PM
problem :

- under hard breaking my steering wheel would shake abit, and would have some kind of "thud thud" sound in a constant manner. it is not loud but easily noticable.

- high speed driving, the wheel shakes abit also, not much but abit. usually above 120km/hr

cause of problem :

what could it be ?

thanks

Hey mate, this sounds very similar 2 having warped disk which are the cause of brake shudder which have very similar symptoms as stated above...

to test this u can measure ur disks in 4 different spots around the disk 2 see if it is equally warn...

but this also seems 2 sound like the affect of ABS (i dont know if ur car is equipped with ABS) but if it is, this could be what this shuddering/shacking and that faint noise is....
basically the ABS system is locking and then unlocking the brakes very quickly preventing them from locking up... - i experience going down the straight at wakefield at 150km/h and putting the anchors on after the kink...

hope this information has helped :)

gxiang
17-09-2007, 11:11 PM
thx shifty! ++

yes my car is ek4 does have abs. so maybe it is also abs ? ok well i have it checked out. i have always had abs but never this bad if it is really the abs.

how do i go about measuring the rotors ? what do you use?

JDM_VTIR
18-09-2007, 10:36 AM
you're probally suffering from brake shudder. this is normally caused by DTV (Disc Thickness Variation). this could be a result of poof fitment of discs or un even wear in the calliper or piston.

SHIFTY
18-09-2007, 07:07 PM
i use a micrometer (although being a mechanic i have access to all the correct tools)

im sure u can get ur hands on a micrometer through any good tool shop... it is always a good tool 2 have..

remember 2 get a workshop manual for ur car 2 so u can find out the specific measurements that u should replace the disks, pads and for much more useful information :)

Remember +PQ points :p

preludacris
21-09-2007, 01:20 AM
just get it machined! its like 15 bux a rotor, and its most likely thats ur prob as most ppl in this thread have mentioned.

gxiang
27-09-2007, 12:16 AM
just a quick before i take it to the mech on saturday.

is there a chance my disc is bent rather than warped ?? is there a difference? obviously they have to flatten the disc rather then machine it ?

is that costly?

aaronng
27-09-2007, 07:34 AM
Disc warp = slightly bent/wavy disc. :)