PDA

View Full Version : Underbody damage.

^__^ SM ^__^
15-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Hello again,

I was in a hurry last night and came up the carpark ramp too fast. When I came to the top of the ramp where the ground flattens out (the ramp was quite steep (~30 degrees), the car made a loud noise like when going over one of those sharp speed bumps.

What do you think made that noise?

Could the bottom of the car hit the ground?

If it did, what vital structures should I be looking at to make sure it's safe to drive?

Thanks.

euro77
15-09-2007, 08:21 PM
check your exhaust pipe, flex pipe, and cat are still intact.

yfin
15-09-2007, 08:22 PM
probably just scraped the tow point at the front - everyone does it at some point. Just take a look under the car and look for scrape marks.

^__^ SM ^__^
15-09-2007, 08:50 PM
If the exhaust components are damaged, can I hear it? Would the engine sound change?

shadou
15-09-2007, 10:22 PM
it'll probably be alright, don't think that small amount of force is gonna affect your exhaust operations at all.

EuroAccord13
15-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Reading from your description, if you scrapped entering the next level, You most likely hit the cat con or the exhaust pipes further down, that is if you are halfway between the ramp and the flat ground, I don't think it's any part in front of your front wheels or behind your rear wheels....

If you did indeed puncture the exhaust, you will hear the exhaust growl in a throaty fashion.

There is also the possibility of you hitting the chassis IF you were at an angle, if you are not travelling up really fast at all, it will unlikely cause damage to the chassis except for a few scrapes.

Is your car lowered?

aaronng
15-09-2007, 11:47 PM
I don't think you'll hit the cat/header or exhaust. The subframe will take the brunt of the scrape. Just look at the underside of my car :) Also had to use some spraypaint to prevent rusting of the scrapes.

EuroAccord13
16-09-2007, 03:05 AM
The exhaust system sits slightly lower than the chassis of the car, the resonator being the lowest bit, if he is driving at an angle, yes most likely it will be the frame but if he is going in almost straight, the exhaust will most likely take the hit as well...

|N|
16-09-2007, 03:10 AM
nothing to worry ... it happens to me daily... car being too low.. for me.. i know its my cat... but gonna change mine soon anyway .. so i m not fuss

^__^ SM ^__^
16-09-2007, 08:43 AM
thanks everyone for all the replies.

I was going straight and car not lowered.

I don't think exhaust noise has changed. just to clarify, resonator is the shiny honda labelled cyclinder just in front of the rear wheel right? and CAT is the steel braided thing, or the one with the shield under it? subframe is what they put the hoist arms on at the workshop?

im noob so sorry :( also i'm using pda so sorry for bad punctuation

ps. if it's exhaust damage I hope hondata release 06 auto package soon :)

sodaz
16-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Don't worry mate. I've scraped my car quite a few time and when my car was hoisted I had a look and no real damage was done. Our cars are stronger than we think. Unless your car sounds very different, you definitely won't have to replace your exhaust. Nothing to worry about at all.

The resonator is a like a can towards the back for the car. The shielded thing is the cat and the braided section is the flex pipe for the headers.

aaronng
16-09-2007, 01:02 PM
The cat is inside the shield. The braided part is the flexpipe.

The exhaust system sits slightly lower than the chassis of the car, the resonator being the lowest bit, if he is driving at an angle, yes most likely it will be the frame but if he is going in almost straight, the exhaust will most likely take the hit as well...

The angle of the ramp would mean that the first part to be hit when the front wheel reaches the top would be just behind the front wheels, unless he was doing about 30-40km/h up the ramp and launched his car.

mr747
16-09-2007, 01:22 PM
you will be fine i have bottomed out plenty of times

^__^ SM ^__^
16-09-2007, 03:26 PM
The angle of the ramp would mean that the first part to be hit when the front wheel reaches the top would be just behind the front wheels, unless he was doing about 30-40km/h up the ramp and launched his car.

So in your opinion, the most likely part to get hit is the chassis as the flex pipe and cat is more towards the front and protected by the front wheels?

aaronng
16-09-2007, 06:25 PM
So in your opinion, the most likely part to get hit is the chassis as the flex pipe and cat is more towards the front and protected by the front wheels?

The flex pipe and cat are still higher than the subframe. So you'll hit the subframe first.

EuroAccord13
16-09-2007, 06:51 PM
You'll prolly hit the cat shield as well...

aaronng
16-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Put your car on jackstands, crawl underneath and look for yourself. :)

^__^ SM ^__^
16-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Good idea :) It's raining out there now :( But thanks everyone for the help and info of what to look for.