PDA

View Full Version : FN2, new sound system help

1996ek1
16-09-2007, 02:51 PM
Hey guys, dunno if this is right place to post but

Planning on getting new system in FN2, all Alpine type R audio and just wanted some help

x2 15" subs ( recon they will fit in okay ? ) and should i get 1 amp per sub ? ( each sub is 700 watt RMS )
x4 new speakers, to replace stock ones
x2 new tweeters

And how much do yous think installation would cost, roughly?
And will this require a new headunit?

Thanks

Chris_typer
16-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Um yeh 2x 15's would prob fit might be better off going two 12's instead..yeh one amp per sub and then get another for the speakers...would prob cost you around 4k to 5k..

1996ek1
16-09-2007, 03:12 PM
Um yeh 2x 15's would prob fit might be better off going two 12's instead..yeh one amp per sub and then get another for the speakers...would prob cost you around 4k to 5k..

yea i thought i needed another amp for the speakers. I would rather 12's, but can get the 15's for cheap, so ends up being better. Do you know how much installation would be roughly? Am i looking at like $350+ ? And i dont need a headunit do i ?

sitta
16-09-2007, 04:41 PM
u will need a high to low signal converter to run the amp off the stock head unit looks like you got a big budget there, i would do two 10' than two 15' two 10' is good and you get better bass response to keep up with tecno for example. You dont really need a good speaker for the rear since you are sitting at the front, just get a decent one so that at least your passengers hear something lol, i dont care about my passengers so i just changed my front speakers

1996ek1
16-09-2007, 05:06 PM
u will need a high to low signal converter to run the amp off the stock head unit looks like you got a big budget there, i would do two 10' than two 15' two 10' is good and you get better bass response to keep up with tecno for example. You dont really need a good speaker for the rear since you are sitting at the front, just get a decent one so that at least your passengers hear something lol, i dont care about my passengers so i just changed my front speakers

Apparently i have the 'bigger is better' outlook. + Might as well get all new speakers, for back too, because then i can put all the CTR speakers in my EK1

Chris_typer
16-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Yeah thats true aswell...installation will cost prob yeah 350 or something thats what it cost me..I havent replaced my speakers yet though didn't have enough money to spend. In a few months I'll do them and put another amp in...

JaCe
16-09-2007, 05:19 PM
If u have a big budget and care alot about tuning and so on, you could always try that Rockford Fosgate 360 system which is designed for hooking into a stock HU and allows you to tune your audio with a bluetooth equipped palm. I don't know much else about it as it was beyond my budget (and I didn't see it as something worthwhile for my setup- i.e. I used Alpine lineout converters instead) but if you're interested, the folks at Lifestyle sell it.

Chris_typer
16-09-2007, 07:05 PM
Yeah i've seen that...I've actually got a Rockford Fosgate 12" P3 sub and mono amp...sounds great and I got it installed from LifeStyle which did a really neat job..I posted pictures in this forum not to long ago.. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72456

1996ek1
16-09-2007, 07:16 PM
[QUOTE=JaCe;1350585] I used Alpine lineout converters insteadQUOTE]

Yea what is a lineut converter?
And whats a high to low signal converter?

I don't get alot of this audio stuff...

Chris_typer
16-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Its for your stock headunit in order for it to work with the sub and amp..they should supply it automatically (at a cost of course) from where ever you go to install your system. There about 60 bucks or something like that.

JaCe
17-09-2007, 03:42 AM
Don't cheap out on the line-out converter (it basically turns speaker wire into RCAs which is needed to connect to an amp.. unless the amp supports speaker level inputs). Getting a cheap piece of crap here will ultimately create the bottleneck (or 'binding constraint' for those who study management accounting) which will limit everything else in the future.

ps. lifestyle did a nice job on your install chris_typer... for $1.1k for everything including the install- that's pretty tidy. from what i could see in the first photo, it looked like they made a custom mount/mould to make it sit flush with the car and look stock? did you request that or did they just do it cos they're nice? lol..

Chris_typer
17-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Yeah as I said in the other thread..i asked for it too be made and they basically did it for me..its quite cheap for what they did and it neat without sacrificing half my boot..looks like the sub and amp came with the car lol

denot
18-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Yeah as I said in the other thread..i asked for it too be made and they basically did it for me..its quite cheap for what they did and it neat without sacrificing half my boot..looks like the sub and amp came with the car lol

hi chris, may i aksed how much does the custom installation cost for you? Coz I got some amp + sub to install on my FD2, but dont want to either buy the cheap box from strathfield nor to make a "too much" custom kit thingy. Yours looks nice and cool :thumbsup:

Chris_typer
18-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Well I bought all my audio equipment from LifeStyle store and got them to install..all up cost $1250, so its pretty cheap considering.

denot
18-09-2007, 12:26 PM
not bad... thanks for the info ^_^

1996ek1
18-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Ended up with x2 JBL 12", monoblock amp & box with perspex section. Perhaps speakers soon, if stock not good enough.

http://www.harmanaudio.com/images/products/GTO1202D.jpg

Getting installed on thursday / friday. Ill post some pic's after

Chris_typer
18-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Yeah man they should do for now...mine sounds pretty good with stock speakers. Maybe when I get more money I might buy another amp and upgrade some of the speakers to make it sound like perfect but yeh for now its sound good enough..im sure u'll be happy with it. I posted another thread to see if anyone knows what specs the speaker are in the FN2..hopefully someone knows could I would like to find out..

1996ek1
19-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Yea, im interested in knowing what speakers too :thumbsup:
Yea this was my friends system, he had for month and half, and it wouldn't fit in his car, so he lent it to another friend for a 2 weeks, so their practically brand new, and CHEAP. He gave me box (which he payed $400) + x2 subs (forget what he payed, think it was $500 but he got for cheap) all for $370.

denot
19-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Yea, im interested in knowing what speakers too :thumbsup:
Yea this was my friends system, he had for month and half, and it wouldn't fit in his car, so he lent it to another friend for a 2 weeks, so their practically brand new, and CHEAP. He gave me box (which he payed $400) + x2 subs (forget what he payed, think it was $500 but he got for cheap) all for $370.

Wow you're so lucky :thumbsup:

1996ek1
19-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Wow you're so lucky :thumbsup:

yea, they sound NICE too