PDA

View Full Version : Air filter

millzy_88
16-09-2007, 03:02 PM
I imagine that this has probably been brought up before but the search thing aint finding anything. But i just put a new 3a racing air filter on my eg civic and when i started it up it started to blow whitish smoke at idle. Now ive heard that a blocked air filter can cause smoke but if its brand new this would mean that i cant use this filter right? It must be filtering too much. Any help would ne appreciated.

shadou
16-09-2007, 03:03 PM
probably just an initial thing, you reset the ecu afterwards right?

millzy_88
16-09-2007, 04:46 PM
No, i didnt know you had to, how do you reset the ecu. Its also weird cos i have put the old one back on and its still doing it.

Alpine
16-09-2007, 04:58 PM
You can reset the ecu by either disconnecting the negative terminal of your car battery for a while, or pull out your ecu fuse.

dundas
16-09-2007, 05:58 PM
did u unplus sumthing you sshouldn't have..
could be coincidence..

millzy_88
16-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Cheers for the help with my problem guys. Looks like it was an initial thing cos when i reset the ecu and let it idle for ten minutes and then drove it around for a good half an hour it seemed to stop. Still not perfect as exhaust smells very petroly but i think that will change too.

aaronng
16-09-2007, 09:57 PM
More air is going in, so the ECU thinks that your engine is lean, so it pumps in more petrol to be safe. Give it a while and it should adjust and optimise the A/F ratio.

You sure your O2 sensor is still ok?