PDA

View Full Version : My turbo kit choice :)

hondavti25
17-09-2007, 08:38 AM
Hey guys,
Alot of you have helped me out and i am pritty sure ive made my mind up and have the money! Kit will be as follows-

Greddy 15g EG turbo kit 1950 shipped to my door i belive.
Ebay cooler 400
RC550 CC injectors to suit
OBD2 to OBD1 conversion harness
Greddy turbo timer
Greddy Boostcontroller

Hoping to make 110-120 kws at the wheels on 7-9 pound on my ej8. So what well all think? any problems i may run into? Yes i know the kits for eg but after research ive found it will fit just fine only thing is ite OBD conversion.

Thanks guys

hinezz
17-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Greddy Turbo Kit comes with e-manage i assume?
Ebay cooler only or cooler & piping?
How abt Fuel Pump & Fuel Pressure regulator? comes with the kit as well?

hondavti25
17-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Woops yeah the ebay cooler with piping and i forgot ill just get the walbro fuel pump from jdmyared

EK1.6LCIV
17-09-2007, 09:57 AM
This is goin to be awesome, you must show us the setup when it's finished.

hondavti25
17-09-2007, 10:28 AM
yeah man it will be awesome even if its not a huge set up just that lil extra power will be awesome! if i can get away with it i wont worry about injectors for another couple weeks after the kits installed so i can save a lil Greddy kits are made to run with or with out them so ive been told

JasonGilholme
17-09-2007, 10:30 AM
get your injectors before you tune it other wise you'll need to pay for tuning twice.

hondavti25
17-09-2007, 10:35 AM
yeah mate will do :) stage 1 just bolt the kit on with cooler drive around for a couple weeks on low boost stage 2 full fuel upgrade and clutch

JasonGilholme
17-09-2007, 10:53 AM
when are you tuning it??

Good chance of damage even in stage 1.

EZZY
17-09-2007, 01:19 PM
got a good turner?

brakes? yes, you need to be able to stop properly.

sssturbo
17-09-2007, 02:36 PM
just do it all at once if you can dude, you dont want it to be running heaps lean. what petrol are you going to use in it?/ 98??

hondavti25
17-09-2007, 03:06 PM
yeah the car is always running 98 ultimate hmm if i should be getting injectors first maybe i should just go with the ek kit which comes with them

JasonGilholme
17-09-2007, 03:12 PM
have you sorted out a tuner yet?? and when its gonna get tuned??

hondavti25
17-09-2007, 03:19 PM
tuner hmmm acctually have put alot of thought into it.. i am thinking about dave if he was in town at the time? but if not probably apc any one got a suggestion for a emange tuner?

JasonGilholme
17-09-2007, 03:30 PM
the best way to do it is pick your tuner and then buy the tool that they suggest/can tune best.

otherwise you'll have a poor tune and then a slow/unreliable car.

defect
17-09-2007, 04:47 PM
i recommend you do everything at once
dont drive a untuned car, its very silly putting all that money into your car and not tuning it.

Aza
17-09-2007, 08:06 PM
hey dude, yeah hurry up and get it and we can put it in. as for tuners, james at hondatech sometimes also visits brisbane might like to check that out. so for hondata its really only james or dave, if u are going complete greddy kit at first i dont see why u couldnt use the e management, considering it is tuned for the exact setup, its just when u start changing parts the tune changes and thats when u have to look into other choices.

hondavti25
17-09-2007, 09:30 PM
yeah thats what i plan on doing it claims its safe to use for an other wise stock engine so ill just run the greddy kit with a cooler on its stock boost then go for hondata and other upgrades

hondavti25
17-09-2007, 09:45 PM
hey guys, what would you guys do ? eg kit that doesnt come with injectors but will be cheaper to buy RC550CC injectors then pay the extra 1000 bucks for the ek kit so with the money saved i can get a cooler aswell ? so option one
eg kit plus injectors plus intercooler for 3k
two
ek kit and cooler for 3500ish ?

EZZY
17-09-2007, 10:21 PM
hey guys, what would you guys do ? eg kit that doesnt come with injectors but will be cheaper to buy RC550CC injectors then pay the extra 1000 bucks for the ek kit so with the money saved i can get a cooler aswell ? so option one
eg kit plus injectors plus intercooler for 3k
two
ek kit and cooler for 3500ish ?

another option:

- cost of the kit & a new engine?

hondavti25
17-09-2007, 10:24 PM
what about a new engine?

1996ek1
17-09-2007, 10:28 PM
what about a new engine?

Get rid of that D, and get a B :p

Thats what i plan on doing.

I thought about turbo's, and all that, and then decided, after lots of reading, im better to go for B series, then turbo it later if i want, because apparently boosted D's will only run same 1/4 mile as a stock B.

hondavti25
17-09-2007, 10:30 PM
its still an option i spose but its something different boosted hondas are hot. But if i can find a B for cheaper then what this kit will end up to be then i might do it but my plan is to have a NA B project car one day so i aint to fused

1996ek1
17-09-2007, 10:33 PM
Yea turbo'ing a honda is cool, but i thought it would be a waist of my money to turbo my D, then swap to a B later. So i decided , i would go the B for now, even though it probably wont be as fun...

EZZY
17-09-2007, 10:35 PM
what about a new engine?

you may need a "new" engine with the way you are mixing and matching a turbo kit trying to save a few hundred bucks and not even sure who and when to get the thing tuned....

Sexc86
17-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Get rid of that D, and get a B :p
apparently boosted D's will only run same 1/4 mile as a stock B.

appreciate your opinion but that statment is too general to be accurate it can be either way very easily B > Dt or DT> B.

good luck with it chris. Keep your research up mate dont jump into anything without some basic knowledge of what you are doing

Regards Lyle

hondavti25
17-09-2007, 11:01 PM
yeah wise words from lyle as per usual. EZZY i wont be doing anything half assed but if i can acctually save money here and there by simply getting a eg kit and buying BETTER injectors which is the only differance in the kit other then the turbo type not size.

1996ek1
17-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Well it depends, what his goal is. If Hondavti25 is just after turbo'ing his D, or acctually has a power goal. If you have a power goal, your going to have to put alot more into the D to get the results compared to the B....

Although i like your EG Lyle, i don't have that kind of money to put into my D :p

hondavti25
17-09-2007, 11:09 PM
yeah well once i have reaseached it completly and done all my finances and shit ill make the final plunge who knows i might and up with a B all depends on my next 2 or 3 weeks but theres no doubt ill be asking you all a heap of questions and letting you know how i go.

Sexc86
18-09-2007, 06:24 AM
Well it depends, what his goal is. If Hondavti25 is just after turbo'ing his D, or acctually has a power goal. If you have a power goal, your going to have to put alot more into the D to get the results compared to the B....

Although i like your EG Lyle, i don't have that kind of money to put into my D :p

by all means im not trying to compare my setup to a stock B. just saying that comparing a turboD to a B isnt just like compareing engine A to Engine B. Would all Depend on what D the user had a the setup they were chooseing to run. Obviously a D13 or D15 running a small crap turbo with average management & lowish boost is going to perform differently to a D16y1/y8/zc with a decent turbo (gt28r) or similar with a good amount of boost and good tune.

anyway dont want any fights, just my 2c :)

JasonGilholme
18-09-2007, 08:06 AM
i think the EK kit might be safer.

cause the cooler, piping and injecters are all matched to the emanage so it should be plug and play until you get a better ECU.

If you get the EG kit then buy your own cooler and injectors the tune on the emanage might not suit the gear (cooler could be inneficient or injecters might not flow correctly etc)

hondavti25
18-09-2007, 08:59 AM
yeah no greddy kit comes with a cooler though for my car at least but the ek kit comes with a 15t turbo and injectors (from what i been told is a better turbo)

Aza
18-09-2007, 08:59 AM
haha funnny turbo d same times as a stock b.....

its more a basic turbo d setup is the same as a modded b.

ek4-guy
18-09-2007, 09:07 AM
You tell em aza 108kw from ur basic turbo D and 108kw from I/H/E B

i'm suprised fishman hasnt made an apperance yet this being a thread about turbo D-Series and all

Aza
18-09-2007, 09:07 AM
you may need a "new" engine with the way you are mixing and matching a turbo kit trying to save a few hundred bucks and not even sure who and when to get the thing tuned....

mixing and matching the turbo kit? who gives a fock. my kit has parts from everywhere that i put together myself, so is alot of the turbo d's in the world. as long as its tuned who cares how much u mix up a kit. the only thing what ur saying applies to is if he uses the emanagement, he cant mix the kit. and honestly who cares if he hasnt got a tuner yet its not like the car is sitting there waiting to be tuned, theres no rush better off doing research about tuners then just going with what everyone else thinks. My vote is for james from hondatech if u can get him.

Aza
18-09-2007, 09:14 AM
You tell em aza 108kw from ur basic turbo D and 108kw from I/H/E B

i'm suprised fishman hasnt made an apperance yet this being a thread about turbo D-Series and all

only difference with our cars is for me to get more power then what i made on "6psi" i say that loosely becuase my tuner said it was 6 on the dyno but the boost guage only read it to 4 and now that i have a boost controller with a boost guage built in i know the boost guage was reading right.... so i believe it was 108 on 4psi.... but as i was saying all i have to do is turn up my boost be ALOT harder for u to make more power from an NA b.

ek4-guy
18-09-2007, 09:16 AM
true i'd have to get a tune for my car to get any better but even then it wouldnt be better by mutch

hondavti25
18-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Yeah i would love to get james he really knows his shit. But his not a fan of emanage aye i dono if he will do it

Aza
18-09-2007, 09:24 AM
haha u dont tune ur emanagement. if u change the kit u will need a better ecu end of story. james could tune a hondata s100 for u.

hondavti25
18-09-2007, 09:30 AM
haha thats what i was supprised about i didnt think you ment james to do the emange soz was not when i can afford hondata and james lol then it will be done

EZZY
18-09-2007, 10:14 AM
mixing and matching the turbo kit? who gives a fock.
as long as a proper research is done, then its all good. mixing and matching turbo kits have its own ad & dis-advantages.
here is a quick list:
- turbo size vs. extractor diameter (& style of diameter)
- turbo size vs. engine size
- turbine blades vs. turbo housing vs. engine size
- turbo size vs. cooler size/piping diameter
- turbo size vs. compression ratio vs. boost level
- piping route
- turbo size vs. injector size vs. max duty cycle
- ecu management vs. turbo kit
- intake & BOV style/location etc.
- a good reputable turner vs. turbo kit/ecu

all these variables will result a decent setup or a setup that will last you a few weeks of sprinted driving.

my kit has parts from everywhere that i put together myself, so is alot of the turbo d's in the world. as long as its tuned who cares how much u mix up a kit.
thats nice to know. good luck.
hope its all tuned properly.

the only thing what ur saying applies to is if he uses the emanagement, he cant mix the kit.
yes you can, but it take more than just an off-the-shelt ecu managemnet to go with a mixed and matched turbo kit.
it can be done, and i have done it before with microtech.

and honestly who cares if he hasnt got a tuner yet its not like the car is sitting there waiting to be tuned, theres no rush better off doing research about tuners then just going with what everyone else thinks.

a good/reptuable turner is one of the most important thing when you are turboing a N/A engine from the factory.
most people would search for a good turner (local area preferrably) and what he/she is able to tune before settle with a make/model ecu.

JasonGilholme
18-09-2007, 10:28 AM
aza said that he can't mix and match the kit if he wants to use the emanage.

If he changes the kit significantly he'll need to go with something else (motec, microtec, hondata etc)

hondavti25
18-09-2007, 10:36 AM
and azas car is fairly well built and hondata powered with a dave tune so i think his got his shit down to :) i dono what your trying to prove ezzy to be honest.... Greddy kit with a cooler and eventually tuned on hondata with a dave or james tune wouldnt be to bad ? And the Greddy kit is built for the car so there wouldnt be much mix and match other then the obvious cooler and fuel pump etc ?

tekung89
18-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Ezzy forgot one more thing

ME vs. YOU lol . good luck with the turbo build ay, u'll love boost

ek4-guy
18-09-2007, 10:43 AM
if aza is tuned by dave why is he recomending james hmmm

hondavti25
18-09-2007, 10:51 AM
becuase james knows his shit and is a good tuner and dave is really hard to get on to some times because of his busy schedule so ive been told

Aza
18-09-2007, 10:55 AM
ha an interesting question indeed, but james is even harder to get in brisbane as he doesnt travel up to much

hondavti25
18-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Yeah i realise.I asked james about it ages ago and he said just use APC they been well trained with the hondata now

Aza
18-09-2007, 11:30 AM
yea they are only thing is no one really knows about apc, noone has given them a go. who knows they could be the best hondata tuner in the country :p

hondavti25
18-09-2007, 11:47 AM
hahah yeah exactly i might just give them ago with the hondata thing if i do go down this D turbo rd,

Sexc86
18-09-2007, 07:09 PM
The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental

xenonkuraz
19-09-2007, 12:31 AM
The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental

Ahahahahahahah

Won't get over that one!!!!!!!

hondavti25
19-09-2007, 10:02 AM
hahaha nice lyle,

I am going with the ek kit know coz the guy did my a deal 2600 delivered so all i need is a cooler and piping and i am done! WOOOHOOO

aimre
19-09-2007, 10:59 AM
hahaha nice lyle,

I am going with the ek kit know coz the guy did my a deal 2600 delivered so all i need is a cooler and piping and i am done! WOOOHOOO

got link?

hondavti25
19-09-2007, 12:58 PM
for the seller doesnt have the kit ob ebay his ordering for me and the FMIC is an Aussie ebay one in brisbane

1996ek1
19-09-2007, 11:59 PM
for the seller doesnt have the kit ob ebay his ordering for me and the FMIC is an Aussie ebay one in brisbane

Now please get your car a nice CTR grill to match that nice turbo kit:thumbsup:! I really hate them standard grills....

hondavti25
20-09-2007, 11:20 AM
already have one mate :)

1996ek1
20-09-2007, 01:18 PM
already have one mate :)

Oh cool:thumbsup: cos your pic didnt:p

hondavti25
20-09-2007, 03:33 PM
thats the first day i got the car:P ill go take a pic for ya'll :P

1996ek1
20-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Lol excellent! :thumbsup:

integrity
21-09-2007, 07:42 AM
hey, theres a few things you might have forgot about.

Fuel pressure reg
Fuel pump
Piggy back or standalone ECU
Boost gauge

You will need these guys abvove to help you run a more stable setup.

Fuel pressure reg and fuel pump: In order to help you properly put your 550CC injectors to use, you will need to upgrade the pump and reg to allow more wider band tuning for your fuel system and this will help to cater boost to the turbo without running lean.

Piggyback or standalone ECU: you will definitely need once or the other when it comes to ECU, i do hear rumours where it is ok to run 7psi or so without a piggy back, but do not risk it.
its better to go out and buy a vafc and be able to have a mild tuning on your car rather then nothing at all cause the settings on your ecu are mapped for N/A SOHC cyclone vtec setup, not for forced induction on top.

Boost gauge: a little accesory but you will need it to see how your boost is running, especially if you were *(which your not) running a bleed tap type controller.

This will be a nice project for you and will run fairly well considering you have pieced together a kit yourself and have most of the required goodies for it.

110-120kwatw shoudlnt be difficult providing you do it right the first time.

see what your actuator is set at (7psi?) and dont force more if your not going to run a ecu, if you do expect to upgrade your head gasket, and whole bottom end if the car bites more then it can chew.

good louck with it all though!!!

hondavti25
21-09-2007, 07:51 PM
hey dude Greddy kits come with piggy back an i am gettin a walbro fuel pump and sardo fuel reg

NeRV
21-09-2007, 08:11 PM
why do you need a fuel reg? oem is just fine unless your running high boost

SLOWEGG
21-09-2007, 09:00 PM
For a stock motor all you will need is fuel pump and injectors. Leave the fuel reg stock.

hondavti25
21-09-2007, 09:46 PM
kk yeah i was just recomended to get one and 60 POV i saw your car at pinelands i think last night man nice ride i am real jealous

Lukezen27
24-09-2007, 03:51 PM
You don't need a fuel pump ether

OEM on the D16Y1 rated to something like 250HP

Not sure about your car through

gReY-oNe
24-09-2007, 03:56 PM
seriously fuel pumps and fuel regs dont cost that much

get it for peice of mind

Lukezen27
24-09-2007, 04:03 PM
seriously fuel pumps and fuel regs dont cost that much