PDA

View Full Version : burning plasticy smell

kazam
17-09-2007, 07:30 PM
hay all, im getting this burning plasticy smell from my car, i think it might be lack of oil? or maybe its the brake pads wearing out.... at first i thought it was the interior neons but today i drove with them off and still the smell was at large, i've narrowed it down to definently an exterior smell... help please :)

Kiki
17-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Have you checked your oil?? check its colour!!

Also there could be somthing stuck to ur exhaust melting which give s a bad smell...

and do u drive ur car often or not much???? Not driving it can let off bad smells aswell

SiReal
17-09-2007, 07:36 PM
well, i had that as well. What you do, go have a look under your car and look at the exhaust system

turns out for me - a plastic shopping bag latched onto my piping and that melted. chain reaction was that the whole plastic bag went onto my pipe - had the smell for around 2 weeks then it was gone.

heres what my battle scar looked like - see the flaky crap near the rubber hanger:

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/3377/miniimg5814uq2.jpg

kazam
17-09-2007, 07:40 PM
nah i drive it queit regularly (basically evry day), im gunna check under it for sh!t caught on, and will also check all, its a bit hot now coz i just got home but will check oil etc soon. oh and wen u say check its colour, wat colour should it be?

kazam
17-09-2007, 08:04 PM
k guys, looked under the car, i have the same flakey crap that sireal had aswell!! im gunna wait till 2moro wen my xhaust is cool enough for me to touch it, then i'll get under there and scrub it off! i'll update this on friday to let yoiu guys no if the smell went or if i still need help :) thankyou

Kiki
17-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Kool man...yeh you should b fine after that...its a very common problem

Awsome hopefully a problem solved!! :D

SiReal
17-09-2007, 08:18 PM
yeah its not gonna budge. haha i still have it.