PDA

View Full Version : New Brakes how long before they bed in?

obsessionz
17-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Hey guys just fitted new slotted rotors and Project Mu type NR Pads. how long to they usually bed in? ... as they arent braking the best at times.. this morning got a few jolts... and abit of a slide when braking ? is this normal?

Thankss... :thumbsup:

EWCivic
17-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Did you use brake cleaner to clean the new discs ? the new discs have oil to prevent rust during it's shipping and storing

ATSE
17-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Did you actually break in the pads? Do a series of hard stops initially... and you'll see a sort of blue tinge form on the disc. After that... just easy braking for a few hundered kms.

EuroAccord13
18-09-2007, 12:28 AM
Do 60 - 20 Km/h moderate braking not hard braking, by the time you do it like 15-20 times, you will start to feel the pads biting in nicely, do it for another 30 plus times and your pads will be ready.....

This however, is one of the few methods that are available and preferred by different people so you really do have a few choices as to how to bed them in..

IZY-10
18-09-2007, 12:36 AM
just don't do heavy braking for the first 200km. Once this period is up your brakes should be ready

aaronng
18-09-2007, 03:37 AM
His brakes are biting so hard that it is engaging ABS. That is the sliding that he is experiencing. That's what you get with pads at NR level. They are a step above stuff like Endless SSS.

obsessionz
18-09-2007, 11:55 AM
thanks for the advice .. :thumbsup:

ECU-MAN
18-09-2007, 10:55 PM
just don't do heavy braking for the first 200km. Once this period is up your brakes should be ready

to bed them in you have to do hard braking a few times as mentioned above.

IZY-10
18-09-2007, 11:14 PM
to bed them in you have to do hard braking a few times as mentioned above.

that weird because when i put my new rotors on the instructions they came with said not to do any heavy braking for the first 200km of normal driving conditions:o

aaronng
19-09-2007, 12:43 AM
It depends on the brand of pad. I have Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, and I drove gently for the first 1000km eventhough the bedding in process says to do 5 hard 80mph to zero stops. After that 1000km, I couldn't even engage ABS with a full stomp. So I did 5x hard 110km/h stops. Now I can engage ABS no problems.

Some pads need hard bedding in, some don't. Follow the instructions on the pads.

Limbo
19-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Did you clean off the clear layer of lacquare on the discs when you put them on??? There is usually a layer of clear on it to protect it from rusting before it is installed.

Also if you have one of those high temp type pads they take a few good hits before they start working properly as they need heat.

JasonGilholme
19-09-2007, 11:00 AM
as said it depends on the pad but the usual approach is to do a dozen or so hard stops from 60 - 20 ish k's an hour.

You shoudl also clean the discs with brake cleaner before putting them on teh car cause the protective fluid on them can ruin the pads.

ECU-MAN
19-09-2007, 08:22 PM
that weird because when i put my new rotors on the instructions they came with said not to do any heavy braking for the first 200km of normal driving conditions:o

I was tought this method from my trade school days, also manufactures recomend you dont stop the car compleatly when doing the hard baraking from 60 to 20 a few times.

braking gently will only lead to glazing the rotors.