PDA

View Full Version : 2000 mod ludes...

mr-n14
25-08-2003, 10:19 PM
they the current shape rite?
how do they perform, im starting to like them alot, how do they go down 400m? also how much approx they worth... cheers... :roll:

wynode
25-08-2003, 10:37 PM
My mate picked up a 98 vti-r with 60kms on the clock for $23K around a week ago.

They go pretty well, but probably not that quick over the 1/4 mile because they are quite heavy, and its hard to keep it in VTEC from what I've heard (red line at a around a (mere) 7,500rpm.

However unlike most other honda's it has nice torque down low because of the 2.2L H22 block.

Just make surey you get a manual.

Sorry no info on 1/4 mile times.

Jnr Teggy
25-08-2003, 10:38 PM
they are a slightly more relaxed honda...

great for touring and cruising..

ATTS option works well on the track i'm lead to believe!

LUD02C
26-08-2003, 11:13 AM
I heard they are a heavy Honda compared to others!
And yet again like all other Prelude's its FWD :(

vtir22
26-08-2003, 12:07 PM
5th Gen preludes (97-02) do the 1/4 in around 15.5s. Maybe even 15.1-15.2 on a good day. From what I've read, the ATTS is not reliable under track use (for the 97 models anyway). Good for the street apparently... if you get used to it.

And yeah the lude isn't no lightweight, but at 1300-1350kgs, it's not too bad. (Integra is around 1200kg but has 400cc less engine to pull it). On the street it's the nicer to drive around in as it's more luxurious...

FWD's not all bad. Commodores and Falcons are RWD and they handle like a cows @ss. Honda's have always made FWD cars that handle like a dream and safe(r) for inexperienced drivers as well. Know a friend who moved from a Teg VTiR to a WRX and he really missed the handling of the Teg.

wynode
26-08-2003, 12:32 PM
The only thing about FWD's is that they aren't as much 'fun' to drive as RWD cars.

If all the FWD hondas (not just the Type R) had an LSD, then I'd be VERY prowd to own a FWD.

Calvo
26-08-2003, 03:57 PM
just a Q, wats ATTS stand for? lol

vtir22
27-08-2003, 10:21 AM
The good ol' FWD vs RWD debate again...

Well yeah RWD can be more fun, but FWD is not always as 'inferrior' as people make it out to be that's all (we're talking about affordable cars here, not your 60k+ sports cars). Just because a car is RWD doesn't mean it definitely handles better than a FWD car. Both need to be sorted. Most drivers out there would be able to push a FWD car to its limit more than they could in a RWD car and be heaps more confident/safer in the process (especially in the rain)...

ATTS = 'Something' Torque Transfer System if I remember correctly.

Jnr Teggy
27-08-2003, 10:42 AM
atts = "active torque transfer system"

basically an intelligent LSD

Calvo
27-08-2003, 04:13 PM
ahh k. thanks fellas :D

CUDDLS
04-09-2003, 06:05 PM
The only thing about FWD's is that they aren't as much 'fun' to drive as RWD cars.

BULL! Love the FWD! Been cruising in my gen5 lude for the last month (just got it recently) and loving it!

As for the weight, i used to drive a saab 900, so i feel like the lude is so much lighter and just sits so well on the road!

It's beautiful for cruising, and as for vtecing, it's still all ace, with vtec pulling in just before 5500 rpm and then have fun until about 7000 rpm, That's a good dosage, esp doing it in 2nd and then again in 3rd... 1st disappears to quickly :(

But yeah, i'm loving the changeover from auto to manual, and manual is a must with the VTiR coz it has all the perks!

Good luck on trying to find one... in Melbourne they are expensive and not that easy to come across. I got mine with 92,000km for about 23k onroad for a 97 with skirts and good sound system, but i was lucky coz the dude was going to work overseas

Good luck with your search

Cat

AP1 F20c
17-09-2003, 08:25 PM
The resale value for the BB6 VTi-R has dropped significantly and can be easily picked up for mid $20s these days. If you're looking for straight line performance/handling, don't waste your time. It's too heavy and will make you look like a joke to most counterparts - Ala EK4 / DC2R / DC5R. It's a good cruiser, being comfortable and smooth. I'd call it the Accord Coupe rather than anything else. And ATTS? Don't even bother, you cannot feel it and is only useful if you're a track junkie where it works best. Maybe knock that 1s off your laptime but once again, it's too heavy, doesn't handle very well and powerband is no where close to the B killer series.

A'PEXi
17-09-2003, 08:54 PM
even so, there are still 'some' modded ludes of these versions floating around, maybe not alot in oz, but certainly in the states... there may be a few things that could be done to improve it :?: :?:

wynode
17-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Actually what has been said above is quite true. Their powerband isn't as large as the B series and one of its biggest weakenesses is its cylinder walls. If you planning on making big power (esp turbo) resleaving is something that a lot of people have done.

Sure the 2.2L is good, but there is a reason not too many people mod preludes for a good track/drag car.

toE
18-09-2003, 12:18 AM
nothing technical here, but the only reason i don't go for Ludes is cos i sat in one b4 at syd motor show and with my driving position, there's hardly and leg space for rear passengers and I care about that sorta stuff, hence i chose my accord sedan rather than a civic sedan!!

buuut that's just me! :oops:

Bugbait
19-09-2003, 05:48 PM
They go pretty well, but probably not that quick over the 1/4 mile because they are quite heavy, and its hard to keep it in VTEC from what I've heard (red line at a around a (mere) 7,500rpm.Redline may be at 7500rpm but fuel doesn't cut off until 8100rpm :). I shift at 7800-8000 when I drive hard and the engine is still purring.

Teggy-Vtir
19-09-2003, 11:46 PM
what i can remember with my friend's lude, the redline starts at 8
dunno wen it cuts off but

wynode
19-09-2003, 11:52 PM
Its under 8. Around 7.5 or so.

Teggy-Vtir
19-09-2003, 11:56 PM
yeah? hehe okai i guess ill double check next time wen i get into his car

can we import prelude type S here?

Tessai
20-09-2003, 07:18 PM
A 4th gen VTEC prelude is faster than a 5th gen VTEC.

they do 1/4 mile around 14.8 depending on driver and condition whereas a 5th gen is 15.1 at best.

Besides, i think my 4th gen is better looking too, not a fan of that retro boxy style in the 5th gen..............

wynode
20-09-2003, 07:59 PM
The key to that being that the 4th gen (thats the one with the big ass right?) is lighter than the newer one.

Teggy-Vtir
21-09-2003, 12:07 AM
a prelude is faster den a dc2r/dc5r?

wynode
21-09-2003, 09:35 AM
a prelude is faster den a dc2r/dc5r?

No.

Once the Type R is in its powerband it is quicker than the prelude because of its weight and powerband advantage.

LEWD
27-09-2003, 12:14 PM
youll find that stock for stock a prelude is slower off the line, but one thing it does have is that it will continue to pull way after 130km/h, soemthing that b series cars dont...i remeber when my car was stock, a friend had a civic vtir and another an integra vtir and they both would get me off the line, but as soon as we got over 100km/h it is like they had stopped....my car would continue going....but they are more of a gt car, than a sports car...

LEWD
27-09-2003, 12:16 PM
Once the Type R is in its powerband it is quicker than the prelude because of its weight and powerband advantage.

once rolling, weight plays virtually no part

wynode
27-09-2003, 01:01 PM

once rolling, weight plays virtually no part

How is that?

Quite simply, the more weight you have to carry, the slower you get if you have the same power.

LEWD
27-09-2003, 06:44 PM
yes but the fact that your car is already in motion at speed, the small weight difference becomes a negligible performance difference...

wynode
27-09-2003, 07:25 PM
But the Type R has

1. Weight advantage
2. Power(band) advantage

LEWD
28-09-2003, 01:43 AM
again, weight advantage is minimal...but what i dont understand is the powerband argument....the prelude has more peak power, and quite a bit more torque....although torque is also a minimal factor at speed, it still allows the car to push on when upshifting.....explain why the itr has a superior powerband...im intrigued....peak horsepower is achieved at a higher rev, which i dont think is a positive, and immediately after peak, power drops...while in a prelude the power is achieved sonner in the rev range and is less 'peaky'.

the only thing that makes an ITR good is its weight reduction and its effect on accelration and braking, and also the ability to pull slightly higher lateral gs than a vtir integra, other things like the increase in torsional rigidity is good...however as far as handling, and driving in the real world...i think they suck balls....when i bought my lude, i had an ITR for the weekend and I drove it down great ocean rd, the following weekend i took a lude down the same rd...i can honestly say that the lude did it quicker, felt much safer and was more enjoyable, however around phillip island, i have to admit the ITR was in a league of its own...but seriously though, how many people that own ITRs track their cars?

CVK-A
09-12-2003, 12:26 PM
hrmmmmmmmmm i dunno

i think that the lude has to much weight

truthfully on paper i thought that the lude would jump up infront of a type r
however the other day my mate in the type r ended up 2-3 car lengths infront

i luv the prelude
and would luv to own one....and prob would of by now although its slower performance(by 3 car lengths) as compared to the type r has put a large dint in the way that i look at the preludes

very confusing car

AP1 F20c
09-12-2003, 01:10 PM
again, weight advantage is minimal...but what i dont understand is the powerband argument....the prelude has more peak power.

What sorta "peak" are you talking about when it redlines at 7+RPMs? The H22a DOHC VTEC makes power in "VTEC" for about 2+RPMs only compared to the B series VTECs? The most powerful feature of the H22a is torque with low to mid power VS the B series DOHC VTECs. There is no high-end power or "peak" in short for the H22a that I could find/substatiate.

the only thing that makes an ITR good is its weight reduction and its effect on accelration and braking, and also the ability to pull slightly higher lateral gs than a vtir integra, other things like the increase in torsional rigidity is good...however as far as handling, and driving in the real world...i think they suck balls....when i bought my lude, i had an ITR for the weekend and I drove it down great ocean rd, the following weekend i took a lude down the same rd...i can honestly say that the lude did it quicker, felt much safer and was more enjoyable, however around phillip island, i have to admit the ITR was in a league of its own...but seriously though, how many people that own ITRs track their cars?

That's a very bias and ignorant comment to pass. To be fair, ever heard of a measurement called "Power To Weight Ratio?". Unfortunately, the DC2Rs/DC5Rs have a higher power to weight ratio when compared to a Prelude. A Type R is completely different from a VTi-R Integra to begin with. It isn't just the lighter weight, different engine, LSD that makes the difference, there's more to that to produce such an excellent FF machine.

Unfortunately I cannot see how you can substantiate a Type R being a "poorer" handler compared to your Prelude in a winding/twisting road except for the fact that because you only had the Type R for a few days, you couldn't really harness the difference/potential of the car, thus passing this judgement. In all honesty, if you want outright brutal Honda performance, the Type R offers alot of that for a minimal price tag compared to cars which can perform so well. But if you want a luxurious cruiser with comfort and smooth power delivery, the Prelude is ideal for the job. Comparing both in terms of outright performance including power delivery and handling, the Type R wins hands down. Ever wondered why there is no Prelude Type R if it was meant to be better than the Integra Type R?

CVK-A
11-12-2003, 02:26 PM
mate

theres not a word in ur last post that i couldnt agree more with

aznluder
30-12-2003, 09:34 PM
my cats breath smells like catfood. :twisted: