PDA

View Full Version : Spraying Dash

SiR JDM
31-07-2004, 08:52 PM
ey guys... jus wondering how easy/feasable it is to give my dash a respray.. the whole thing..

Ive gotta white EG hatch with b16 conversion.. no real mods, except my red monza seats :P...

Im not a huge fan of the grey interior of the grey EG interior and i absolutly love black interiors such as prelude, tegra, and CTR...

Ive got black carpet/vinal that im goin to install soon, and ive got the red racing seats :p.. because i really love the CTR look and really want to have a black dash with my SIR cluster and red seats...

just wondering how possible it is and if anyone in melb does it ? how much around would it cost? or issit easy enough to do yourself? Has anyone on here done it?

alo, off topic, i want to get my windows changed from manz to power windows... ive had an offer of 200$ per door, but since thats the f#*ker that did an absolute shit job of wiring my [acronym:f1607102e0="Engine Control Unit"]ECU[/acronym:f1607102e0] during the conversion, i dont really trust him with electrics anymore... ne one done this/know places that would do it in melb?

thx everyone =)

MRJDM
31-07-2004, 08:59 PM
Y DONT YOU JUST PUT IN THE INTEGRA DASH IN. ITLL TAKE YOU ABOUT A DAY TO PUT IN

SiR JDM
31-07-2004, 09:10 PM
Does that fit? no modifications needed?

MRJDM
31-07-2004, 09:18 PM
go to honda-tech.com and do a search on "integra dash" on archive content...have a read. its not that hard

SiR JDM
31-07-2004, 09:30 PM
ok cool thanx....

now windows? =)?

would dc2 door trims fit on an EG? i heard dc2 and EG are about 99% compatible, and i was thinking if i get the dash from a dc2, and i want to get power windows as well, trims from a dc2 would be sweet =)

SiR JDM
31-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Just clarrifying "dash" as in the whole plastic compartment at the front of the car not the *cluster* as in RPM TACHO, SPEEDO, Fuel/Temp gauges etc...

The people on honda-tech.com call the cluster the dash..

MRJDM
31-07-2004, 09:46 PM
no im talking about a whole integra dash

SiR JDM
31-07-2004, 10:21 PM
ok good...

just checking = ) thnx

I think the doors are compatible, just they are a little different where the door and the door meet and it needs to be customised...
can anyone confirm this or tell me the real story if im wrong...

thx

Lobo
01-08-2004, 02:45 PM
even if u cbf changing them over u could buy some vynal paint cost about 10 bukz per spray can, do a few coats of that

my mate did that in his tx3 came out pretty nice

SiR JDM
02-08-2004, 02:14 AM
oh really? hrm.. ill consider it...

does it scratch easily?

MR-VTEC
02-08-2004, 08:08 AM
mmmmmmm. spraying your dash. i've done it in my old car (eg civic) and this time around i personally wouldn't recommend it unless you know what your doin. yeah sure it's easy to do but if you dont get it right it scratches easily and imo looks tacky.

MR-VTEC
02-08-2004, 08:10 AM
but on the other hand you could give it a clear coat over the top and this would help protect the paint and give it some durability. i chose not to do that though because it made it look really shiny and it was really obvious it was painted.

A'PEXi
02-08-2004, 10:40 AM
i have a tutorial/write up at home, i can post it up tonight if your interested... basically goes through the steps of sanding it down, primer, spraying a few layers etc.

SiR JDM
02-08-2004, 06:54 PM
hey yea that would be really good! thanx

MR-VTEC
02-08-2004, 07:16 PM
yep make sure you use a good grease and grime remover. you want to get rid of all the silicon from products like armor all that will stop your paint from sticking well.

RMN15N
21-06-2006, 02:31 AM
lols.. dont use spray cans doode.. just get it sprayed at the shop for piece of mind.. if u do it at home u gotta remember to coat it with "plastic primer"
or it'll all just flake off..

EDIT

crap i just noticed this was posted two years ago?. WTF ??
somone close this thread please!

vtec_jet
21-06-2006, 02:37 AM
hahahahahaaahaha

Sexc86
21-06-2006, 06:19 AM
vinal dye is the way to go apparently

EGB16A
21-06-2006, 08:30 AM
I've done heaps of research on this and done a little work myself...

Vinyl dye works great, i used it on the vinyl pieces in the back of my EG hatch and it looks almost like oem. Clear coat will make it look stupid shiney, and cheap IMO. You'll only need to use that primer under coat shit if your going to use paint, which i personaly wouldn't do. If the vinyl dye is applied properly, it will last ages...

Integra dash will fit, however, you'll have to modify the wiring for stuff like the air-con and afew other bits. The cluster should fit fine.

Once the dash is installed, there are gaps on either side of the dash about 2cm or so from memory. You'll also have to change the mold on your door trims to accomadate the curve of the dash, it sticks out further by another 3cm or so.

integra door trims will NOT fit on the civic, the door is shorter and higher on the civic (or the other way round, can't remember)

Also, the a slight modification to the dash mounts will be needed, otherwise your dash won't sit exactly straight.

hope that helps?

cheers
Lloyd

incoming
21-06-2006, 08:40 AM
if u put the WHOLE integra dash in ur gona have to mod ur door trims
honda-tech has a DIY

looks hard due to the wiring conversion... i gave up on that idea lol

EGB16A
21-06-2006, 08:44 AM
LOOKS AWSOME!!!
http://hondatuningmagazine.com/features/0509ht_civic_03_z.jpg

ekslut
21-06-2006, 09:31 AM
damn, talking about digging up a old thread. This is from 2004.

I'll leave it open though for anyone thats intrested in doing this, but I'm pretty sure the tread starter doesn't need anymore info on this subject.

So only reply if you are wanting more info on this...

Zdster
21-06-2006, 10:25 AM
I've done heaps of research on this and done a little work myself...

Vinyl dye works great, i used it on the vinyl pieces in the back of my EG hatch and it looks almost like oem. Clear coat will make it look stupid shiney, and cheap IMO. You'll only need to use that primer under coat shit if your going to use paint, which i personaly wouldn't do. If the vinyl dye is applied properly, it will last ages...

Integra dash will fit, however, you'll have to modify the wiring for stuff like the air-con and afew other bits. The cluster should fit fine.

Once the dash is installed, there are gaps on either side of the dash about 2cm or so from memory. You'll also have to change the mold on your door trims to accomadate the curve of the dash, it sticks out further by another 3cm or so.

integra door trims will NOT fit on the civic, the door is shorter and higher on the civic (or the other way round, can't remember)

Also, the a slight modification to the dash mounts will be needed, otherwise your dash won't sit exactly straight.

hope that helps?

cheers
Lloyd

Can you please let me know what brand you used of dye and what colour as I have one piece that I want to change the colour of.

z3lda
21-06-2006, 01:27 PM
if u want integra dash in an eg , u can still use the civic door trims.

just heat up the door trim and slam it shut. :thumbsup:

just like the pic above.

Fo55il
21-06-2006, 05:29 PM
can any1 do this 4 me- ill pay em !!!

EGB16A
21-06-2006, 05:33 PM
Can you please let me know what brand you used of dye and what colour as I have one piece that I want to change the colour of.

I think the brand was VHT, it was about $20 a can from repco

Zdster
21-06-2006, 05:37 PM
I think the brand was VHT, it was about $20 a can from repco

Cool. You wouldnt happen to have any idea on colour would you?

How difficult a job was it to dye (as I have only every painted)? Any tips or advice?

EGB16A
21-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Cool. You wouldnt happen to have any idea on colour would you?

How difficult a job was it to dye (as I have only every painted)? Any tips or advice?

There are 2 colours of black, gloss and flat. Personaly i prefer the gloss black. The job isn't hard, just follow the prep instructions and apply lightly and evenly otherwise you'll get runs, and it ruins the effect. Just don't spray too close to the vinyl

TYPE-ONE
22-06-2006, 10:29 AM
so after 2 years....has he actually finished the dash yet?

RMN15N
22-06-2006, 02:08 PM
z3lda thats a stupid idea.. not only will u make the door look like shi7 but u will deform the oem vinyl..

tRipitaka
22-06-2006, 02:14 PM
z3lda thats a stupid idea.. not only will u make the door look like shi7 but u will deform the oem vinyl..

doesn't look like shit to me ? :confused:

joyride
23-06-2006, 09:30 AM
do it the OH way:

post in the WTB section "looking for black EG dash"

let the sellers come to you. OH :thumbup:

RMN15N
23-06-2006, 10:42 AM

doesn't look like shit to me ? :confused:

thats because that guy didnt heat it then close the door

EGB16A
23-06-2006, 12:29 PM
thats because that guy didnt heat it then close the door

the only proper way to do it, is to cut and re-mold the door trim, then get it re-trimmed in vinyl.

I wanted to customise dc2 door trims for my civic, but its not as easy as people think.

Paul1985
24-06-2006, 10:07 PM
ill be doing it in the next couple of weeks. I have black EG6 trims though, so i shouldnt need any vinyl dye (better than painting IMO).

Ill let everyone know how i go with it all when its done. Im going to pull the vinyl back and cut the trims where they need to be cut and try stretch and glue the vinyl back over neatly.

Heating and slamming is a bit rough IMO. I couldnt honestly see it giving good results.

canook
24-06-2006, 10:45 PM
the best wat to do the door trims is to cut and fiberglass them to the correct shape, then take them to a dashboard restorer where they can vacuum mould new vynal back on to them. That way they will look factory

RMN15N
26-06-2006, 10:38 AM
ill be doing it in the next couple of weeks. I have black EG6 trims though, so i shouldnt need any vinyl dye (better than painting IMO).

Ill let everyone know how i go with it all when its done. Im going to pull the vinyl back and cut the trims where they need to be cut and try stretch and glue the vinyl back over neatly.

Heating and slamming is a bit rough IMO. I couldnt honestly see it giving good results.

i have done this already.. the doors look great.. all white.. and painted my plastic bits black..
but it gets dirty quick.. the only problem with retrimming ur interior is that when u do it to quickly u tend to miss some spots where as i have and when ur done it does show abit..
so when i can be bothered i will glue it again

EGB16A
26-06-2006, 10:47 AM
the best wat to do the door trims is to cut and fiberglass them to the correct shape, then take them to a dashboard restorer where they can vacuum mould new vynal back on to them. That way they will look factory

correct^^

paul, you might run into trouble by just cutting the the door trim to size and re-gluing the vinyl back down. I'm guessing your using that DIY from honda-tech as a reference? The end result of that particular DC2 dash install was pretty average IMO.

as canook suggested, cut and firbeglass to shape and get them re-skinned. I'd sell your EG6 door trims, as you'll probably get your money back if you sold them again, and hack up the original ones that came with your EG.

thats my 2c
I hope it all goes well for you

RMN15N
26-06-2006, 11:17 AM
correct^^

paul, you might run into trouble by just cutting the the door trim to size and re-gluing the vinyl back down. I'm guessing your using that DIY from honda-tech as a reference? The end result of that particular DC2 dash install was pretty average IMO.

as canook suggested, cut and firbeglass to shape and get them re-skinned. I'd sell your EG6 door trims, as you'll probably get your money back if you sold them again, and hack up the original ones that came with your EG.

thats my 2c
I hope it all goes well for you

nah man ur just a lazy ass.. if u wanna do it nicely.. well cut it more than perfect fit .. as i say u can never cut to much.. and if u give it time and care then it'll all b perfect... try buying the spray on contact adhiessive glue. quicker and not that thick.. and some G clamps , super glue.. for the back
hope that helps

EGB16A
26-06-2006, 12:18 PM
nah man ur just a lazy ass.. if u wanna do it nicely.. well cut it more than perfect fit .. as i say u can never cut to much.. and if u give it time and care then it'll all b perfect... try buying the spray on contact adhiessive glue. quicker and not that thick.. and some G clamps , super glue.. for the back
hope that helps

how am i the lazy ass? i'm suggesting the longer (better) way to do it

canook
26-06-2006, 12:40 PM
hope that helps
Ive been doing custom doors and such for 17 years and there is nothing lazy about doing it the right way....once you pull the trim up it will generally stretch out of shape and not go back down properly

-spray on contact glue=short term, doest not last in the heat,generally weak
-superglue=doesnt play nice with most soft materials ie: vynal and will eat into plastics ect...

if you are going to go to that much trouble to do the dash you might as well do the doors properly

here is the trims i did on my old BMW to give you an idea,
before(look past the steering wheel and you can see the door had factory moulded pockets)
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/275000-275999/275574_15.jpg
Here you can see how i reshaped the door and it has been completely recovered...
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/275000-275999/275574_26.jpg

RMN15N
26-06-2006, 02:17 PM
ok for starters i never said super glue the whole thing.. i said super glue the back for the little bits to stick so it isnt messy get it?
2ndly professional trimmers use spray on Contact Adhessive glue i know because i asked them.
3rdly who said anything about pulling the vinyl out of the oem door then sticking down again? thats just stupid
of course you will need to measure out new vinyl bigger then the actual size one and then slowly adjust it to fit
ill show you how my door turned out b4 u judge me
shit
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2572/img20086rs.jpg

EGB16A
26-06-2006, 02:44 PM
ok for starters i never said super glue the whole thing.. i said super glue the back for the little bits to stick so it isnt messy get it?
2ndly professional trimmers use spray on Contact Adhessive glue i know because i asked them.
3rdly who said anything about pulling the vinyl out of the oem door then sticking down again? thats just stupid
of course you will need to measure out new vinyl bigger then the actual size one and then slowly adjust it to fit
shit

i'm glad thats your interior and not mine!!! that will get crazy dirty!

You gotta do the rest of the dash too, so EVERYTHING is white....
other than that, it looks pretty good. Take the time to perfect what you are doing, you'll get results.

Also, just a thought... would you consider re-trimming the fabric to another colour, instead of the white vinyl (the part the was cloth trim as standard)?

Canook, you are a god! That looks awesome. I'm assuming your a trimmer by trade?

RMN15N
26-06-2006, 02:56 PM
yeah this side of the door i did taking my time.. which resulted in it turning out good the other side i gotta glue down abit more.
and it doesnt get that dirty. u only think that because it is white..'
heres a tip when u clean it with metho
then apply interior cleaner it will add like a kinda layer of dirty proof shit.. so yeh

canook
26-06-2006, 03:13 PM
shit
ok reading back i jumped the gun on who's post said what:o and i didnt relise you meant to use new vynal and not pull it back the existing
you are correct on the spray glue(i assumed you meant "spray cans" glue)

We have always used Marine grade (heat and moisture resistant) glue via a spray gun.Still not excited about using superglue but if works for you go for it.

This is what happens when you are trying to answer a post and every other bugger that keeps walking into my office... sheesh cant they see im trying not to work LOL!

canook
26-06-2006, 03:17 PM
EBG16A
Canook, you are a god! That looks awesome. I'm assuming your a trimmer by trade?

No i was a car audio installer for 17 years :wave:

RMN15N
26-06-2006, 05:01 PM
ok reading back i jumped the gun on who's post said what:o and i didnt relise you meant to use new vynal and not pull it back the existing
you are correct on the spray glue(i assumed you meant "spray cans" glue)

We have always used Marine grade (heat and moisture resistant) glue via a spray gun.Still not excited about using superglue but if works for you go for it.

This is what happens when you are trying to answer a post and every other bugger that keeps walking into my office... sheesh cant they see im trying not to work LOL!

LOL, nah its all good
super glue isnt for all ov it its just for the bits u need to hold down quick when u stretch the material..