PDA

View Full Version : Problem in VTEC

code-87
20-09-2007, 04:49 PM
i have a Honda Integra Type R,2000 model.
the car today felt really sluggish more so then usually, at tyms the car felt fine but at tyms it felt terrible.i just thought myt be because its due for a service.
last week i had a problem and i dismissed it but it happened again when driving home today.
the problem is when in "VTEC" from just over 6000rpm in 3rd gear the car suddenly acts sluggish like VTEC isn't working then VTEC comes back on then off again if u know what i mean.the problem hasn't been there from day one.
when it happened last week i dismissed it thinking the car was to cold which apparently affects VTEC as it doesn't work when the cars cold.
i don't go thrashing the car from cold but just thought it myt of not been warm enough
it would have been well and truly warm today
i have tested the problem overly as fear of doing more damage but the both times the car was slightly turning, i don't however think this would have dramatic affect but i don't kno if it does it on the straight
when the car felt that VTEC had stopped even though i was in the power band, there was a noise near the front drivers wheel.it almost sound like i lost traction but i seriously doubt that.so a slight screech or SWISH sound.
hard to explain i know but what would be some good things to start looking at?tests i can do to determine the problem.
my m8 is a mechanic who can do most work for me but has very limited information about hondas.

|N|
20-09-2007, 04:58 PM
when was the last time u check ur engine oil?

code-87
20-09-2007, 05:00 PM
not that long ago.i'll go check it again

JasonGilholme
20-09-2007, 05:05 PM
Vtec problems are usually oil pressure related so check your oil level and check the ECU for fault codes.

code-87
20-09-2007, 05:11 PM
juz checked
the oil was pretty low, alot lower than the last time i check which wasn't that long ago so on the lookout for a leak
so ive topped it up
y was this problem only in 3rd if this was the case?

JasonGilholme
20-09-2007, 05:25 PM
car spends more time in vtec in third gear so theres more chance for it to happen.

Kiki
20-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Try getting a compression test done....and mayb check that ur timming is right!!

These things can cause power loss....i recently had my car checked over as i had a similar problem...with my dc2r....but for me ive put it down to my heavy stereo(whcih im going to pull out) and that i need to service it as its due...

How does ur clutch feel?? has ur take off been sluggish/lagging at times (like feeling heavy?)

Give me a PM if u like...in 2 weeks ill have serviced mine and done a couple of tests...and ill let u know uf my car turned out ok

In the mean time top up the oil!! etc as Jason said and u might b fine!! checking the ECU for codes...just go to ur nearest honda and they can check that....it doesnt take long and it should b free!!! As theres barly anytime involved in doing it!!

|N|
20-09-2007, 11:34 PM
juz checked
the oil was pretty low, alot lower than the last time i check which wasn't that long ago so on the lookout for a leak
so ive topped it up
y was this problem only in 3rd if this was the case?

top it up and see how u go first la

|N|
20-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Try getting a compression test done....and mayb check that ur timming is right!!

These things can cause power loss....i recently had my car checked over as i had a similar problem...with my dc2r....but for me ive put it down to my heavy stereo(whcih im going to pull out) and that i need to service it as its due...

How does ur clutch feel?? has ur take off been sluggish/lagging at times (like feeling heavy?)

Give me a PM if u like...in 2 weeks ill have serviced mine and done a couple of tests...and ill let u know uf my car turned out ok

In the mean time top up the oil!! etc as Jason said and u might b fine!! checking the ECU for codes...just go to ur nearest honda and they can check that....it doesnt take long and it should b free!!! As theres barly anytime involved in doing it!!

and ECU test is very simple u dont need to take it to a honda...

there s a DIY thread here somewhere with the code list as well...

but i still suggest top up the oil first...

Kiki
20-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Awsome

code-87
21-09-2007, 09:41 AM
my m8s a mechanic he works for hyundai but has acces 2 honda, there codes etc etc
where doing my services n stuff this sunday
on the list now is compression test, check timing n check codes
KiKi i also have a hude stezza n put it down to that.i'll let u know how i go

Kiki
21-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Yeh sweet man

Yeh im planning to get rid of my custom stereo...as i want power now...and when i picked it up with the stereo i noticed a big difference...oh well u loose some u win some!!

Limbo
21-09-2007, 01:48 PM
i'd prob reset the ECU also won't hurt. Car could be pinging due to low oil or something else

IEVAQ8
21-09-2007, 01:53 PM
if your car is due for a service, what happens is that once the oil leavel is low or not enough oil pressure the vtec does not engage, even if it goes ion and out of vtec, and if you where turning slightly in both opccasions it may jhave disturbed the flow of oil especially if its low

Shraka
21-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Could be a timing issue. Spark plugs possibly but more likely distributor. I dunno why it would happen more in third gear though.

Benson
21-09-2007, 04:04 PM
i reckon it could be oil pressure. Vtec cuts in an out if oil pressure is low. Check oil level. Put an oil pressure gauge in the head and chec pressure.
Should be 60-80psi at 4500rpm