PDA

View Full Version : Soft Brake Feel after pad change

ATSE
20-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Hi guys

Just trying to get some opinion on a slight issue i have. Had some brand new ferodos on, but I didn't like the dust it was creating (great bite though), so my friend changed them to OEM ones. After we changed them, and bedded the pads in, I drove it to see how it felt. The pedal felt alot softer, and there is a swishing noise coming from the pedal when i press it.

But once i turn the car off and pump it a few times, the pedal goes hard and feels like it should feel. Turn it back on again the soft feel comes back and also the noise.

I went back to the workshop today to rebleed the whole system and no air bubbles came out. But i still have the soft pedal feel for some reason. I don't know if it is the MC or booster, but this has got me thinking.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

shadou
20-09-2007, 09:33 PM
if you've bled it properly then it could be a m.c leak.

eg92b16a
20-09-2007, 10:02 PM
I had a set of Bendix advance which were great, then changed discs, calipers etc which had OEM pads installed. I found the pedal similar, quite soft with swishing noise when the brakes are engaged, and hard to pull up. I put it down to the OEM pads. I'm saving for some EBC green stuff which should do the trick.

shadou
20-09-2007, 10:12 PM
soft? does the pedal sink after you've applied them? or just a vague spongy feeling?

ATSE
20-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Just a spongy feel...

Pretty sure it ain't my MC... no visible leaks on firewall. I'll re-check the calipers tomorrow... cause it was fine before i changed the pads to OEM.

I don't think it would be anything to do with the pads... because the pedal goes back to normal when you pump it a few times after the car is turned off.

But thanks for the input guys. Keep em coming...

v3rdino
21-09-2007, 02:23 AM
it sounds like air is still in the system. otherwise if there was a leak it would be spongy all the time. regardless if car is on or off. did you bleed the brakes in the correct order?

Professional
21-09-2007, 02:43 AM
Brake system is very important. It needs to do in right process. I got this problem with bad mechanic before. Just find a right people to do it again.

aaronng
21-09-2007, 02:47 AM
I had a set of Bendix advance which were great, then changed discs, calipers etc which had OEM pads installed. I found the pedal similar, quite soft with swishing noise when the brakes are engaged, and hard to pull up. I put it down to the OEM pads. I'm saving for some EBC green stuff which should do the trick.

Not a fan of EBC green. :thumbdwn:

Just a spongy feel...

Pretty sure it ain't my MC... no visible leaks on firewall. I'll re-check the calipers tomorrow... cause it was fine before i changed the pads to OEM.

I don't think it would be anything to do with the pads... because the pedal goes back to normal when you pump it a few times after the car is turned off.

But thanks for the input guys. Keep em coming...
The MC can leak internally as well.

Limbo
21-09-2007, 10:39 AM
try bleeding the brakes again, i think it may solve your prob

e240
21-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1) With the engine off, pump the brakes until it gets hard, and then apply steady pressure on the padel. If the Pedall doesn't go down, you probably don't have a leak. If the pedal does go down, you have a leak somewhere.

2) Sometimes, with new pads, your pedal can feel spongy until they've been bedded in. As long as your pedal doesn't hit the floor when you brake. Find a clear spot and do about 5 hard brakes from 60km/h, drive normally for a few minutes to cool the brakes down and then repeat. you should by then feel improvement.

fatboyz39
21-09-2007, 12:07 PM
EBC green stuff are good for street.

As for your problem, do what E240 said above.

eg92b16a
21-09-2007, 03:57 PM
my problem seems to be the same as ATSE.
As far as braking system is concerned, it's all OK, no leaks and tested as per E240 said.
I really do think that it's the OEM pads. When you have something better and then go back to stock they just don't feel as good or perform as well.

ATSE
21-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the input guys... much appreciated!

I've pretty much tried all the above already with no success. I guess i will rebleed the brakes accordingly and see what happens.

The thing is I've had oem pads changed before on my car (ek4 brakes then), and it didn't feel like this at all.

I'll let you guys know what happens tomorrow. Cheers.