PDA

View Full Version : Buying advice for Civic

Jazid
21-09-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm thinking about purchasing a 1998 Civic GLi. Are they any good? Any known mechanical faults with them? And whats a standard service cost?

Any help would be great

Thanks,
SC

No-VTEC
21-09-2007, 05:46 PM
I have a 96' GLi, i bought it for $8500 (2yrs ago), full service, with only 110k km on the clock. i'm the 2nd owner.
try to get one that has had the timing belt done =D cos it'll save you $$$.
and also check the brakes...so that you know how much meat is left on the pads.

Good little car, not much torque, but that is a given with a 1.6L, top end is not so great, considering you're driving a Prelude atm. (i'm only a little bit slower than my friends stock EM1) =D
if its an A->B car then it should be fine, fuel consumption is quite standard. but no vtak.
having said that, the stock engine is enough to get you started on windy roads. (down hill) =D

if you like to drive hard you should probably save up and get at least an EK4 unless you plan to mod your car. You'll find that the stock engine is not too great. also GLi suspension is same as CXi - which is crap.
if you like your handling - you'll find it very soft, and lots of body roll in hard cornering. (upgrade springs, shocks, rear sway bar are a must)
(EK subframes are structually weaker than EG/DC, something to consider if you want to upgrade later - but you can get reinforcment kits)
GLi has 4 wheel disc brakes with is a plus

mechanically i find it very sound, no major problems in my experience.
i get my servicing done at Ultratune...you pay a little more, but its convenient and they are very reputable. basic service will set you back about $350 for the standard tune (every 3 months or 100k km)
the major service is 450 (??) i cant remember exactly

let me know if you need anything else. (also check out the Post a Hot EK thread and start getting ideas on how you want it to look)

Jazid
21-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks for your informative reply.

The one i'm looking at is about $12k, only 50k kms and has King springs and Koni shockers put in it. Its also been lowered and has mags etc etc

My Prelude was written off in an accident :( and I'm looking for something a bit more practical and cheaper to run.

It only cost $180 for a 6 month service on my Prelude. I even took it to a Honda dealer. You should try that for your Civic.

Thanks again,
SC

nugget666
21-09-2007, 07:55 PM
I own a early 99 ek1 sedan.

Its an awesome car ive had it for two years now. only had little problems like squeaky clutch peddle and rattley dash. There its only faults i can give it. its a fun car to drive it handles quite well.

gli has 4 disc brakes also.

Merlin086
21-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Damn thats low k's for a 98!
Local dealer told me a 100k service with timing belt was $680

Just picked up a 1 owner 2000 Ek 4dr 5spd this afternoon.

I think it was a good score...$10,500,perfect inside, log books, timing belt done, straight body,good paint, gold badged model with factory wing, 95k on clock with 3 mth warranty.

Points when looking for a used Honda
1. Good service history
2. As above

koitsuu
22-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Honda's are very reliable cars in terms of their mechanical side and there wasn't any problem with my old GLi. The servicing was roughtly $200 or so for minor service(not at dealer). I believe $12k for a GLi is too pricy I sold my Gli sedan 00 model last year for $10k with full honda logs and execellent cond had only run 70,000km. But I guess civics in sydney are underpriced...