PDA

View Full Version : Brake lines ADR approved??

beeza
24-09-2007, 05:10 PM
I want to upgrade my brake lines.I was thinking about these 2:
Goodridge Brake line Kit (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GOODRIDGE-BRAKE-LINE-KIT-96-00-HONDA-CIVIC-20020_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33562QQihZ011QQit emZ320161091792QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V)
Aeroguip Brake lines (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58923)
But I noticed in the Aeroguip thread that they are not ADR approved.Does this mean if I have an accident my insurance company can not give me a payout?
Would the Goodridge ones be ADR approved?
Any other recommendations would be appreciated.
Thank you's :D

JasonGilholme
24-09-2007, 05:16 PM
What other brake mods have you done so far??

Braided lines would be one of the last things to do.

Got pads??
Got discs??
Got good fluid?
Got a master cylinder stopper?
Got good tyres? (makes alot of difference in stopping distance)

beeza
24-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Oh really,thanks.
My car currently has:
Stock pads.Is Ceramic the go,no dust? Any recommendations plz.
All 4 disk brakes.
Recently flushed Genuine Honda Brake Fluid.
Cusco Brake stopper :)
Tyres are Nankangs.

aaronng
24-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Those lines are not ADR approved. Get brakequip ones from Maltech.

JasonGilholme
24-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Pads: I've got ceramic carbon metal pads (endless Type CC-X) and they're good. Very good with heat. You need to choose something thats going to suit your discs.

Discs: Slotted Rotors (RDA). They're not the best when it comes to heat (i don't reccommend ceramic pads with these discs). Probably go for DBA if you end up getting ceramic pads. I reckon they'd be fine with a less aggressive/hardcore pad.

Fluid: OEM Honda is alright. although its not the best under heat. You could go for something aftermarket if your going to be trackin alot. Watever you do though, make sure you stick with the same DOT rating that you've currently got. mixing fluids can cause problems with your parts and reduce performance.

Master cylinder stopper: Cusco :thumbsup:

Tyres: Nankangs aren't the best. They're ok. (probably the same as x-force headers if you know what i mean.) Could go for a good set of toyo street tyres or even some semi slicks (if your hard core hard core lol)

Once you've done all that you should look at brake lines.

Also, your suspension setup has lot to do with your braking capabilities. If your wheels aren't on the road then your not gonna be able to stop very well lol.

Could look at coilovers, and aftermarket sussy bushes. They should also have a good impact on your braking abilities

hope that helps mate.

beeza
24-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Yup Forsure,great info,thanks again Jason :)
I really just want to firm up the pedal a bit as to have a bit more confidence with the brake.Like what a cusco brake stopper does.
I know tyres are the most important so I want to change them when these ones wear out.Not looking to spend a lot here...
I've already lowered her on Kingy's with the stock struts.

I think I will change the pads and brake lines for now.

Is there anyone on here that sells a good set of ceramic or equivilent brake pads to fit a 96 EK Civic Sedan?

Thanks aaronng Checking out the Maltech website now :)

Bayani
24-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Why can't I give PQ?

bennjamin
24-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Why can't I give PQ?

i still can.But im a moderator.

Refer to this thread http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31660&page=37

BACK on topic , i 100% agree to leave brake lines stock until your car is an actual race car. Anything less will not receive much of a benefit. Your cars tyres and perhaps engine will wear out / overheat before the brake fluid ballons the lines.

gelo
24-09-2007, 10:37 PM
i use goodridge lines on my car. was told by indy from IS motor racing they are adr

Zdster
24-09-2007, 11:11 PM
I agree with Ben, but on topic, when I researched brake lines a good year and a half ago all I got was confused. To be 100% sure that they are adr approved you basically need them to have a label to that affect.

beeza
25-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks guys :)

I was under the impression that fitting stainless steel brake lines will firm up your brakes...

I just bought a set of Trust Front Brake Pads for $140.So I'll fit them and see if that's enough.

bennjamin
25-09-2007, 09:56 AM
it will not firm up for brakes. It will only prevent the lines from ballooning , once the fluid has heated up to a larger degree ( IE wont happen on the street or unlikely on the track)

beeza
25-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks heaps bennjamin :thumbsup:
Great,money that dosen't need spending is always good :D

Is it worth fitting some nice pads at the rear too?

JasonGilholme
25-09-2007, 10:06 AM
If your doing some sort of motor sport that needs them then its a good idea. (aka motorkhana)

Eclipsor
25-09-2007, 10:11 AM
it will not firm up for brakes. It will only prevent the lines from ballooning , once the fluid has heated up to a larger degree ( IE wont happen on the street or unlikely on the track)

I tend to disagree. On a mates 15 year old car with 15 year old rubber lines and relatively stock brakes we noticed a difference instantly.

bennjamin
25-09-2007, 10:11 AM
fit the same rated pads front n rear :) Braking balance is a good thing.

Eclipsor . That is not because they are braided lines , its because they are newer than the OEM lines the car had. IF you replaced them with OEM lines either new or 2nd hand , you would of noticed the difference immediately too.

JasonGilholme
25-09-2007, 10:17 AM
That is not because they are braided lines , its because they are newer than the OEM lines the car had. IF you replaced them with OEM lines either new or 2nd hand , you would of noticed the difference immediately too.

x2 :thumbsup:

Eclipsor
25-09-2007, 10:24 AM
That was kind of the point I was trying to make. A lot of people on here have cars getting on a bit. For the price of braided lines these days, personally I would get them over oem. ADR approved ones of course.

edit: Maybe thats not exactly right. But by the things people are saying here, you shouldn't even look at your lines until you've got some huge Brembo setup. When, if you do have a fairly old car then even replacing them with new standard ones at the same time if not before all the other stuff would be well worth it. Anyway, off topic... carry on.

JasonGilholme
25-09-2007, 10:27 AM
yeah thats true. unless you can find a suitable OEM set from the wreckers.

Zdster
25-09-2007, 10:28 AM
That was kind of the point I was trying to make. A lot of people on here have cars getting on a bit. For the price of braided lines these days, personally I would get them over oem. ADR approved ones of course.

I have been quoted around $300-400 for a set of ADR lines so it is a fair step up from OEM.

aaronng
25-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks guys :)

I was under the impression that fitting stainless steel brake lines will firm up your brakes...

I just bought a set of Trust Front Brake Pads for $140.So I'll fit them and see if that's enough.
If your main objective is to firm up your brakes, go for the brake master cylinder stopper first. After that, go for brake lines.

beeza
25-09-2007, 10:52 AM
fit the same rated pads front n rear :) Braking balance is a good thing.

If I just fitted the front ones would it be no good for any reason though.Sorry about all the questions,just curious...

These Goodridge Brake lines of ebay.com in the states are $114 US,no shipping cost supplied... As long as they are ADR approved they look like a good choice.
Goodridge Brake line kit (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GOODRIDGE-BRAKE-LINE-KIT-96-00-HONDA-CIVIC-20020_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33562QQihZ011QQit emZ320161091792QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V)

aaronng
25-09-2007, 10:58 AM
If I just fitted the front ones would it be no good for any reason though.Sorry about all the questions,just curious...

These Goodridge Brake lines of ebay.com in the states are $114 US,no shipping cost supplied... As long as they are ADR approved they look like a good choice.
Goodridge Brake line kit (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GOODRIDGE-BRAKE-LINE-KIT-96-00-HONDA-CIVIC-20020_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33562QQihZ011QQit emZ320161091792QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V)
By fitting the fronts and leaving the rear stock, you upset the original brake balance by having more biting force up front, thus making a larger shift in weight to the front when you brake hard.

I'm not sure if Goodridge lines are ADR approved. It probably won't have the ADR approval number on it since they come from the US. But from the pics, they have the teflon sleeve, which makes the difference between an ADR approved line and a US DOT approved line.

Zdster
25-09-2007, 10:59 AM

I agree, however as I said before, depending on who you speak to and how you interpret your local road authorities laws (ie Vicroads), the Goodridge lines may or may not be legal (due to adr's).

When I investigated this some time ago all I got was confusion and no one was able to give me a straight answer as to if they were legal. They only way I was told to make sure that they are 100% legal is if the lines come with certification that they are specifically adr compliant.

beeza
25-09-2007, 11:28 AM
I have the Cusco Brake stopper.
I will look to get the rear pads aswell as what you said makes perfect sense.
Thank you guys.

dsp26
25-09-2007, 01:19 PM
I have been quoted around $300-400 for a set of ADR lines so it is a fair step up from OEM.

Not sure if your in Sydney mate but Race Brakes Sydney (not the same as the Race brakes in VIC) quoted me $160 a pair for 28cm braided + teflon + fittings and ADR approval tag....:thumbsup:

dsp26
25-09-2007, 01:22 PM
i had braided lines before and i never trakced my car... combined with:
- brake stopper
- slotted rotors
- decent pads
- good fluids

the stopping power and brake response is instantaneous unlike just having the brake stopper where it FEELS responsive

it's an especially good combo with the brake stopper (if you get all 4 corners) as it eliminates all possible flex in the system... was soooo good that it becomes very apparent when you have half-arsed tyres that break traction quicker...

but then again stopping power is a good combination of Brakes, tyres, Suspension setup.

Zdster
25-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Not sure if your in Sydney mate but Race Brakes Sydney (not the same as the Race brakes in VIC) quoted me $160 a pair for 28cm braided + teflon + fittings and ADR approval tag....:thumbsup:

So times by two (for front and rear) and we are in the same sort of money :). My point was more directed at the 'prepackaged' overseas lines.

beeza
25-09-2007, 01:44 PM
What is a good fluid to use?

dsp26
25-09-2007, 02:17 PM
So times by two (for front and rear) and we are in the same sort of money :). My point was more directed at the 'prepackaged' overseas lines.

all good all good... i thought you were quoting a pair which seems to be the going rate with traders.

the cheaper alternative was ordering from the states (not ADR approved) but can be engineered and have the coloured adr tag crimped on. works out cheaper only if you have a lot of other stuff getting engineered since i was getting quoted along the lines of ~US$80 for a set of 4 SS braided+ teflon + fittings.

Zdster
25-09-2007, 02:18 PM
What is a good fluid to use?

Depends on your application. Street? Track?

beeza
25-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Street.

aaronng
25-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Street.

Honda brake fluid. :thumbsup:

beeza
25-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Sweet.Dat's what I'm using :)

aaronng
25-09-2007, 04:34 PM
High performance brake fluid can withstand higher temperatures, but they absorb moisture quicker. So if your car was a track car, go for something like Motul RBF600. But for street, nothing beats the longevity and bang for your buck of Honda brake fluid, except for Castrol's Super DOT4 Response.

beeza
28-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Got a quote from Maltech:
"4 x Stainless braided brake hoses to suit Honda Civic are $ 375.00 Inc GST & Postage
These are ADR Approved and tested to 3500psi
Kit will come with 8 new Copper washers"

Zdster
28-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Got a quote from Maltech:
"4 x Stainless braided brake hoses to suit Honda Civic are $ 375.00 Inc GST & Postage
These are ADR Approved and tested to 3500psi
Kit will come with 8 new Copper washers"

:thumbsup:

JasonGilholme
28-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Have a look at brakequip as well.

I'm sure they're around about 50 - 100 per corner as well ADR apprvd.