PDA

View Full Version : 96 civic sedan seat belt problem

unicorn
24-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Does anyone know is there any different between the rear seat belts of a 96 ek hatch and a sedan? I have bought a pair of seat belts from a hatch for my sedan. But I can't pull the belt out after I have bolted it on. Can anyone help??

BaNaNaMaN
25-09-2007, 10:07 AM
That can be caused by the mounting angle. Rear belts have a kinda "tilt" switch in them so when the car is on an excessive angle the belts lock.

Try backing the bolt off where you mounted them and set them at less of an angle and see if they pull out.

unicorn
25-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks for your advice. But I found out the 2 belts are pulling out in different angle. I rang up honda today and they told me the 2 belts are the same model. Is there a way that I can change the angle of that belt so it would fit into my car?

omgzilla
25-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Are you sure you have the belts around the right way? As in Left to Right.

Play around with them (not installed) and note the angle at which they retract they must be mounted in on this angle. If they simply won't mount on the required angle, be sure you have the correct belts. If installed in the correct retracting angle there shouldn't be any problems.

I had to change all of the seat belts in my Skyline when I bought that and i actually got supplied the wrong belts twice! Then once I finally got a set that retracted on the correct angle I installed them on a bit too much of an angle, so when I was on the slightest of a hill they wouldn't allow you to pull on them. It was a nightmare.

So just a tip: Once you've roughly worked out the required angle, make sure you mount them in between the limits (up/down or left/right) of the mechanisms' locking angle. ;)

unicorn
28-09-2007, 12:33 PM
I have spent 2 hrs to bolt the belt but it is still not working. Now I know the belt from a hatch will not fit into a sedan for sure. The angle for pulling out the belt is different. Anyway thanks.

omgzilla
28-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Yeh mate, i'd be hunting for a set of sedan belts.

I was told that silvia belts are "DEFINITELY" at the same angle as skyline belts - i found out after 4 hours of mucking around, trying to fit the buggers, that they definitely DON'T fit.

Fitting seat belts sucks!