PDA

View Full Version : Euro creaks and rattles

yfin
02-08-2004, 01:43 PM
Some of you who look at the US TSX forums will be aware of the squeaks and rattles with the Euro..

My dashboard sqeaks from time to time when turning and the front passenger door creaks over large bumps. The driver's seat sometimes creaks as well.

None of these are loud enough to really bother me and I can only hear them with the radio turned off and on a quiet road (ie no cars around, etc). The Euro is so well insulated these sorts of squeaks are noticeable if I listen carefully. I imagine, however, that many people who drive Euros would not even notice and too busy enjoying the ride.

Anyway - the question is - when I get my car serviced this week by Honda do I get the dealer to look into the creaks and rattles?

My gut feeling is "no" as I don't want a minor creak and squeak becomming a huge problem when they pull apart the dash searching for the issue and trying to replicate the problem. I figure the less times they pull apart my dash, etc the better but maybe I am wrong on this. What do you think I should do? I am unsure

Regards

vtecinaccord
02-08-2004, 02:56 PM
Yes i agree the more time you pull apart your car the more rattles you will get, i dont know how long it will last before it starts getting small squeeks etc........The biggest problem i have with my 94 Accord is the door seals creak. they seem to have lost there greayness of the new ones.. anyone know how to fix that??? appart from brand new ones..

PERTH_EURO
02-08-2004, 03:55 PM
I wouldnt worry about it either. When things get pulled apart, clips break, trim gets scrathed etc. Not worth it in MHO
You will never eliminate squeeks n rattles.

Fortunatley my accord has no rattles yet which is a good thing (3500km done) How many has urs done yfin?

Will be interesting to see how my car fairs after being pulled apart for a major sound install, part of which will be installing sound deadener .

yfin
02-08-2004, 05:10 PM
My car has done 10,300kms. Apart from the squeaks, creaks, wheel alignment going off (twice) and tinting problems - it is a great car.

The car hasn't seen dirt or gravel roads so the rattles aren't there due to poor road surface.

EuroAccord13
02-08-2004, 05:24 PM
I am starting to hear slight rattles in my car now, the A Pillar(but with a bang with my hand it stops) I am also getting cracking sounds when I wind down my driver side window and there is wind noise coming from the window too... So far I've not heard anything squeaking from the dashboard area, mostly the pillars and the door...

Yoram, does your car sway to the left or your steering isn't straight? if it's to the left it's normal because of us being right hand drive and vice versa for left hand drive. If it goes to the Right, then you better get it checked..

CHEERS
Nick

kanthan
02-08-2004, 05:44 PM
if my car starts to creak....the first chance i get i will take it back to honda. i will tell them, if continues to creak, they will continue to see the car every single time...

VW pride themselves on their good builds and tend to creaks very fast and they do a great job, i cant see why honda cant do the same.

yfin
02-08-2004, 06:16 PM
Gday Nick - car sways to the left if I take my hand off wheel on a perfectly flat road (say road around Albert park lake). When I got my new rims they said the front alignment was off spec from factory (they checked with lasers) and they fixed it. Now it has gone off again for no apparent reason (pot holes?).

Nick - I saw a "solution" posted for the drivers side window creak on one of the Acura TSX forums. Aparently the windows close very tight and put too much pressure on the door frame. The solution (which apparently works) is to wind your window to the top then lower the window slightly (press button for a fraction of a second - the window should remain closed but not pushing the seals so hard). Give that a go.

Gday kanthan - I agree it shouldn't creak - I am just worried if I give my car to Honda they will get their apprentice mechanic to spend a whole day pulling my dash apart and hunting for the problem. I could end up with more creaks than I have now with the dealer saying "sorry - we couldn't replicate the problem". Further, I don't think any of the TSX owners in the states have found a total solution. The dealers sometimes fix one creak then another is created! Hard to know what to do on this one.

euro77
02-08-2004, 06:33 PM
My car has been creaking as well on the passenger's door, when I had the dealer check for it, they simply just say it's because of my non-standard front speakers and they would not touch it at all because it is not a warranty issue anymore. However, the middle section now under the transmission starts to creaks as well, haven't talked to the dealer yet, but I have a hunch they will say something else if they can't fix it.

jtboo
04-08-2004, 11:29 AM
My euro has done 20,000 km, and it has creaks from the rear when going over bumps or on gravel/rough roads (not sure where exactly). Had my suspension checked (because I lowered my car) and nothing was found to be wrong. However, no squeaks or rattles from the front yet :wink:

h22a accord
04-08-2004, 12:08 PM
my 94 vti has next to none squeaks or rattles. i drive it hard and take it every where including stock routes bwahahah.

There is the problem of the parcel shelf making noise when i turn up the stereo though but its only cos of the sub.

The way i see it, sqeaks and rattles in cars are part of life, honda's are very good at not having many. If i bought an M5 BMW or something, then it might bother me if it had rattles. But a $40000 euro with a few rattles in nothing to worry about. Im sure out of all the 40k cars you can buy they would have more squeaks and rattles than a euro.

EuroSip
05-08-2004, 11:42 PM
There use to be a rattle at where the front passenger door use to be in my car...but then i realised it's actually the seat belt buckle knocking against the b-pillar...so check that first...

as for rattling in the dash...i've been getting that too...but it's probably a lose item somewhere else in the car...just get the service people to tighten everything....except for my first service...they forgot to screw in a bolt and i only found out when i noticed a plate of metal hanging from underneath the car when i was cleaning the car...

viperx
06-08-2004, 11:44 PM
The woodgrain on my gen5 rattles... i've been tempted to rip it apart and fix it but i guess better not...

Rowie
07-08-2004, 11:18 AM
nothing like getting a new car... you will always notice creaks no matter what car you drive. Whats even worse than getting a creak is getting your first car park scratch or ding. Nothing you can do about it :)

juve
09-08-2004, 10:47 PM
The only issue ive got with my euro (2500kms) is lets say the volume on the radio is up at 13, when i listen to AM say talkback sometimes I hear a high pitched noise, it also occurs when i change from radio to CD (where there is a slight pause before the music kicks off). My radio is setup to one less from maximum for both Bass and Treble. Has anyone else noticed that or is just my car?