PDA

View Full Version : Car accident due to brake failure

Spinout
02-08-2004, 03:26 PM
Yesterday my mum crashed my car into another car because of the brakes.
She said that when it was a red light, she slowed down and then the brakes felt very soft and went all the way down, after it went to the point where it was flat footed the car kept rolling and before she had time to react to the handbrake she bumped my car into the other car.
Lucky the other car was infront of her otherwise she would had rolled onto the intersection and who knows after that.

Anyways, the mechanic that replaced my brake pads last week I dont know if it is him to blame of is it my brakes.

And what is needed to be done to fix it?

Javed
02-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Sounds like possible master brake cylinder failure. When my brake pedal used to go to the floor and lost pressure i had ot get it replaced. Used to have to keep kindap umping theb rakes to get em working decently.

Toby
02-08-2004, 03:40 PM
There might be air in the break lines which would be from the mechanic not bleeding them.

Psyklops
02-08-2004, 03:48 PM
yeah I agree with Toby....I replaced my pads on the weekend, and found that after I had pushed the piston back into the caliper housing with a g clamp, the pedal was very soft, so I bled them a bit to ensure no air was in the system, and the pedal came up nice and firm. (god that sounds dodgy! hehehe ;) )...metinks he didn't do his job very well...sux dude :(

Spinout
02-08-2004, 04:23 PM
Ah thanks guys.
Is there a way to get a law suit on this punk ass mechanic?
Could of killed my mum or me.

davey
02-08-2004, 07:46 PM
thats sucks dude.
im not too sure how you can file a case on the mechanic tho

is the damage on the car bad?

Spinout
02-08-2004, 08:38 PM
Forget the law suit lol
I'll just complain to his employer, and maybe he will have a harder time at work from now on.

Not really bad,
It's a fibreglass body kit, and the damaged areas are mainly around the headlight area. It's chipped off some fibreglass off the edge of the eyes of the kit.
Would it have to be repaired and the whole kit resprayed?
or just a quick repair and touch up?

Spinout
03-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Ok i've went to a mechanic
They need to get me a new Master Cylinder put in cost all up with labor = $370
Is that a good price?

Guess what I saw in their workshop?
This one fully sick TYPE R
license plate - COO-OOG
its a black Type R I didnt get a chance to ask about the specs
but he goes its got everything in it
I even see the racing bars ontop ot the ceiling of the car and stuff.
Must be one hell of a beast.

Javed
03-08-2004, 06:11 PM
so i was right in the end hey hehe? My master cylinder installed cost me bout that. IF you are any good at DIY there is a tutorial on team integra how to change it yourself. This is the best website for ANYTHING on the integra, from changing brake pads to adjusting the valves. www.team-integra.net sign and and read the tutorials, trsut me you wont regret it!

Spinout
03-08-2004, 06:29 PM
Yeh you were right, thanks Javed.

It's okay I might screw something up so I'll let the pro's do it until I have more generalised knowledge in all parts and stuff.

ECU-MAN
03-08-2004, 08:37 PM
Ah thanks guys.
Is there a way to get a law suit on this punk ass mechanic?
Could of killed my mum or me.

you will have to proove that accident was direct result of the mechanics neglegence not common master cylinder failure, take it somewhere and have the master cylinder checked out. the bore is probably scoored and the piston seals rooted, if thats the case its probably not the mechanics fault. bleed your brakes 1st to see if they got air in them.

Spinout
04-08-2004, 08:29 AM
It's okay I was just joking.
hehe
If it was his fault I'd blow up his workshop instead.

Im going to get my master cylinder replaced today, for $370.
I hope thats an o.k price.

SLIK_TEG
08-08-2004, 02:59 PM
during summer, i have the same problem where the pedal goes all the way in 2 the floor and it gets really hard to break or slow down (when it heats up after driving)!

could this b a possible factory fault with the integra range??

ECU-MAN
08-08-2004, 04:12 PM
during summer, i have the same problem where the pedal goes all the way in 2 the floor and it gets really hard to break or slow down (when it heats up after driving)!

could this b a possible factory fault with the integra range??

no its common to all hondas, repair or replace your master cylinder.

repair will be cheaper, you can get overhaul kits from Honda, but only worth doing if the bore of the master cylinder isnt badly scored.