PDA

View Full Version : vti or no vti?

misterandyle
26-09-2007, 03:06 PM
hey guys, i own a 1998 honda civic coupe, i was having doubts as to when the vti kicks in my car? i cant hear it .....sigh my exhast is way too loud! my previous owner installed methinks a 3.5 inch cannon, so yeah i cant hear anything? yeah are the 1996-98 models vti? a mechanic mate of mine who works for honda said my car is not vti? i got no clue...hahaha, i was under the impression all civic coupes from another thread says there all vti

Sydsyd
26-09-2007, 03:13 PM
vti:confused: u mean the vtec?

first, u have to check ur engine code ie D16Yx where x tells u whether it has vtec (Y8) or not (Y4)...if urs is D16Y8 then u'd hear vtec on around 6600rpm and above (i think that's the stock activation point)...if it's a D16Y4, then u'll have to imagine having a vtec:p

the earlier civic coupes (EJ8) has 2 models/ranges (i think): GLi (D16Y4 SOHC Non-VTEC) and VTi (D16Y8 SOHC VTEC)...

pls feel free to correct me if i have wrote something wrong:)

what do u mean by 3.5 inch cannon? if u think it's too loud, then change the muffler to a smaller one...

SeverAMV
26-09-2007, 03:13 PM
i think you're referring to vtec. vtec is a noticeable sudden boost in performance. vti is valve timing with intelligence, which kinda adjusts the valve timing to match your throttle on the fly, and is smoother, hence you shouldnt notice vti as much as you would notice vtec.

SiReal
26-09-2007, 03:30 PM
sohc-vtec is hopeless and almost unnoticeable compared to DOHC VTEC.

Just look in your books and see what engine code you have.

aaronng
26-09-2007, 03:33 PM
i think you're referring to vtec. vtec is a noticeable sudden boost in performance. vti is valve timing with intelligence, which kinda adjusts the valve timing to match your throttle on the fly, and is smoother, hence you shouldnt notice vti as much as you would notice vtec.

No, vti doesn't mean valve timing with intelligence. It just means "VTEC fuel injected".

If he has a Y8, it's an SOHC VTEC, so he won't hear the difference. I think the crossover point is also around 3000-4000rpm.

DreadAngel
26-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Nah DOHC VTEC noticable performance gain, you can actually feel and hear the crossover, SOHC VTEC is baby vtec, all whine and little in gain, hear the noise but not the feel ;) If its anything like my D16Y1, you'll hear it "crossover" at around what Aaron said @ 4K.

The only Coupes available in 98 were the VTis so you "should" have Baby VTEC at the least otherwise you got smacked lol

SiReal
26-09-2007, 03:39 PM
At the end of the day, VTEC is overrated. esp on a sohc engine. so to get the most, just slap on the usual I/H/E combo, coilovers, lighteight wheels and you'll be happy for a while.

aaronng
26-09-2007, 03:40 PM
SOHC VTEC = great fuel consumption!
DOHC VTEC = what fuel consumptioBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

aimre
26-09-2007, 03:51 PM
i think you're referring to vtec. vtec is a noticeable sudden boost in performance.

Hahahaha, funniest thing i've heard all day.

jamchen
26-09-2007, 03:52 PM
sohc-vtec is hopeless and almost unnoticeable compared to DOHC VTEC.

Just look in your books and see what engine code you have.

MDX is SOHC -VTEC....:( but still has healthy 191kw (or 195KW with twinpipe muffler):thumbsup:

DreadAngel
26-09-2007, 03:55 PM

+1 lol...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/AMPERAGE/1120736409453.jpg

Weq
26-09-2007, 03:57 PM

I dont know why u did just quote his whole post. Its laughable to say the least...

"Intelligence" "adjusts value timing to your throttle position"

Complete genious you are.

You like, 12yrs old right? How does increasing duration and valve lift in any way help fuel consumption??? SOHC vtec has a secondary loab profile on the intake cam. Its a pretty simple concept actuallyYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

SiReal
26-09-2007, 04:01 PM
SOHC only has one cam, that combines both intake and exhaust?!?!

SeverAMV
26-09-2007, 04:03 PM
well the last vti system i saw used a sliding camshaft design with a progressive trapezoid shaped lobe. as you adjust your throttle position, it slides down to utilise the width of the base of the trapezoid to maximise valve duration.
hence it was valve timing with intelligence.

DreadAngel
26-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Erm... you referring to A-VTEC? :p

dc2dc2dc2
26-09-2007, 04:05 PM
VTi just kicked in y0~

aimre
26-09-2007, 04:05 PM
SOHC only has one cam, that combines both intake and exhaust?!?!

yeah but VTEC only effects the intake lobes

huytek
26-09-2007, 04:06 PM
ahh
if its a 98 coupe
that would be a vtir
pretty daym sure coupes in that time dont come in vti

unless ur vtec fell off.....

DreadAngel
26-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Nope, VTi Coupe was available Pre 99 ;)

Post 99 was when VTi-R Coupe aka EM1 was brought in and the only other Coupe at that time was the GLi

dc2dc2dc2
26-09-2007, 04:13 PM
facelift ftw~!

SiReal
26-09-2007, 04:15 PM
unless ur vtec fell off.....

oohhh. yeah possibly your vtec DID fall off. you might want to get a mechanic to check it over for you. Might need to have it remounted with the right torque settings to get the most out of your boosting experience....

huytek
26-09-2007, 04:21 PM
ah yes 96-98....my mistake

however i was serious about ur vtec falling off

DreadAngel
26-09-2007, 04:22 PM
LOL!!!

Its all good man hahahaha

VTEC Solenoid not plugged in properly, like someone I know lol ;)

SiReal
26-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Like you yoey. silly toyota driver hahah

DreadAngel
26-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Bahhhh... just cause I got some gizzmo called VVTL-i or something Geff lol (tell me I spelt it right for once XD)

aimre
26-09-2007, 04:28 PM
well the last vti system i saw used a sliding camshaft design with a progressive trapezoid shaped lobe. as you adjust your throttle position, it slides down to utilise the width of the base of the trapezoid to maximise valve duration.

Homer: Got any of that beer that has candy floating in it? You know, Skittlebrau?
Apu: Such a beer does not exist, sir. I think you must have dreamed it.
Homer: Oh. Well, then just give me a six-pack and a couple of bags of Skittles.

aaronng
26-09-2007, 04:36 PM
You like, 12yrs old right? How does increasing duration and valve lift in any way help fuel consumption??? SOHC vtec has a secondary loab profile on the intake cam. Its a pretty simple concept actuallyYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

Close, I'm actually 11.

SOHC lets the engine have very low valve lift and decreased duration at low RPM, and then switching to regularly profiled lobes at middle to high RPM. :) If a non-variable valve engine was fitted with low valve lift cams, then it would not make enough torque at mid-range RPM.

In SOHC VTEC, there is enough space only for VTEC on the intake cams. So it is used to improve mixing at low RPM instead. If it had a high lift profile but kept the exhaust cam lift the same throughout the RPM range, the engine wouldn't be able to evacuate all the exhaust gases in time for the next cycle.

aaronng
26-09-2007, 04:38 PM
A Honda Civic is not an F430. Put down that bong please. :zip:

SeverAMV
26-09-2007, 05:21 PM
A Honda Civic is not an F430. Put down that bong please. :zip:

and where in that post did i say it was a honda? thats the only vti system i've seen, and its not my fault honda use the vti abbreviation differently.

aaronng
26-09-2007, 05:29 PM
and where in that post did i say it was a honda? thats the only vti system i've seen, and its not my fault honda use the vti abbreviation differently.

We were talking about a Civic Coupe. Not another brand of car.

cristian
26-09-2007, 05:31 PM

ooooh man me new sig...

misterandyle
26-09-2007, 10:04 PM
vti:confused: u mean the vtec?

first, u have to check ur engine code ie D16Yx where x tells u whether it has vtec (Y8) or not (Y4)...if urs is D16Y8 then u'd hear vtec on around 6600rpm and above (i think that's the stock activation point)...if it's a D16Y4, then u'll have to imagine having a vtec:p

the earlier civic coupes (EJ8) has 2 models/ranges (i think): GLi (D16Y4 SOHC Non-VTEC) and VTi (D16Y8 SOHC VTEC)...

pls feel free to correct me if i have wrote something wrong:)

what do u mean by 3.5 inch cannon? if u think it's too loud, then change the muffler to a smaller one...

yeha mines a y4 so i guess i have to imagine i have a vtec, sigh!! so much for me getting soo excited!! hahah

aimre
27-09-2007, 01:42 AM
yeha mines a y4 so i guess i have to imagine i have a vtec, sigh!! so much for me getting soo excited!! hahah

dont worry, that happens with a b series too. All these people just imagine the power.

I mean think about it, people on here actually think they feel the diffrence between a airbox and a pod filter

Vinnie
27-09-2007, 06:37 AM
louder = faster

every honda driver knows this...

gettin a tad sick of all the vtec threads around. sum1 put up a sticky with big, bold letters explaining it :p

SiReal
27-09-2007, 09:15 AM
VTEC is overrated. I'll say it again. VTEC IS OVERRATED.

Unless you have an S2000 or Type R - something aggressive.

Enjoy your EJ8 for what it is. lucky you, getting a coupe. nice cars. I want...

koitsuu
27-09-2007, 09:46 AM
I'm currently driving an EJ8 and vtec on this car is so soft, it doesnt seem to be there lol. When vtec engages there dont seem to be a power boost just gets a big loud...

JDM_VTIR
27-09-2007, 12:48 PM
vti just kicked in ? thats whack. :thumbdwn:

DreadAngel
27-09-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm currently driving an EJ8 and vtec on this car is so soft, it doesnt seem to be there lol. When vtec engages there dont seem to be a power boost just gets a big loud...

EJ8 = D16Y8 = SOHC VTEC = VTEC for shits and giggles so you can say @ the light, "Hey fellas, I've got VTEC yO!"

cristian
27-09-2007, 05:07 PM
EJ8 = D16Y8 = SOHC VTEC = VTEC for shits and giggles so you can say @ the light, "Hey fellas, I've got VTEC yO!"

:D

turn off ur air con when u hit 4000rpm...for the ultimate "Double VTECH" :D:thumbsup:

DreadAngel
27-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Nah, cut out the bottom and use your feet too, Triple VTAK + VTC dependent on your legs ;)