PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat problem?

Kazaf
27-09-2007, 04:07 PM
My car seems to take a while for it to reach the right temperature on the dash. I would drive slowly for about 3-5 minutes before it would actually get to the middle. Whereas when I drive my dad's Camry it would take less than 2 minutes.
Is this normal for a DC2R?

Is my thermostat playing up?
I've also when I engage VTEC it feels like nothing at all? Is the thermostat affecting it?

dc2dc2dc2
27-09-2007, 04:11 PM
does ur thermastat jump around ?

ie go to cold while ur cruising on freeway. Or once it gets to operating temp it stays there ? 3-5 minutes sounds normal man.

VTAKYO
27-09-2007, 04:12 PM
ur car is broken, buy a new 1.

hahahahahah

Kazaf
27-09-2007, 04:18 PM
I was only wondering.
By the time I drive my dad's camry out of my street it'll be warm.
By the time I drive my dc2r there, it's still cold.

dc2dc2dc2
27-09-2007, 04:21 PM
depends on car dude. LOL

i don't think u have anything to worry about.

xntrik
27-09-2007, 04:28 PM
I think its normal for a dc2-r to take 3-5 minutes to warm up.

DUST
27-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Its normal.

If your car stays on cold for long long period of time, then you have problems.

Maybe you have a SPOON thermostat, they run cooler, so your engine don't over heat.

Zilli
27-09-2007, 05:13 PM
i have the same problem myself, and there is a lot of good information in the stickies in the Integra forum "integra running cold"

Taking a while to wamr up is one indication, but the bigger indication is how the temp reading on your cluster drops down below the normal operating temperature during a cold night when you are coasting... im yet to replace mine, but i am quite mindful of it and dont give the car much stick at the moment

bennjamin
27-09-2007, 05:28 PM
your thermostat is stuck in the open position. Replace it , as your car will jsut run rich / waste fuel and generally run crap.

fatboyz39
27-09-2007, 05:34 PM
When driving on freeway does the temp gauge go down?

I think its just normal for it to warm up that long. We changed thermostat and it took as long with the old one. Wasted money for nothing.

marky53
27-09-2007, 06:05 PM
my dc2r is exactly the same.... as long as yours stays on about the middle once its warm then its fine.... remember not to vtec during this warm up time as

1) you should never thrash a car until its warm and
2) vtec wont engage anyway until the engine is warm enough....

xtc.thai
27-09-2007, 07:05 PM
your thermostat is stuck in the open position. Replace it , as your car will jsut run rich / waste fuel and generally run crap.

yep, if it takes a while to warm up then just drops below operating temperature while driving that means your thermostat is stuck open. and your car will be on fast idle, mean you will run rich and use more fuel.

these things are easy to replace but not sure how much it cost. you can D.I.Y

DLO01
27-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Sounds fine to me.

Spunkymonkey
27-09-2007, 08:40 PM
yes...sounds normal....if it drops down to cold whilst driving...after its warmed up...thats your thermostat....

or if it doesn't even move..or go past the white line like mine...its the temp sensor lol

Angie
27-09-2007, 09:24 PM
According to honda "thermostats in hondas dont break, they just dont" thats what i was told the other week when it kept going hot then cold - sticky thermostat, replaced, no problems since, stupid honda

Spunkymonkey
27-09-2007, 09:53 PM
According to honda "thermostats in hondas dont break, they just dont" thats what i was told the other week when it kept going hot then cold - sticky thermostat, replaced, no problems since, stupid honda

they don't break...they just stop working lol

dc2dc2dc2
27-09-2007, 10:30 PM
lol yeh mine didn't break

thermastat still closed/opened the only thing wrong was the rubber part wasn't sealed so coolant was flowing through anwaysy when it opened up. LOL